Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 09-18-2018, 08:36 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Mastercraft Maristar 225 VRS LT1
94 Maristar 225 VRS LT1 Ballast setup

Hello all,
First time Mastercraft owner.
Would love a little advice from someone that has a similar year/model.
Looking for wakeboarding and possibly surfing. Will be installing a tower and perfect
pass at some point soon. 750s or 450s in the rear on each side of the motor?
300-400 in locker? Are you able to get ballast in the bow under seats?
Also looking to build in the system, so pumps,hardware etc. Any suggestion
for vendors other than WakeMakers?
thanks in advance
Mike
Old 09-18-2018, 09:16 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X Star
Ive installed a ballast system in my old 225, You can put a bow sac under the seats but there isn't much room to make it worth it. You might just put some lead up there eventually. As far as pumps I'd recommend the simplicity of the reversible jabsco style. Aerator style pumps are good and actually work better than the reversible, but will get complicated because you would need two for each sac and the wiring and plumbing to go with them, plus they dont self prime so that can cause issues.
You will want perfect pass for sure if you dont already. Wakemakers is who I'd recommend you go with
Old 09-19-2018, 11:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 225 VRS LT1
Here is a link to some older threads with some pretty good recommendations for wakeboarding and surfing on our boats...
https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk...ad.php?t=57325

Also this one...
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=64817

Last winter I put a fully integrated system in my boat and I love it, just makes it so much easier to use the ballast.

My set up is 3 Johnson Ultra Ballast pumps feeding 4 bags and filling and draining through the bottom thru-hulls, vents run from top of the fat sacs out the side with in-line check valves:

Pump 1: Feeds 750lb fat sac in starboard rear locker
Pump 2: Feeds 750lb fat sac in port rear locker
Pump 3: Feeds the ski locker sac and the W711 under seat bow sac with a Y fitting

**Tip: Use a manual ball valve to isolate the locker sac once it's full so the bow sac doesn't drain down into it and push the hatch up while underway.

Last edited by Whalenjf; 09-20-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:40 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Mastercraft Maristar 225 VRS LT1
Great info, thanks. Did you reinforce your side covers in the rear lockers? My batteries are currently located in the rear locker.. suggest moving them to get a larger bag in there? What size bag did you get in your ski locker? Did you use timers at all or are they not worth the trouble. For some reason the links above are not working for me. Will be ordering a perfect pass this week, just need to double check my speedo gauge size.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 225 VRS LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperKat View Post
Great info, thanks. Did you reinforce your side covers in the rear lockers? My batteries are currently located in the rear locker.. suggest moving them to get a larger bag in there? What size bag did you get in your ski locker? Did you use timers at all or are they not worth the trouble. For some reason the links above are not working for me. Will be ordering a perfect pass this week, just need to double check my speedo gauge size.
Sorry about that, I fixed the links in my previous post.

We actually built new engine dividers for the rear and moved them in a little bit. It's not necessary but the factory multi piece dividers tend to pop out of the track when the ballast bags fill up.

My batteries are relocated to under the observer's seat and I would recommend the same if you are putting ballast bags in the rear lockers. Just need to extend your cables and mount the battery box.

I don't have timers, I just keep an eye on everything and the pumps have run dry protection on them just in case. I will use the timer on my phone to make sure the rear bags fill for the same amount of time (aka: same weight).

Oh and the ski locker sac is the W704 from Wake Makers:
https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-tube-sac.html