Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-20-2018, 11:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 prostar 190
This is not the thread I was thinking of but it seems to cover the same info... Also, am I the only one that finds it frustrating to read these old threads and not have waterlogged's comments included... there seems to be such a wealth of knowledge. it feels like a real loss not to have them there.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=52945
Old 08-21-2018, 06:16 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '87 PS 190
Thanks jayR! I had found a different thread, but it was very similar. Seems to be a common issue on the older boats. Anyway, I basically did the same thing everyone else did, popped off the old log, re-epoxied it and glassed it over. Took about a whole day of work, the longest part was waiting for the epoxy to set. Dropped her in the lake for about an hour the next day and she's dry as a bone!
Old 08-30-2018, 07:10 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 351 winsdor
Quote:
Originally Posted by caffn8r View Post
Oh Boy!?! What have I done now?? Sooooo, I bought this boat... My 12 year old son and I have been skiing for a few years, always behind someone else's boat or for a show ski team. Well, he has progressed to the point that he just needs more water time than we can scrounge from other people, soooo....I bought this boat. LOL. I'm pretty sure in my neck of the woods that this is the equivalent of saying, "Hey y'all, watch this"! Who knows how this is gonna end up!? Anyway, it's an '87 PS190 with the powerslot option. Overall it was in pretty good shape when I bought it, or so I thought, so I took a chance on it. I have extensive experience in the automotive world, so I figured that a boat couldn't be too hard, right? It had apparently sat on a lift on a private lake for all of it's life, but had sat for the last few years without being run. There was water trapped in the bilge at some point and it caused some pretty severe corrosion issues to the exterior of everything aft of the engine oil pan. I bought her from an auction, so I don't know any of it's history and I'm going on the assumption that everything is broken. So far, as I take it apart, everything that has not been broken has been a nice little surprise! I just figured it was better to think the worst and be pleased when it's not than to think it worked and be bummed when it doesn't.

Sooo...about the boat. So far, all I've done is disassemble it and I rebuilt the trans. I think the easiest way to start is to list the good things I know and then list the bad things I know, so here goes...

Good:

Engine turns free.

The trans is rebuilt.

The interior is in really nice shape.

All the original equipment is there, except the driver's seat has been replaced.

Not so good:

Fuel system, at least the carb.

All hoses

All ducts

Heavy, heavy oxidation on the hull

Steering cable is shot

Did not have a trailer, so I had to find a temporary one.

Electrical and gauges are untested.

Things I've done so far:

Rebuilt the trans.

Blasted and painted all the parts and brackets from the engine back.

Purchased new Pertronix marine distributor.

New Atco Marine starter.

New impeller.

New raw water hoses.

Cleaned fuel tank (that was NASTY)

Replaced the ring gear on the flywheel.

New rear main seal on the engine.

I will try to post pictures of things as I do them. I'm more of a worker than a photographer. Any help, questions, suggestions, or commiseration is appreciated! I've already learned so much from this forum that it's unbelievable. You guys are awesome!

I have a 89 PS190 and it looks almost identical to yours. Thanks for the photos! My back seat was redone at some point and itís solid white, I was wonder what the original looked like. Iím following this tread because because I will be working on mine all winter. My son is 10 and recently started wakeboarding and he loves it. My first visit to this forum I found a an inexpensive way to make a wakeboard rack without buying a tower. It worked out well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2018, 11:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Mastercraft Platinum Prostar 190
Do you run into trouble with the rope hitting those board racks while slalom skiing or tubing (if you do that sort of thing, of course)
Old 09-16-2018, 08:50 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '87 PS 190
Update! Well, the boat has been in running order for a few weeks now. I've had a few problems, but so far nothing too major. My new Arco starter suddenly quit working but I called them and they handled it with no problems. Installed the new one they sent me and so far, it has worked great. My shaft log repair is holding up very well, no worries there. I have discovered that my transmission is leaking out it's vital fluids. This is a bit of a major problem, but I think the fix is somewhat easy. When I rebuilt it, I noticed that there was some very, very slight pitting on the input shaft. i lightly polished it with some emory cloth, but apparently it was deep enough that the seal won't seat. So, for now, I intend to just keep an eye on the level of the fluid and when it's convenient I will pull the trans out and put a jiffy sleeve on it. That seems to be the only problems I've had. The control cables are a bit stiff, but I plan to replace them soon, again, no biggie. My kid loves skiing behind the boat and his HUGE smile is worth every skint knuckle and dollar that I've spent. My next step is to finish buffing out the gelcoat and when I'm done I will post pics.