Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 01-21-2018, 01:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar 190, 1993, Anniversary Limited.
1993 Grey Carpet Color

Just maybe, I'll replace the carpet this year. It's great but there is a minor "dull" area that just gets my MCOCD.

Seeing mostly Gun Metal Gray and Midnight Start Gray...I think it's more Gun Metal Gray? If anyone has replaced theirs and has a color suggestion, I'm open. Of course I'll take the back panel to my local guy and see what we can match because this will only be the deck area, so a good match will be critical.
1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17
Old 01-21-2018, 09:32 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
not sure ... when i had mine replaced two years ago then matched it but i have no idea what color they used
Old 01-21-2018, 02:48 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by bret View Post
Just maybe, I'll replace the carpet this year. It's great but there is a minor "dull" area that just gets my MCOCD.

Seeing mostly Gun Metal Gray and Midnight Start Gray...I think it's more Gun Metal Gray? If anyone has replaced theirs and has a color suggestion, I'm open. Of course I'll take the back panel to my local guy and see what we can match because this will only be the deck area, so a good match will be critical.
Not sure what you mean, "only the deck area" unless you're speaking of the open traffic areas within the boat.

That said, typically an installer will cut the carpet out of the traffic area and leave the rest under (what I call the deck) the deck and anywhere else that is sight unseen. Especially in the 93 since a good portion of the integrated deck sits on the carpet. So really matching the near perfect color is a moot point unless that is your preference as your dull sense has stated. Upon that, a perfect match will indeed be the remedy for your requirements.

What I do like is the darker gun metal type color in lieu of a lighter color gray however I prefer gray as color of choice so as to not use a color that saturates my eyes after 10 minutes of being in the boat. Each to their own. I think each manufacturer may have a different definition of their color. Most will send you a sample swath, but if you're taking the existing carpet to the installer for his decision, this thread is useless...

Make sure the installer (you?) puts the carpet in all going in the same pile direction. It's easy to get it going in different directions. Make sure the installer understands all of your expectations, this recommendation included.

I also use hot glue to sear all of the edges of the carpet installs I do. Makes for a nice deliverable with no threads and cloth hanging out or future thread ravels.

Marine grade carpet is a must.

Just sharing a little info and not insulting your intelligence of your project.

$0.02

Here are several boats I have used different names of gray (all gun metal or midnight named color) but I try to get more to the Dark Side than the lighter side. If you are matching like for like, I'd send an email to several manufacturers for a sample then go with that named color.

And while you have the gunnel pads and storage panels out, reach up in behind your passenger's seat and install a grab handle for your passenger. I had complaints about the slick seats (303 protectant) so I added a matching low profile grab handle for my passenger.

Attached Images

Last edited by waterlogged882; 01-21-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:19 PM
MC Devotee

NO insult taken, yes the "deck" area around the engine box, no sides or bow area. Again, it's just a little area by the observer seat and driver seat that I just cannot get as clean as the rest of the carpet. I've got both color samples coming, plus I'll check local. It's marine carpet, 20 and 24 oz samples.

I do think it's the darker grey as well, I prefer that as well.

Last edited by bret; 01-21-2018 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:07 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
NO insult taken, yes the "deck" area around the engine box, no sides or bow area. Again, it's just a little area by the observer seat and driver seat that I just cannot get as clean as the rest of the carpet. I've got both color samples coming, plus I'll check local. It's marine carpet, 20 and 24 oz samples.

I hear you....I had a spot like that behind the driver's seat of all places (low traffic) but I resolved that with Totally Awesome Cleaner (Dollar Store). A good scrub and let it dry, then X 2. Cleaned up nicely.

Once the base carpet is clean, I have seen a second carpet overlay (in pieces) that was cut with close fit, edges bound with a nice cloth binding material (you can glue it or sew it) laid in on top of the base. That takes all of the wear, looks OK, and is easy to take out and clean. I am working on this project for a 93 Prostar now. I saw it here years ago and finally got interested in making the overlay.

best luck on your carpet
Old 01-22-2018, 01:15 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1996 Prostar 190
Is 20 oz or 24oz heavy enough? I thought the real good stuff was 40 oz? Like $18 per foot last time I priced it?

Quote:

Old 01-22-2018, 08:21 PM
MC Devotee

I don't think those 91-94 boats got 40 oz carpet. Our party barge had 32 and it's definitely softer than the MC.

Found some 40 oz online, yes double the cost of 20-24oz and not near the color choice.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:47 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
I don't think those 91-94 boats got 40 oz carpet. Our party barge had 32 and it's definitely softer than the MC.

Found some 40 oz online, yes double the cost of 20-24oz and not near the color choice.
I am big on the 20 oz weight because it is easy to find in short pile and gray and lays in nicely. Twenty-four a little harder to find a selection.

For those following; here is where I typically begin. Best prices around. They just have a distributor to drop-ship it right to your door. Often they offer shipping included with price. You can find the glue less expensive at a local box store...One gallon is plenty for a 19 Skier or a Prostar 190.

Attached Images

Last edited by waterlogged882; 01-22-2018 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:44 PM
MC Devotee

The local guy, Enhanced Floor Care, saved the day. He treated the affected areas and lightly sprayed cleaner on the rest of the boat, let it soak, used the really hot water/some steam and shampooed all the carpet. Wow! Carpet looks brand new! Even the embroidered MasterCraft red looks brighter.

Total cost, $60.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:02 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Call these guys. They probably know the answer to this question.

https://www.corinthian-marine-carpet.com/

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

FAQ

Be kind. Have fun.