Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 03:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X25 Gen 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
I've done both the connect flight to Charlotte and the drive to Charlotte. Both are about the same to me, I'm just more concerned about the drive to Charlotte due to the idiots on the roads these days. I haven't traveled for work in over 5 years and I hate driving on the interstates. We haven't decided which route to take yet.
Fair. Just remember that every connection you add, adds risk to making your flight. So if weather's crappy in Charlotte and there's a ground hold on flights from Lynchburg, you could easily arrive after your flight departs to Denver and be stuck there until the next one. You won't have snow issues in Denver (knock on wood of course), but we are well equipped to handle it and rarely get delays unless we get a whopper of a storm, which doesn't happen as often as people think.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:07 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
I always stick to AA and never have issues. I’m not a huge fan of the “sit anywhere” southwest thing, and it’s a mad dash for the line to get it. I’ve flown it once for work and won’t do it again. I travel for work at least once a month, and American is my go to. As far as carry ons go, I always bring my backpack and my small suitcase on with me. My rule is, if I have to check bags I won’t go lol.
I've already achieved A-list with Southwest this year, so that is never an issue.
Old 02-19-2018, 04:14 PM
MC Addict

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmkkdx View Post
a lot of flights have "preferred seating" at an additional cost, typically have a few more inches of leg room. Part of the reason families can't set together is the flights are pushing over booked and only random seats are available. Another nice thing about Southwest, set a timer 24 hours and 5 minutes before your flight time and then check in exactly 24 hours before your flight (and your wife too) and you should get into the later portion of group A into group B. you and your wife board together and should be able to find seating together.
airlines today are running at about 89% load capacity .... which is good for them ... means you will probably not book the seat you want or have an empty seat next to you
Old 02-19-2018, 04:15 PM
MC Addict

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
use the seat guru link

https://www.seatguru.com
Old 02-19-2018, 04:19 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
I've already achieved A-list with Southwest this year, so that is never an issue.
Doesn’t sound like that’s the situation with the OP lol

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 02-19-2018, 04:36 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenmile View Post
Just remember that every connection you add, adds risk to making your flight.
And if you ever connect out of Logan Airport, you may never make your destination. I swear I think I made out of there on time ONCE.
Old 02-19-2018, 06:16 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Doesn’t sound like that’s the situation with the OP lol
Yeah, first time for us. Who knows, if we get grandkids we might be flying out to CO more often. I'm going now to see the dog that I got attached to before they decided to move across the country.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:00 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
I fly well over 40 times a year, and I've done so for 10 solid years. I avoid American Airlines as much as possible. Right outside of United they find more ways to screw you than any other Airline. Whenever you need legitimate customer service for something like points usage or leveraging a credit, it's a total nightmare. I have over 200,000 points with them, and the flights that I want to use are literally never available.

Southwest has a completely different approach. Yes, they put you on the plane by number and you do not have an assigned seat. However you can pay to get on the plane early so that you can all sit together. In my experience they are on time more than any other U.S. airline because they only fly one type of plane, and the 737 is rarely delayed due to bad weather versus some of the smaller planes that other airlines will run on commuter routes. All of my points are available on Southwest for any flight on any day (including holidays), and this is what I call customer service. Your first bag is free and they do not charge you for carry-ons.

American Airlines has lost my luggage six times and once it was gone for a full week on an international flight. United almost never takes off on time out of Nashville Tennessee, and I'm very commonly delayed when I attempt to fly them out of Washington DC. If you have your choice I would personally stick with Southwest or use Delta if needed in the US.

YMMV, but my best friend is a pilot for AA and in the last three years I've flown more total miles than he has... So potentially that counts for something when it comes to my knowledge of the airlines. Opinions are free though and everybody has one.

Good luck with your trip!

Last edited by FoggyNogginz; 02-19-2018 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:40 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Just got back from Denver.....now, literally.
Couple things. I never take the puddle jumper to a major airport. Factor in the time and the extra fee and you'll find you can probably drive it for cheaper in the same amount of time. Except of major parking fees involved or something.
Where flights are booked is based on where we're going and best rate. Depends if using credit card miles or Alaska air, or whatever. Better than half the time, the fares direct from the airline are comparable.
If using sites like Expedia, they phish your search and if you search, don't buy, and then go back to buy a short time later, rates generally jump. I will use 2 differnet devices or IPs if searching on the travel sites.
Don't worry about switching airlines on a trip. If that's what the best package deal is, go for it. They have it figured out. Lost luggage is just a crap shoot. It happens...sometimes. Don't think it matters how/ where/ what airlines you use.
Last thing, just like other quirks, I pretty much will not fly other than direct flights. Start adding in layovers and connecting flights and it complicates stuff, espeiclly in the winter if there's bad weather somewhere. Also, start adding up the time if you do that. Worst experience was a flight from Albq to Lincoln, NE. I remember it because after flying all over the damn country to get there, I could have drove it quicker.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 02-20-2018, 11:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
About 8 hours in a vehicle is all I can tolerate...I hate driving. When my son moved to CO they made the drive in 2 days and he said that the trip was brutal. They alternated drivers and it was actually about 14 hours a day. My wife is just terrified of crashing. I told her that she wouldn't feel a thing.
Good stuff she must love your humor!! I can drive over 12 hours at a crack.. start at 5 am and usually looking for a stopping spot around 9ish at night... not for everyone I know... the kids do great.. we stop for breakfast.. lunch at a rest area then dinner somewhere then last leg to a hotel...

Last edited by curver900; 02-20-2018 at 11:29 AM.