Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-19-2018, 10:20 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Searching
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalomjunkie View Post
This is exactly how they have stayed alive. The CEO of AA said "We will never lose money again" speaking about feeing passengers to death everywhere they could... Bag fees, exit row, 1st row, aisle seats, carry ons, snacks, meals, drinks, etc....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ain/715467001/
They fee the infrequent flyers to death, if you have elite status most those fees go away. But then they are getting their money off of you by the frequency of flying you are doing.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:23 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
AA is the only option that we have between Lyncburg (small airport) and Charlotte. It will be a small twin prop plane but I have done it before. We could drive to another airport but we are just 10 minutes away and I like the convenience. Expedia is only showing AA as an option for the whole trip if we book through them, so if I book directly through the airlines, I'm guessing that I will have other choices between Charlotte and Denver??? Do airlines transfer luggage between different carriers? Just asking.

Expedia has 4 departure times and all use the the same planes for each trip. 3 show no carry-on and one shows carry-on allowed. No carry-on is economy coach B, allowed is coach G?. I will take everyone's advice and look at booking directly with the airlines when I get home. AA appears to be the pits.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:28 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 35th Anniversary View Post
They fee the infrequent flyers to death, if you have elite status most those fees go away. But then they are getting their money off of you by the frequency of flying you are doing.
I've flown several times for work and enjoyed it, except for when my luggage and tools were lost for 12 hours.
We are total newbies when it comes to booking. We will be making the trip again in August for the wedding.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Searching
I would advise against mixing air carriers. Most the time the only way they will transfer baggage between each other is if they are code sharing the flight.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:58 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 35th Anniversary View Post
I would advise against mixing air carriers. Most the time the only way they will transfer baggage between each other is if they are code sharing the flight.
Good info to know. Glad I asked.
My wife was on line last night looking at ticket prices and talking with her sister on the phone at the same time. Her sister is an "expert" at everything. I told my wife that I know some guys who do this stuff every day.

CO gets most of their snow in April, so hopefully everything goes as planned. Our final destination is Fort Collins.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:09 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
If you're willing to drive to Raleigh Durham, or even Greensboro, I know Raleigh Durham has Southwest flights, and probably direct to Denver. It may even take you less time than going through an extra airport to just drive.

Greensboro has Delta service available. I just flew into that airport on a client visit up in the Bassett, VA area. Nice little serviceable airport they have.

Just a couple of other ideas.

edit - Just checked SW's website. Looks like they have a couple of non stop flights to Denver every day from Raleigh Durham. Free checked luggage, no charge for carry ons, everyone has the same kind of seat. I'd rather drive the couple hours to the airport than fly AA lol.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Just go through Google Flights (easy way to pick dates and then it just takes you to the website to do final booking and seat selection).

No carry on means you do not get to pick your seat as that is the lowest fare bracket as others have mentioned. See below link and put in your dates and select departure times.

https://www.google.com/flights/#sear...7;r=2018-03-11
Old 02-19-2018, 11:24 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Prostar 190
My 2 cents, but I'd drive the extra 2 hours to Raleigh Durham too. You're going to loose that 2 hours when you go from one leg to the other anyway, as I think minimum time between connecting flights is at least an hour. Also, when connecting, the odds of your baggage getting lost or not making it with you to the next plane goes up. With the direct flight, odds are pretty good your bag makes it.

I'm Canadian, so haven't flown southwest. But sounds like they are WAY better than American. You may loose the convenience of the 10 minute drive to the airport, but you'll gain a better flight experience, with less chance of "issues".

Have a great trip.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:57 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
both are great airlines ... i always look at the total elapsed time door to door ... as others said a two hour drive might actually be faster

Stick with one carrier ... will eliminate drama of baggage transfer ... it should happen OK but you never know

booking direct is the way to go

have fun!
Old 02-19-2018, 12:00 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 93 Ski Centurion Falcon
ok, I'll chime in with some pointers and clarifications too. I've been traveling for work for 22 years. I was a Platinum Medallion flyer on Delta for 7 consecutive years...before the whole airline industry went into the crapper.

Lot's of good info on this thread already. Like others have said, if it says no carry on, there could be a fee. On a small twin prop plane, your carry on luggage actually goes in the luggage hold. You usually drop it on a cart on the way to the plane and then retrieve it plane side upon return. Only small bags like purses and backpacks are allowed in the cabin.

I too am all Southwest all the time now, save for going places that Southwest doesn't fly...like Europe. We've even gone to Canada on SW by flying to boarder towns like Buffalo, Spokane and Seattle and then driving across the boarder in a rental car.

I would investigate flying to Denver from a Southwest city. Even if it's a 2 hr drive to the departure city the whole experience would be better. SW's bag policy is pretty good. You can bring two items into the cabin, a small piece of luggage and a personal item like a purse or backpack/computer bag. And/or you can check two bags per person with no extra fees.

Good luck! There's nothing glamorous about the US airline industry anymore. It's just an experience that one must tolerate to get where they want to go.