Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-23-2018, 08:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2018 XStar that's trying to be a 40th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lashburn1 View Post
ohhhhhh Dem Flies!!! Dammit!! I was gonna move there until I saw them.

Haha. Luckily, they only last a couple weeks, and then they are gone for the year. I just ignore them. They don't bite.

Mosquito's aren't bad on my lake either, which is lucky, because they can get pretty thick on a few of the lakes in VT.

Overall, the only bug problem we have, is the mayflies, and those are just a 2 week mild annoyance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albornj View Post
You have all the basics of a theme park covered, you have wakeboarding, surfing, skiing, train track rides, and you can add rides in your semi truck. I am sure you have some heavy equipment laying around that you can add into it as well. Best deals are full season passes. If only you could figure how to get the track to do an upside down loop on its way into the garage
Trying to imagine the insurance rates on a boat launch ride with a loop in it......

All- Its not a huge upgrade, or anything crazy. Some 2018 XStar owners will be interested though. Just finishing up a couple details and will post some info about it later today.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:12 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
That video is the coolest thing I've ever seen. Period.
Old 05-23-2018, 12:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X Star 6000 GDI
Old 05-23-2018, 02:36 PM
MC Devotee

Ok, so here is what I did..... I added my own "pro ballast" option. I added 2 more factory gen2 bags under the coffin seats, to increase the ballast to about 5000lbs total. I have heard the pro boats are like this, but have 0 actual evidence to support it. I can say that MC makes it very easy to do this upgrade properly.

The best part, is that the fill and empty times remain virtually unchanged. With the stock setup, the hard tank fills from both pumps, but when it is full, half of the water is filling the gen 2 bag, and half of it is just overrunning out of the front hard tank vent. With my setup, that overrun is simply filling another bag. If you have run the new XStar much, you know exactly what I am talking about. Nonetheless, I added 10 seconds to the fill and empty times on my rear pumps, and it all works perfect.

Once you look into this in your own boat, it will probably make easy sense.

You will need-
- 2018 XStar gen2 bags
- 2X 1 1/2" NPT male to 1 1/2" hose barb 90 degree fittings. MC part number 301062
- 10' of 1 1/2" ballast hose
- 2X 1 1/2" spring check valves with extremely low "crack pressure". I used Raritan part number 503629CHV112.
- 4 flowrite quick connect 90s
- several hose clamps for 1 1/2" hose
- a bit of patience for the stbd stock vent hose.

1- Open up your coffin seats and locate the spare port towards the rear. Remove the port plug.
2- Install the new 90 degree fittings in place of the plug.
3- Port side- disconnect hard tank vent hose and trim to an appropriate length for good venting of the bag. Install quick connect.
4- use a short length of hose from the port hard tank vent to the new check valve, and tie to the new bag vent. MAKE SURE the check valve arrow is pointing towards the hard tank.
5- stbd side. It is an extreme pain to unhook this stock hard tank vent, so I left it in place. I disconnected the hose from the through hull near the helm (accessed from behind stbd bow seat and access panel) and I installed the check valve there. Once again, make sure the arrow is pointing back towards the tank.
6- I then ran a new hose for the bag vent, and connected it back to the through hull, and trimmed to length at the bag end, and then installed the quick connect.
7- if you have a heater, you have to use something as a spacer between your hot tubes and seat base. If you don't, I'm guessing the bag can force them up hard enough to break them. I used some solid plastic and an epoxy adhesive to support them.

I'm not sure if you absolutely have to have the check valves. However, if you don't, and the bags suck flat (not allowing air through and back into the hard tank as you empty), it is possible you could damage the hard tank over time. This wouldn't typically happen on this type of setup, but I wasn't about to take the risk. Having the check valve allows the hard tank to draw it's own air after the bags are empty, and prevents any stress on it. Also, don't just use any old "spring check valve". If they have a high "crack pressure" (the pressure that they open at), they won't help the system. A flapper type probably wouldn't work either, because they are installed upside down to what a flapper would typically be installed.

Also, FYI- the stock bypass hoses that you get with your boat will work perfect on these. If you want your storage back, and to remove the bags, it takes less than 30 seconds and you are all set. You don't even have to adjust timers.....

I'm not covering everything, so feel free to ask questions.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2018, 02:54 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 18 XSTAR
Awesome as always... Definitely going to look into this when I get my boat. Before/after comparison on the wake/wave? Do you think some additional bow weight is needed now?
Old 05-23-2018, 05:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X23 SS 6.2L
I would imagine this could be done to the X23 and many other MC that have the GEN 2 set up.

I may look into this for my X23. As always, nicely done.

Have you seen any improvement in the wake?
Old 05-23-2018, 06:03 PM
MC Devotee

Wave is definitely bigger by a good margin. I have not tried the wake yet but I didn’t need that any bigger to begin with.

No bow weight needed. Attitude of the boat stayed the same. I changed literally nothing with other weight, speeds, or tab settings. Because the weight is added right in the middle, it just balances out.

The X23 does have a similar tank arrangement, but I’m not sure it has the extra ports in the tank. I’m sure something similar could be done, but I’m not sure it could be done exactly the same.

I wish I could have taken photos and vid, but the crew is small this time of year, and I’m either driving or riding. That changes soon though.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:47 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2018 XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFourty View Post
Wave is definitely bigger by a good margin. I have not tried the wake yet but I didnít need that any bigger to begin with.

No bow weight needed. Attitude of the boat stayed the same. I changed literally nothing with other weight, speeds, or tab settings. Because the weight is added right in the middle, it just balances out.

The X23 does have a similar tank arrangement, but Iím not sure it has the extra ports in the tank. Iím sure something similar could be done, but Iím not sure it could be done exactly the same.

I wish I could have taken photos and vid, but the crew is small this time of year, and Iím either driving or riding. That changes soon though.

Are the 2018 xStar Gen2 bags you added from your MC dealer or are they from barefoot international/flyhigh bags or elsewhere? Quite sure Barefoot used to make them for MC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2018, 02:59 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by chieb View Post
Are the 2018 xStar Gen2 bags you added from your MC dealer or are they from barefoot international/flyhigh bags or elsewhere? Quite sure Barefoot used to make them for MC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Had to get them from dealer. They are made by Ronix, and they are currently the only ones available with 1.5Ē fittings. Fly high is working on it, but nothing available yet.