Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 05-06-2015, 01:32 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 MasterCraft X-Star - 7.4 Illmor - Fully optioned
2013 X Star Gen 2 Setup and help?

Hello Everyone,

So I recently made a major upgrade to a barely used 2013 X star with pretty much every option you can order plus Gen 2 installed. I came from a 2011 Sanger 215 that I had set up pretty good for surf, but in reality its like going from a Ford Pinto to a Ferrari ! Ive been on the river with it about 5 times thus far and from everything I have tried it seems the best surf and wake you can get from this thing is to completely fill all the sacks and hard tanks and just use the Gen 2 to tip it over to whichever side you want to ride. I can ride goofy and regular so it makes no difference, but it seems to me that the Starboard side creates a better surf wake, which is crazy to me because I always thought port with the propeller spinning that way was the better side to surf on.

Anyways I haven't created any custom profiles yet, but I have tried the preset profiles and no one that I have been with has seemed that impressed when comparing it to when we have the boat fully filled.

Im a new owner so if anyone has any help with good custom profiles to set up or ways to make the wave longer/better/steeper Im all ears. Also, any tips for adding additional ballast bags on the seats or else where would be helpful as well.

Thanks and Im stoked to be a part of MC clan, this boat is ridiculous.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X-Star 2009 X-Star (SOLD) 2003 X2 (SOLD)
Only had mine out for 4 hours so not much info. There was only two of us so we had to fill all, leaving a little short for starboard to compensate for driver only. I'm dying to get out with a normal crew and some warmer water. Will update as more info is available.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:33 PM
MC Devotee

Didn't try it yet, but can't wait to try out the wakeboard wake too.
Old 05-06-2015, 08:37 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Pretty sure for gen2 you have to run full ballast? Are you just wanting to run partial ballast?

Give charlotte ski boats a call and see if Robby can help you out with set up. I know he has some great pics on Instagram from xstar gen2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-06-2015, 09:41 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by clrussell View Post
Pretty sure for gen2 you have to run full ballast? Are you just wanting to run partial ballast?

Give charlotte ski boats a call and see if Robby can help you out with set up. I know he has some great pics on Instagram from xstar gen2

The presets (left mellow, steep, etc) have some of the ballast not full. I know for sure they have port hard tank only half full. The star has six pumps on it, the bags don't overflow from the tanks, they each fill/empty with their own pump. Only 3 will run at a time though.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:44 PM
MC Devotee

Yamaharider, do you have any trouble with your front bags emptying all the way?
Old 05-06-2015, 09:48 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmcfarland View Post
The presets (left mellow, steep, etc) have some of the ballast not full. I know for sure they have port hard tank only half full. The star has six pumps on it, the bags don't overflow from the tanks, they each fill/empty with their own pump. Only 3 will run at a time though.

Hmmmm.. Cool to know

Old 05-07-2015, 03:24 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 MasterCraft X-Star - 7.4 Illmor - Fully optioned
Hey guys

I havent checked the front bags really when i have drained them I will take a look on Friday and report back.....I have my boat on my buddies floating boat lift that is rated at 6200 lbs so I know for sure that I need to be as empty as possible.

I had a issue yesterday that the back bags were overfilling/draining even though on the screen it said they were at 85%. Glad to know Im not crazy that only three pumps will run at a time.....makes sense that would take a lot of voltage to get them all going.

All the profiles including max wake have the center ballast tanks drained and the center sacks filled and all of the side/rear filled. I tried most of these yesterday and it seems like it is way smaller compared to when the boat is completely filled. we had only two people in the boat so maybe when we start getting more body weight things will change.

Also, I remembered when I demoed the boat last summer the people who I bought it from were running a 400 lb back in between the back seat when it was reversed so I am going to try that this coming weekend.

Here is a pic from yesterday from the biggest wave we were able to make
Old 05-07-2015, 07:04 PM
MC Devotee

One thing I noticed was you get a steeper/taller wave with the tab setting lower 75%. When you go to 100% the wave really flattened out.
On you back bags filling with 80%, you need to adjust your fill/empty times. It's under menu on the center screen on the dash. Don't remember the exact sequence.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:06 PM
MC Devotee

Only 2 of us in boat

Tags
7.4, ballast, gen2, surf, x star