Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2018, 04:22 PM
[email protected] brownrylie@yahoo.com is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Boat: Mastercraft X2 06 Indmar 5.7
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3
Unhappy Electrical Problems with 06 X2

HELP!!!

Having dash problems, no gauges work AT ALL PERIOD. Okay, so we replaced the starter. Because the starter took a crap. Okay so now here we are, new starter right?! WELL now the dang thing won't start nothing. Gauges don't even come on, we used the voltage meter to check the wiring under the dash (like under all the plastic, the wires that go to the ignition to the gauges ect.) well, everything has power from what the meter showed BUT the ignition has nothing at all. WE determined the yellow wire was the culprit but now we can't even find the MDC box. We're stuck like chuck, and need all the help/suggestions we can get. We've exhausted all options we thought would fix it, now we desperately need input from other boat owners. It's our first boat, and sadly, we are stumped.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2018, 04:41 PM
waterlogged882 waterlogged882 is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: 93 190
Location: lake
Posts: 12,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
HELP!!!

Having dash problems, no gauges work AT ALL PERIOD. Okay, so we replaced the starter. Because the starter took a crap. Okay so now here we are, new starter right?! WELL now the dang thing won't start nothing. Gauges don't even come on, we used the voltage meter to check the wiring under the dash (like under all the plastic, the wires that go to the ignition to the gauges ect.) well, everything has power from what the meter showed BUT the ignition has nothing at all. WE determined the yellow wire was the culprit but now we can't even find the MDC box. We're stuck like chuck, and need all the help/suggestions we can get. We've exhausted all options we thought would fix it, now we desperately need input from other boat owners. It's our first boat, and sadly, we are stumped.
Check the neutral safety switch lanyard is engaged (failed closed) and also that the gear shift is in neutral. Also check manually on the other end where the shifter cable attaches to the transmission. Manually push that lever to the neutral position in the event that the cable did not seat it into the neutral position.

The safety switch itself (on the transmission) can also be bad. Jump the two wires together to test.

Not much information to go on but when I hear "Nothing" typically that is where I start.

Bad or dirty battery ground (and hot) connections. Inspect and clean on each end. Tighten as needed.

$0.02

.
__________________
John 14:6

Last edited by waterlogged882; 07-22-2018 at 09:04 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-22-2018, 04:59 PM
[email protected] brownrylie@yahoo.com is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Boat: Mastercraft X2 06 Indmar 5.7
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterlogged882 View Post
Check the neutral safety switch lanyard is engaged (failed closed) and also that the gear shift is in neutral. Also check manually on the other end where the shifter cable attaches to the transmission. Manually push that lever to the neutral position in the event that the cable did not seat it into the neutral position.

The safety switch itself (on the transmission) can also be bad. Jump the two wires together to test.

Not much information to go on but when I here "Nothing" typically that is where I start.

Bad or dirty battery ground (and hot) connections. Inspect and clean on each end. Tighten as needed.

$0.02

.

We checked that already, but if its faulty would that cause all the gauges to not work? Normally the perfect pass would turn on, & it would beeped. But now there no power to the dash at all. I'll run it by my boyfriend & see what he find out once he messes with it again. We just purchased the boat, & the second day of having it the starter to a crap & we were stranded on the lake for 4 hours. So hopefully it's just a simple wire that's fried. Although the engine breaker is kinda stuck it won't pop at all. That may also be the issue.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-22-2018, 05:09 PM
SkiDog's Avatar
SkiDog SkiDog is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Boat: 07 X2, again!
Location: South of North
Posts: 7,343
Could have a loose wire behind the left or right switches panel. Does the blower come on? I lost all my gauges, lights, bilge pumps, and blower for a while. I traced it to a loose wire behind the left side switches panel.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-22-2018, 05:13 PM
[email protected] brownrylie@yahoo.com is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Boat: Mastercraft X2 06 Indmar 5.7
Location: Midwest
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDog View Post
Could have a loose wire behind the left or right switches panel. Does the blower come on? I lost all my gauges, lights, bilge pumps, and blower for a while. I traced it to a loose wire behind the left side switches panel.


Yes the blower comes on, all of the switches for the lights, blower, bilge, ect. Work. But our gauges don't. I forgot to mention, but we also lost power to the audio deck as well.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-22-2018, 08:34 PM
Footin's Avatar
Footin Footin is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Boat: 2007 Maristar 200VRS X2
Location: Columbus,OH/Monticello,KY
Posts: 5,470
I assume you disconnected the battery when you installed the starter, I would verify that both positive cables were put back on.
__________________
OH-IO!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2018, 07:02 AM
bturner2's Avatar
bturner2 bturner2 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,840
Look for a tripped breaker mounted on the engine, there may also be another by the battery.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2018, 10:05 AM
rgardjr1's Avatar
rgardjr1 rgardjr1 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Location: Liberty Lake, WA
Posts: 1,338
Iíve had the same problem with the gauges not working when my batteries had been discharged too far. When this happened my Perfect Pass gauge with a digital display would still work while all the others would be dead. I believe I would also see a BAD ECM displayed in the Speedometer display. After I topped off the batteries everything returned to normal. I eventually installed an onboard charger that I use regularly and havenít seen this problem since.
__________________
2006 Maristar 200 SS
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2018, 10:12 AM
bturner2's Avatar
bturner2 bturner2 is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Location: Brighton, MI
Posts: 3,840
dsiggi has an onboard charger for sale for I think $65 plus shipping.....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2018, 11:05 PM
Mav23 Mav23 is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Boat: 2004 X2
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1
Following just had this happen to me today, had to be pulled back to dock. No power to gauges, checked kill switch and was in neutral. Blower, ballast, lights worked. Ran great, shut engine down to load up surfer, then nothing. 2004 X2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 PM.


2018