Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 09-06-2017, 12:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2016 mastercraft xstar
ZFT7 tower leaking down

I have the ZFT7 power tower on my boat and the tower seems to not stay in the locked up position. After a few minutes if you hit the up button for the tower it will go up a couple of inches. So for some reason it is bleeding down. Any thoughts? Loose hydraulic fittings?
Old 09-06-2017, 03:00 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '13 X2 Pro Gen2, '98 30th Anniv PS190- SOLD-
Sorry not much help but just guessing a check valve or spool valve may not be holding properly. Best best to contact your dealer as your boat should still be under full warranty.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:59 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2011 X25
Most likely it's a hydraulic leak or possibly air in the system. This is something I would let the dealer handle and take note of the issue in case it happens again outside of warranty.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:10 PM
Black'nGreen

I have seen the same issue, small leak somewhere under the port side tower base. Bleed the air out and top off the reservoir to the max fill line. Check the reservoir prior to leaving the house each time to ensure it is full. After this procedure I only find a small residual amount of fluid accumulate near the base and the tower stays locked in the up position all day long. I am only pulling from the pylon through the end of the season, then the dealer will address the leak issue. Don't want to miss any water time.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: '15 X10 6.0L, '15 X30 6.2L
Is there no redundant mechanical lock on the power towers, ie: only hydraulics holding it up?
Old 09-09-2017, 11:37 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2016 mastercraft xstar
Yes I found a few lines that were loose as well. And I don't think there is. Just hydraulics holding. I would have thought they would have used a pin to lock when it's up as well. But nope. Just hydraulics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-01-2017, 01:05 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 X25
Mine's doing the same. I've got the ZFT5. Paid a ****load for a boat full of problems! I can hear the hyd pump motor running backward as it leaks down. I suspect that In the pump motor, there is a check valve so I'll look there first. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-12-2018, 03:07 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2017 XT21 6000GDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcrobb View Post
Mine's doing the same. I've got the ZFT5. Paid a ****load for a boat full of problems! I can hear the hyd pump motor running backward as it leaks down. I suspect that In the pump motor, there is a check valve so I'll look there first. I'll keep you posted.
Any update to this thread?
Old 04-12-2018, 04:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2003 X-Series MCX
Sounds like a stuck open check valve.

Something like this:

https://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands...9-7933-4-5.axd
Old 05-21-2018, 02:18 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2013 X25
Problem solved!

So I finally got the chance to dig into this issue. Pulled the boat out this year and problem is still there. I remover the hydraulic unit and disassembled the pump and sure enough, one of the o rings had a little chunk sliced off it and it got lodged between the check valve and seat. Now I just have to replace the o-rings and we should be good to go. Its a simple design and is easy to take apart should you have the same issue.