Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2018, 07:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Let a fiberglass guy fix it. You’ll never know it was like that.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:23 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgraham37128 View Post
Let a fiberglass guy fix it. You’ll never know it was like that.
+1. Should not be that expensive.

Further, if those cracks are down to the fiberglass you want it dried and sealed with gel so as to not cause further water infiltration and cracking.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205 5.7L
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I think I might try to fix myself over the winter as there are two other small areas I would do at the same time. Taking it to a fiberglass guy is kind of a pain as it's not moving until I take it out of the garage for good in the spring (its well tucked into a part of my garage that is not easily accessed).

I will check out US composites to see what they have to offer. Is there anywhere that provides the gelcoat premixed to the correct color based on OEM specs? That would be ideal but I'm guessing its either stupid expensive or isn't available.

Thanks again!!!
Old 11-14-2018, 08:50 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartnich View Post
Thanks for the input gentlemen. I think I might try to fix myself over the winter as there are two other small areas I would do at the same time. Taking it to a fiberglass guy is kind of a pain as it's not moving until I take it out of the garage for good in the spring (its well tucked into a part of my garage that is not easily accessed).

I will check out US composites to see what they have to offer. Is there anywhere that provides the gelcoat premixed to the correct color based on OEM specs? That would be ideal but I'm guessing its either stupid expensive or isn't available.

Thanks again!!!
https://spectrumcolor-com.3dcartstores.com/

Not sure how close they get but that is why I use two base colors to mix and get what I need. Then add hardener to that mix. I get the colors from here and use two kits. Just remember there is a relative short pot life with these kits so once the hardener is added, you're on the clock.

I don't care much for their products as a whole but many positive testimonies here of satisfaction and success. They seem to be the go-to source, of which I have used as well.

Old 11-14-2018, 09:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 Prostar 205 5.7L
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
https://spectrumcolor-com.3dcartstores.com/

Not sure how close they get but that is why I use two base colors to mix and get what I need. Then add hardener to that mix. I get the colors from here and use two kits. Just remember there is a relative short pot life with these kits so once the hardener is added, you're on the clock.

I don't care much for their products as a whole but many positive testimonies here of satisfaction and success. They seem to be the go-to source, of which I have used as well.

I think I might take your original suggestion and try to mix myself. They want $160 for a quart of premix that likely won’t match anyway because of fading....
Old 11-14-2018, 09:35 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
I think I might take your original suggestion and try to mix myself. They want $160 for a quart of premix that likely won’t match anyway because of fading....
Look for the small kits. Also look on iboats dot com and Amazon for the Spectra products.

Also as stated, a pro can do a great job. My guess and rough estimate is 5-600.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
If the budget allows, that would be my plan B...the pro.

Last edited by waterlogged882; 11-14-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 11:22 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 X2
I did a similar fix on my 91. It was white also. I used the little bottle of patch paste from Spectrum and it was fine. Couldn't tell afterwards.
Old 11-15-2018, 08:11 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2016 Mastercraft X23
Quote:

Thanks again!!!
Just my experience, this may not be yours but I had the same thoughts on my old boat. I bought it used (1 year old) and it had a few nicks on it, nothing big but there was like 10 things I wanted corrected for it to be 100%. It was blue,grey and white and all colors has at least one thing that needed correcting. I planned to do it myself again they were very small. Someone told me about a local fiberglass shop and I thought I carry it there and just see what he thinks. So I towed the boat to the fiberglass shop and pointed them out. He looked at me and said I don’t know $100.00...... I was like can I leave it? Lol... best $100.00 I ever spent. Over the four years I would get a nick in my platform and or etc... I would carry it back give him a $100.00 come back two days later no sign of a nick.....I wouldn’t even attempt to mess with it.

The moral to the story is you should at least tow it to a fiberglass shop and see what the cost is, you might find it’s much cheaper/easier to let someone else do it. If they tell you it’s going to be 1K be ready it’s not going to just be a small repair. You already know you’re at least going to have $160.00 in the repair if you do it yourself. Good luck.