Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 10-17-2017, 09:20 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 X45
Indmar LSA Winterization

I spent Sunday winterizing my new to me this year 2011 X45. It has the 6.2 Supercharged LSA. Im pretty comfortable with the method I used (brought up to temp, drained everything blew out heater, sucked 6 gallons of StaBil brand RV/Marine brand antifreeze, and then drained everything again). I maybe have been overthinking everything but with the very expensive aluminum engine, I want to be careful. I can't afford a new one. There seems to be contradictory info about weather RV antifreeze hurts aluminum. The other thing and maybe more important is the freeze protection. The bottles of the StaBil stuff says -75. I understand that is burst protection, but I just put some on my refractometer just to check. It came out 15 degrees. Not -15 but 15. The instrument is good and now I am unsure what to do. Maybe get some Sierra coolant or run some ethylene glycol through it. I just not comfortable now. What do you guys think.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:21 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2011 X45
Has anyone ever checked the Sierra coolant with a refractometer?
Old 10-17-2017, 09:48 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, NXT20, 2016, Ilmor 5.7
I have tested another brand with my refractometer and it tests the same 15 degrees. Below 15 it will turn to a slush but will not freeze solid until -50 if its the pink stuff. The slush state does not expand so it will not hurt anything it's protecting.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:22 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdog View Post
I spent Sunday winterizing my new to me this year 2011 X45. It has the 6.2 Supercharged LSA. Im pretty comfortable with the method I used (brought up to temp, drained everything blew out heater, sucked 6 gallons of StaBil brand RV/Marine brand antifreeze, and then drained everything again). I maybe have been overthinking everything but with the very expensive aluminum engine, I want to be careful. I can't afford a new one. There seems to be contradictory info about weather RV antifreeze hurts aluminum. The other thing and maybe more important is the freeze protection. The bottles of the StaBil stuff says -75. I understand that is burst protection, but I just put some on my refractometer just to check. It came out 15 degrees. Not -15 but 15. The instrument is good and now I am unsure what to do. Maybe get some Sierra coolant or run some ethylene glycol through it. I just not comfortable now. What do you guys think.
You are just fine - Your method is solid - exactly what I have done for the last 10 years