Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 07-25-2018, 03:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Was 2007 X1 - now looking
SUVís Ė Suggestions?

DISCLAIMERÖ..We do not tow with this vehicle (I have a truck) but figured it would get more views in the Tow Vehicle section.

Over the last 15/16 years, my wife has had 2 new Range Rover Sports and 2 new Audi Q7ís. If you look at the math, I buy her a new one every 3 to 4 years. As we get a bit older, I want to hang on to the next one for 5 years. My reasons for trading every 3/4 years is warranty and normal maintenance Ė I donít like surprises.

I am getting a bit irritated that all the normal wear parts on the Roverís and Audiís are expensive specialty/one-off items. Tires, brakes (pads), belts, etc. are crazy expensive for lower volume vehicles. I know you have to "pay to play" but I have been playing long enough.

My assumption is the high cost is primarily due to supply and lack of common parts used. For example, I assume the Lexus shares a lot of parts with some of their Toyota siblings thus leading to reduced parts and labor costs. Finding a non-dealer mechanic to work on Roverís or Audiís is not going to happen where I live yet there are plenty of non-dealer places around that will work on Lexus/Mercedes/BMW.

My other assumption is the Porsche Cayenne or Volvo XC90 would have the same expense issues due to lack of volume.

Given the above, what more ďmainstreamĒ SUVís (i.e. Lexus GX, Mercedes GLE/GLS, BMW X5) would you guys think we should consider (with regards to ongoing maintenance costs)? We will be purchasing new. My wife likes the size of the aforementioned SUVís so going full-size American (i.e. Denali Yukon or Navigator) is not an option.

Feel free to throw in the what you like or donít like about the above SUVís but again, this is primarily a thread on longer-term (around 5 years) cost of ownership.

Also, if you have any knowledge of major changes coming up in the near future (with regards to the autos I mentioned), that would be helpful.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X35 6.0 Ilmor
Love my Lincoln Navigator and has Ford parts that are inexpensive and everyone can work on it. If you want a smaller SUV - the Aviator (Explorer size) or Nautilus (Edge sized) are beautiful new designs.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Loved my X5 until its demise when someone pulled out in front of me and I T boned them. I walked away without a scratch. the new X5 should be out soon and is wayy nicer than the current gen that I had.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 07-25-2018, 04:53 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None Yet
Lexus all the way, my poor man's Lexus (Toyota) Has 156k on the odo and not one issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.
Old 07-25-2018, 04:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
My wife loves her Lexus RX. We had an 07' RX400h and really ran it problem free to around 170k before selling.

Because of that experience, we now have a 15' RX450h and equally impressed. We got one with around 50k on it rather than 30k (as my preferred choice)....But because of the reliability of our previous one, I was OK going with a few more miles. They just are pretty solid vehicles.

We do NOT service at Lexus. Cheaper to do it at Toyota and they are perfectly happy taking care of it.

Sure, I'd love a BMW or Mercedes but also quite nervous about repairs beyond the warranty period.

1994 205, LT1
Old 07-25-2018, 05:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2015 MasterCraft X-20
We have the Range Rover Sport (diesel) and my wife loves it. I love it too, except when we have to take it in for service - $$$$.

For me I love BMWs. Owned the 330i car, the X5 and currently have the X3 with the sporty engine. I love the way BMWís look and drive. The X5 and X3 handle more like a car than an SUV and the quality throughout is fantastic. I havenít had any maintenance issues in mine but Iím sure they can get a bit pricey too when out of warranty. I love that the first 4 years of ownership there are no additional costs except for fuel and wear items as all the services are included and the car is under warranty. For that reason I just lease them and flip into a new one. Never have to worry about unforeseen costs...but yes, I have much higher depreciation costs.

2015 MasterCraft X-20 (current)
2009 MasterCraft X-2 (sold)
Old 07-25-2018, 06:41 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 205 1998 5.7 Vortec
Lexus/Toyota is what you’re looking for. It appears you are set on the luxury brands. May want to consider Acura/Infiniti as well.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X35 6.0 Ilmor
Second the Lexus/Toyota and Acura/Honda for the same reasons as Lincoln/Ford, just whatever your preference.

Infinity/Nissan is seemingly less reliable, but my sister loves her Armada
Old 07-25-2018, 09:14 PM

Boat: XT22
I realize you mentioned it is not your tow vehicle, but what is your primary use? Commuter for just the wife? Soccer mom with 3 kids and 5 of their friends? What is your goal? I really don't think you can do better than a domestic SUV given the gripes you have expressed. Go get a Tahoe?? Do you want an SUV or a crossover? Why couldn't you hang onto the Q7 for 5-6 years instead of 3? We bought an Infinity QX60 for my wife in December. She had a '15 Tahoe previously. But, like you, we don't tow with her vehicle, so the Infinity fit right for us. (She's piled on almost 3500 miles in the past 8 months )

I have a 2016 Sierra with about 12K miles. I keep thinking about trading down, but the used prices are though the roof, so I'll just maintain status quo right now. (I have a work vehicle that I dive 5-6 days/ week)
Old 07-25-2018, 09:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '18 x23, '15 x10
I have a truck to tow with and a Honda Accord for commuting.

We just picked up a Platinum Ford Explorer for my wife. It serves as the family commuter vehicle. We arenít the type to drive luxury brand vehicles so that made the decision pretty easy. Give the explorer a chance. We extended the bumper to bumper warranty to 6 years 60k miles for $1,300. Canít beat the out the door price, the warranty and the creature comforts.