Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 12-22-2015, 02:56 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Who's started their own company?

At what point did you give up your day job? Were you starting off with 5 bucks in the bank, or did you find some funds somewhere, whether it be a bank or from family/friends/investor? I'd love to hear some stories of you self made guys. When you finally started feeling comfortable in the role, and just general stories and things you might do differently?

Slow day, thought this would be fun.
Old 12-22-2015, 03:06 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
440 has an awesome story. My dad started his own as well but it was really an overnight deal with consulting.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 12-22-2015, 05:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
Did it twice. I was part time self employed in college to keep me in tuition, skiing, beer and food. It went from nothing to 7 figures in less than a year. I quit school and was self employed for 15 years when I sold the companies. Loved every second of it. Yes, I finished school after I sold. Graduate Cum Laude!
Old 12-22-2015, 05:07 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I did mine out of necessity. I was branch manager for a wheel company that decided to downsize in 2007. While networking with anyone I ever spoke to, I stumbled across a vendor from a previous company that their tire broker in my area had suddenly passed away and was looking for a guy like me. As this company handled inventory and finance, it was an easy way in for me.

Phase Two happened during my search for a deal on wheels for the trailer for my '77. I encountered a relatively new company in the business of selling trailer accessories. After several emails and phone conversations, a discount program was developed and Now I had more stuff to sell. I developed a few other vendors along the way to provide more diversity in my offerings.

Phase Three began when I mentioned that I had just rebuilt my Holley 4160 to a friend. He said he needed his rebuilt, and things just sort of snowballed from there.

I had no start up funds but negotiated my way through the second two phases utilizing PayPal. I coupled a PayPal debit card to my account and can pay vendors as funds received are immediately available to the debit card.

Having your own business is very rewarding, but comes with it's own price too. There have been some pretty lean months as with any business starting up, but I am through most of that. There are many nights I am busy on the computer late into the night working with people on the West Coast. Also the uncertain monthly income can be a little distressing upon occasion. My biggest challenge has been to set some time aside for myself so that I am not working all my waking hours. I do miss spending my employers money disguised as an expense account.

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 12-22-2015, 05:37 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 190
Glad to see that perseverance and ingenuity are alive and well; though I think that it takes more of both now than it used to...

...I think this may turn into an interesting one to watch!
Old 12-22-2015, 06:54 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1995 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
Did it twice. I was part time self employed in college to keep me in tuition, skiing, beer and food. It went from nothing to 7 figures in less than a year. I quit school and was self employed for 15 years when I sold the companies. Loved every second of it. Yes, I finished school after I sold. Graduate Cum Laude!
Sounds interesting....what business did you have? And congrats on your academic achievement! Well done sir!
Old 12-22-2015, 07:08 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1995 Prostar 190
After 8 years of managing a Goodyear store, I realized having employees was something I'd like to try and do without so I got involved in route businesses.

1st was as a MAC TOOL distributor for 13 years. Like everything it had its pros and cons. Long hours and chasing customer for payments were the cons. Playing with different tools and equipment, having my own tool truck with good inventory and access to racing venues and drivers were the pros. Plus all the cool like-minded people I met over the years was great. Times started getting tough after 911 and business started going the wrong way.

So, 2nd route biz...a deli meat distributor with Dietz & Watson. Great company with great products. 12 years ago my route was only doing $ 500K in sales and now I'm at $ 1.7M.
4 day work week, no employees.

But I'm always looking for the next challenge. At 53 I'm not getting any younger.
Old 12-22-2015, 07:47 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
440 has an awesome story. My dad started his own as well but it was really an overnight deal with consulting.
I think I remember him saying something about buying an organic dog food factory before the organic boom began. What a goldmine now.

Some cool stories so far... Neil, what did you do in college that blew up so quickly?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
I think I remember him saying something about buying an organic dog food factory before the organic boom began. What a goldmine now.

Some cool stories so far... Neil, what did you do in college that blew up so quickly?
I was awarded the bid to wash UPS trucks in a small town north of SLC. I then won the bids in Reno, Carson City, then franchised them. Won bids in KC, Lenexa, Wichita, Topeka, Salina. Along with UPS fleets we had Fed-ex and many other large trucking companies. We washed with deionized water before people really understood water purification. Less chemicals, we brushed everything instead of relying on acid for agitation to clean. I had a blast building a company. The beginning was rough, super long hours, no free time, growing pains, I made a game of business to help me succeed.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:28 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 40th Anniversary X Star!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.anderson63 View Post
I was awarded the bid to wash UPS trucks in a small town north of SLC. I then won the bids in Reno, Carson City, then franchised them. Won bids in KC, Lenexa, Wichita, Topeka, Salina. Along with UPS fleets we had Fed-ex and many other large trucking companies. We washed with deionized water before people really understood water purification. Less chemicals, we brushed everything instead of relying on acid for agitation to clean. I had a blast building a company. The beginning was rough, super long hours, no free time, growing pains, I made a game of business to help me succeed.

Here I've known you all this time and I didn't know that..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk