Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-02-2017, 07:59 PM
dodgers1285

Cutting into fiberglass for subwoofer

I talked to a stereo shop about installing a sub and amp into my boat. They gave me 3 options.
1. Put a sub under the passenger side storage, beneath the amps, and leave it sealed.
2. Same location as above, but they would cut a piece of the boat out, near the bottom of the walk through to the bow. I guess that let's the sound out.
3. Cut a section out in the fiberglass, again in the walkway to the bow, and mount the sub there like a big speaker.

My question is, does cutting into the fiberglass negatively effect the structural integrity of the deck or boat? I'm little worried about cracks starting from the drilling and they would keep going. Will this void my warranty? I'd prefer to just seal the sub, but guy said it would muffle the sound and I would lose some storage (opposed to mounting in the walkway).

I've seen threads about the best location for subs, so I won't start a new one for that. But hoping someone can address my concern about damaging the boat.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X35
Mine is mounted in a box behind the driver kickplate (wetsounds xxx powered by JL HD750). They opened up a large part of the fiberglass and then we have a grill/plate mounted over that. Going on 3 years and absolutely zero issues. No spider cracking, etc...

Greg
Old 11-02-2017, 10:07 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgers1285 View Post
I talked to a stereo shop about installing a sub and amp into my boat. They gave me 3 options.
1. Put a sub under the passenger side storage, beneath the amps, and leave it sealed.
2. Same location as above, but they would cut a piece of the boat out, near the bottom of the walk through to the bow. I guess that let's the sound out.
3. Cut a section out in the fiberglass, again in the walkway to the bow, and mount the sub there like a big speaker.

My question is, does cutting into the fiberglass negatively effect the structural integrity of the deck or boat? I'm little worried about cracks starting from the drilling and they would keep going. Will this void my warranty? I'd prefer to just seal the sub, but guy said it would muffle the sound and I would lose some storage (opposed to mounting in the walkway).

I've seen threads about the best location for subs, so I won't start a new one for that. But hoping someone can address my concern about damaging the boat.
A couple of suggestion here.

1. Use this link to make new account so you don't show as a guest.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/register.php

2. What year and model is your boat?

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 11-03-2017, 12:28 AM
dodgers1285

Wont let me make new account with my existing email.

I just bought a 2018 NXT22. I have the stock stereo and 4 speakers. Just wanted to add on the amp and sub somewhere.
Old 11-03-2017, 03:47 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I wouldn't drill anything in anything.
I have a single 12" Boston sub box w passive radiator in front of the helm behind the front seat, it hits pretty hard. No need to cut big holes in the boat, IMO.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 11-03-2017, 05:05 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X46 that's not going away for any new Tanker
Using the stock location:
Just tape it up good, draw a circle and cut it out with a jigsaw, be aware the blades wear out quickly. Predrill and countersink the mounting holes.
You generally get much better (controlled) sound with a matching enclosure behind the speaker, factory just does free air because its easier(cheaper) and you can use the space behind the speaker as storage as well.

It's always 5pm somewhere, time for a beer!
Old 11-03-2017, 06:35 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Wont let me make new account with my existing email.

I just bought a 2018 NXT22. I have the stock stereo and 4 speakers. Just wanted to add on the amp and sub somewhere.
As per this message: send a PM to Sodar and ask that you guest account be deleted so you can make a new one.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=45683

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 11-03-2017, 09:01 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:

The effect on structure depends on where the hole is, the % of the panel removed and the weight above the hole. It's easy enough to add material to the backside, though.
Old 11-07-2017, 12:34 AM
dodgers1285

I'm getting the subwoofer installed on Friday. I was just going to have them put one in next to the amps, in a sealed box. I don't want holes being cut into the fiberglass.
But now I'm wondering if I can have them put one in a box on the floor of the bow. And using that box as a base for a bow filler cushion. That also leaves the storage space under the glove box freed up.
Thoughts?? Opinions? Any cons I'm not thinking of?
Old 11-07-2017, 12:58 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
I cut into the walk through fiberglass in an MC205 to install speakers, and it was fine. Yes, it would depend on where you cut as to whether or not it messes with the structural Integrity of the boat, but putting speakers here should be a fine choice. I simply made a template and then drilled holes around the template every few inches. Then I used a Rotozip (poor man's Dremel tool), to cut out the hole for the speaker in a matter of minutes...going from.one drilled holes to another. It's a fairly simple exercise but it's somewhat scary so you have to be careful and measure twice. Good luck.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Tags
stereo, subwoofer, warranty