Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 08-03-2018, 07:28 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2017 XT23
Make sure you read a/c. You should be seeing something. At least out of the set that’s going to your cabin speakers. Make sure you turn your volume on the head unit up as well. About 3/4 volume.

I’m sure you have probably done these steps like you said but I’m just listing them as a double check

Last edited by cbreck0318; 08-03-2018 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X15, 1997 Prostar LT1
Yes, set to AC. And I agree I should see something, but just no luck. Testing with the male ends should be a sure fire way, since you can make sure the positive end is so much easier to get to.i appreciate the suggestions, this thing sure has me scratching my head.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:39 AM
TT Enthusiast

Last night broke out the head unitís manual. I know, I know. But what I found under the Menu option, there is a selection for Non Fader volume. Thinking about it, I figured this has some control over the Non Fade Rca outputs at the back of the head unit, which I donít have them connected to anything and have rubber boots on them so they will not short if touched by anything. This morning I went to see if I could get voltage readings and thought to go ahead and check the Non Fade volume. It was at 0, so turned it up to 6, the max, and lo and behold, tower speakers work. I still donít know why this setting has anything to do with it, but now all works and the kids are happy that they will be able to hear music while skiing/boarding/surfing, so we are off to the water. I may try to figure it all out later. Thank you guys for the help, and if you have more input to help solve this, please post.

Side note: Iím assuming that one of my passengers was messing with the controls trying to find the fader so we could get sound out of cabin, and somehow messed with this one. Of course, the passengers were my kids and none of them are admitting to it.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:28 AM
TT Enthusiast

Well, can’t say the Non Fade volume was the solution. Sound does come from the tower speakers, but outside of the shop building, the speakers don’t project sound very well.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: pontoon
The 3 output RCAs are colored. What color (wire leads not the red and white ends) is the in-boat amp RCA connected to, what color is the tower amp connected to and what color is unused with the caps on?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:14 AM
TT Enthusiast

Grays go to the tower amp(m2150), blacks go to cabin(kicker 800.5), purples are capped.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:44 AM
MC Devotee

So you moved the black to the gray and the gray to the black and the low or no volume moved to the in-boat amp and tower amp played as expected. This proves the issue is the suspect RCA outputs.

So when you fade to the front, gray IIRC, does the in-boats go quite and no tower or does the in-boat volume stay constant?
Old 08-05-2018, 12:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Before I turned the Non Fade volume setting to 6: I moved the gray outputs to cabin, and black outputs to tower, and the head unit fade setting to center. The cabin speakers still had sound, but tower speakers didn’t. I never messed with the Non Fade outputs(purple). Through all testing they have remained booted.

After I turned the Non Fade volume to 6: Put everything back as was before issue, Gray to tower and black to cabin. Using the Fade knob on the front of head unit, the sound does as expected, moving from cabin to tower and tower to cabin. But the tower speakers just don’t project like they once did. When I first thought the Non Fade volume was the fix, I was in my shop and the tower speakers sound was hitting the back wall and I’m guessing made it sound louder than it really was.

I haven’t switched the outputs at this point. Have a baby taking up most of my morning time.

Hope I answered your question. Thank you for the help.
Old 08-05-2018, 02:21 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
I moved the gray outputs to cabin, and black outputs to tower, and the head unit fade setting to center. The cabin speakers still had sound, but tower speakers didn’t.
Now this points to the tower amp as the possible issue
Old 08-05-2018, 02:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

I agree, except when I turned the head unit Non Fade volume to 6, sound came out of the tower speakers. I donít know if this setting was changed a few weeks ago when the issue started, as I never checked it. Earmark installed the Kicker amp several years ago and tuned everything and the system sounded awesome. So I never thought about going in and checking all the head unit settings.