Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-02-2018, 01:46 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1993 mastercraft stars & stripes 19 ft.
Smile 351w Head replacement

I have a 1993 19ft, stars & stripes edition boat. The motor is stock. One of the heads has a small crack in it which leaks water, not bad but constant. I bought the boat a few months ago knowing this. The previous owner said he has put JB weld on it cow 2 years and ran it. So I have a st of fresh gt 40 heads available, real cheap, so 1) will they fit, 2) what 4 bbl. intake to run, 3) will the water log exhaust work, 4) without a cam change, is it worth it, and finally 5) should I just replace the stock heads. The boat is near perfect except the crack in the head. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:06 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by G60Gates View Post
I have a 1993 19ft, stars & stripes edition boat. The motor is stock. One of the heads has a small crack in it which leaks water, not bad but constant. I bought the boat a few months ago knowing this. The previous owner said he has put JB weld on it cow 2 years and ran it. So I have a st of fresh gt 40 heads available, real cheap, so 1) will they fit, 2) what 4 bbl. intake to run, 3) will the water log exhaust work, 4) without a cam change, is it worth it, and finally 5) should I just replace the stock heads. The boat is near perfect except the crack in the head. Thanks.

1. If they are the GT-40 heads they will bolt right on. If they are GT-40P heads, you will need to drill he head bolt holes to 1/2Ē.
Most popular intake is the
2. Edelbrock Performer intake.
3. Exhaust manifolds will fit.
4. There will be gains in HP with just the heads, more if you add a cam (though this can diminish drivability), more gains if you increase compression by shaving the heads (removing material from the bottom of the head to make the combustion chamber smaller, more gains if you rebuild the engine and stroke it to 427 cubic inches.... Itís a matter of where to stop. Hours on the engine make a difference. If you have a lot of hours and change the heads and cam, you ought to consider a rebuild.
5. As you need to change heads, there is no reason not to go with the GT-40 heads unless itís a budget related thing.

Another thing to consider is your carburetor. Are you still running the Holley 4010 or have you switched to a Holley 4160?

Electronic ignition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 05-03-2018, 07:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 SN196, PCM 330HP 5.7L, ZeroOff
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
1. If they are the GT-40 heads they will bolt right on. If they are GT-40P heads, you will need to drill he head bolt holes to 1/2Ē.
Most popular intake is the
2. Edelbrock Performer intake.
3. Exhaust manifolds will fit.
4. There will be gains in HP with just the heads, more if you add a cam (though this can diminish drivability), more gains if you increase compression by shaving the heads (removing material from the bottom of the head to make the combustion chamber smaller, more gains if you rebuild the engine and stroke it to 427 cubic inches.... Itís a matter of where to stop. Hours on the engine make a difference. If you have a lot of hours and change the heads and cam, you ought to consider a rebuild.
5. As you need to change heads, there is no reason not to go with the GT-40 heads unless itís a budget related thing.

Another thing to consider is your carburetor. Are you still running the Holley 4010 or have you switched to a Holley 4160?

Electronic ignition?

What he said. Bolts right in.

I replaced my GT-40's (water jacket crack) with new GT-40P's (I drilled out the 1/2" bolt holes myself because engine shop forgot to).

Edelbrock Performer definitely improves HP.
Don't skip on painting it. A friend added the aluminum intake and he did not paint it. BIG mistake.

Night and Day difference between the Holley 4010 and 4160 (runs consistent hot & cold, at speed and idle).
Old 05-03-2018, 07:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Searching
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_ski View Post
What he said. Bolts right in.

I replaced my GT-40's (water jacket crack) with new GT-40P's (I drilled out the 1/2" bolt holes myself because engine shop forgot to).

Edelbrock Performer definitely improves HP.
Don't skip on painting it. A friend added the aluminum intake and he did not paint it. BIG mistake.

Night and Day difference between the Holley 4010 and 4160 (runs consistent hot & cold, at speed and idle).
Why would you paint Aluminum Parts??? It defeats the purpose of using Aluminum Parts...
Old 05-03-2018, 07:53 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Unpainted..... my preference...Nothing BIG about paint one way or the other.

I like the Edelbrock OEM contrast.

Attached Images

Old 05-03-2018, 11:31 PM
MC Master Poster

If you want the bare aluminum look, but not the hassle of keeping it looking clean, use a high heat clear coat prior to installation.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Searching
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want the bare aluminum look, but not the hassle of keeping it looking clean, use a high heat clear coat prior to installation.

Coating aluminum parts with anything hinders their ability to expel heat. Not that it would be a big deal either way in this application.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:23 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 35th Anniversary View Post
Coating aluminum parts with anything hinders their ability to expel heat. Not that it would be a big deal either way in this application.

Agreed on both counts.