Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 01:16 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
In regards to Playa, I didn't feel any different than Cancun. It has really grown in the past few years. There were lots of excursions available from there, zip lines, dive the cenotes, visit the ruins, other day trips. Lots of nice resorts, we stayed at Royal Haciendas. The beaches were nice, not the best I've seen in the Caribbean.
I wasn't real pleased with the shopping area due to being offered every illegal substance under the sun, all types (and I mean ALL) of prostitution, within 10 minutes of getting out of the taxi. There were lots of shops , just like San Miguel in Cozumel or the markets in Cancun.
Easy access from the airport, although a little bit of a ride.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:53 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...l-warning.html

"Yucatan (includes Merida and Chichen Itza): No advisory is in effect"
Old 08-30-2017, 10:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-16 Deluxe w 1981 Evinrude 140
Take the ferry to Cozumel instead. IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcfarland View Post
What's everyone's opinion on playa del carmen. We stayed at a time share several years ago and ended up driving to playa del carmen almost every night. 5th avenue was fun and felt safe. We're going back for our 20th anniversary. We'll be there 9/30 to 10/4
Old 10-24-2017, 07:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2010 Prostar 197 TT
Hi Team, after everyone's input I just want to report on our time on Isla Mujeres. We had a fantastic vacation from start to finish. Everything was as we wanted, easy access to the town, the beach, the pool and loads of good places to eat. It was very relaxed, the typical vendors offering everything and we found the locals very friendly. One night we had to prepare for hurricane Nate, all the shutters were closed and had to stay in but it veered off before it got to us. We did all the usual things like snorkeling and hired scooters and golf carts and explored the island. We felt very safe the whole time, I don't know if we were reckless or not but no sign of any unpleasantness. I would recommend where we stayed in a flash, The Ixchell Beach Hotel.
Thanks again everyone!
Old 10-24-2017, 08:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 08 SANTE 230
Great to hear! glad you had a good time
Old 10-25-2017, 01:25 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Sammy Duvall 205
Just curious, most of what I have heard is that it is more geared toward an adult vacation, and not really kid friendly, what are your thoughts ?
Did you do any scuba diving while you were there ? Wanted to see if it was like Cozumel (great) or more like Cancun (not so great) ?
Glad you had a good time ! And got back safe !
Old 10-25-2017, 10:09 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKMC205SammyDuvall View Post
Did you do any scuba diving while you were there ? Wanted to see if it was like Cozumel (great) or more like Cancun (not so great)
I dove Cancun in 1989, not a bad 1st 4 ocean dives, would not go back for that purpose. My understanding of that entire area was its so-so. Outside the cenotes, the bullsharks and snokeling with the whalesharks, you'd be mostly unimpressed. Found this trip report on the reefs:

DIVING THE C58 WRECK & OTHER REEFS
There's also a small wreck which used to be a US minesweeper that we dove the second week (it was a weather casualty the first week) which is a pleasant, though not spectacular, dive. One thing is that it's located in a channel between Isla and Cancun on the mainland so there's almost always a current there, and sometimes a stiff one. We were fortunate this time in that we tied up to the permanent mooring for the descent and came up the same line at the end of the dive.

The wreck itself, with a max depth of 80 feet, is nothing on the order of the wrecks in Truk, but is pleasant enough. And it's also open enough that you can safely "penetrate" it and cruise through the corridors. In the aft end, there's usually a large school of grunts and snappers that make for nice photos set against the blue open-water background. We also found a few lionfish under the bow (north end) of the wreck.

Water temp was around 80º and visibility a good 80 feet or so, which was pretty much the length of the wreck.

Reef-wise, we mainly dove around Manchones 1 & 2. The reefs of Isla are pleasant but not spectacular. Even though it's only 60 miles away, this is not Cozumel-quality diving. But you will notice and be impressed by the very large schools of yellow snappers and grunts that populate all of the reef areas. Each of the small schools will have hundreds and hundreds of fish clustered together. We also saw some turtles (both Green and Hawksbill, and I saw a Loggerhead two years ago) and there were plenty of Angelfish (French, Gray, Blue, and Queen), lots of damsels and other small fish, and the requisite parrotfish. There's also some very nice Elkhorn coral in the shallower areas of the reefs.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:02 PM
MC Devotee

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...rs-Cancun.html
Old 04-13-2018, 05:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft XT22 2018 5500GDI
It’s ridiculous! My wife and I are celebrating our 10yr anniversary next week and have had a trip to Cancun booked for almost a year! I have spent the last 2 days trying to get our reservations changed to another location. You know if it sounds bad in the news it’s actually way worse. They do everything they can to keep things under wrap so people won’t be cancelling trips there. Their economy is based on tourism and with gang and crime activity like that it’ll dry up quick!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2018, 05:22 PM
MC Devotee

sorry to hear that man

U could always bag drag to Cozumel or take maya air… no drug violence there and a much better destination IMO