Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-19-2018, 07:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 MasterCraft X2
I've had my Arlo Pro system for months and have had zero issues with the app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
And they have had some issues with the app, so make sure to update the firmware.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft X9
I also have Arlo Pro. More than a year and no issues. Iím happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Previous boat: '83 19' Skier (S&S)
Current boat: 02 X-9
Next boat: ?
Old 06-19-2018, 09:05 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=52261

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 06-19-2018, 09:07 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post
I've had my Arlo Pro system for months and have had zero issues with the app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcjeff View Post
I also have Arlo Pro. More than a year and no issues. Iím happy with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure Jim is referring to security issues with it. Not that you have had issues with it but the security in older firmware versions have security holes in it. It's something you may never notice.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 06-19-2018, 09:45 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2017 XT23
I have a bunch of Wyze cams at my wifes office and house. It will record for 7 days with 64gb micro sd cards in them (says you can only use 32gb but if you reformat a 64gb it works fine.) You can check via app when alerted of sound or movement. Wyze saves a 15 second clip of each alert to the cloud for free on a rolling 14 days.

They static cams are $20 bucks and they have a pan one's now for $30.

https://www.wyzecam.com/

Also Ring's home security system starts shipping next month $199 starter kit + $100 year for monitoring. If you have ring cams you get unlimited video storage as part of plan.

https://shop.ring.com/pages/security-system

Last edited by JBrew; 06-19-2018 at 09:47 PM. Reason: added ring info
Old 06-20-2018, 12:07 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I'm pretty sure Jim is referring to security issues with it. Not that you have had issues with it but the security in older firmware versions have security holes in it. It's something you may never notice.
No, they had some issues with the image freezing, losing connection with the hub and some others. A friend was having problems, so I googled ĎArlo problemsí- the first link was for the freezing video.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
A few points to consider, keep expectations in check: Don't believe everything you see on TV.

I'd take a nice 1080p 2MP camera over a cheap 4K camera every day and twice on sunday. Spec sheets are more marketing than reality. Most companies stretch the truth and you get what you pay for when it comes to camera image quality. There's a reason that a professional grade 1080p security camera costs twice that of a cheapo 4K.

License plates are extremely hard to get on a fixed lens general view camera. Pretty much need good lighting conditions. i.e daylight And even then you pretty much need to put a camera in focused into that specific field of view. Not saying it's impossible just if you "need" to read plates and not just get lucky, you need a camera just for that purpose trained on a specific area of capture, and one that handles the lighting challenges. Outside of daylight conditions you won't find that in a consumer grade camera.

Don't forget bandwidth usage if you go with a cloud solution.

Any of the high quality solutions are going to record locally on some type of storage device/media and require running some wire.

One decent camera taps your budget before you install it or are able to record it.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:41 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: X46 that's not going away for any new Tanker
Despite the fact that cameras are all the hype in security (marketing), just look at pictures that are released publicly... around here thieves have pretty much adjusted to cameras, meaning they park out of sight, wear dark hoodies and hats, so the only thing cameras are useful for is the actual alarm event, you still have to do the dirty work yourself.

It's always 5pm somewhere, time for a beer!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:00 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbeck View Post
We have the canary camera system at the lake, they are only 1080p but they do have a siren you can activate along with speaker system, and air quality and temp monitoring. They work well for a weekend place but maybe not as sharp as what you're looking for. They are super easy to use though but there is a $100/year fee for storage I believe. Good side of them is that they are fairly inexpensive, I think our 2 camera setup was a little over $200.
"Only 1080p"? 1080 wasn't available for analog cameras at a low price until only a couple of years ago and even then, that's not the only important factor when viewing the recording- if the frame rate is too low, you're going to see some pretty bad video and the movement will be very jerky. Someone moving quickly could cross the whole frame in 7 steps, rather than continuous motion and if a DVR/NVR are used, the resolution and frame rate work against the hard drive's capacity.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:06 AM
MC Master Poster

How many people who use wireless IP cameras and cloud storage use a decent UPS for their network? The answer is, not enough. The network goes down because of a power cut- no reporting to the cloud. Dig up a cable or a tree drops a branch on the line- no reporting to the cloud.

If the camera has internal storage, it should be used but let's look at this for what it is- a cheap solution for a problem that could very well have life-altering consequences. How many videos have been on TV, asking for help in identifying a criminal that looks like it could be Bigfoot or a UFO, but the video is so bad there's no way to tell? Most people don't know how bad their stored video is until they need it and then, it's too late. Most people also don't think about using enough cameras to provide coverage without missing any of the perimeter of the building and that's important- if there's a way to approach without being seen, it's often easy enough to find it.

License plate reading cameras need to deal with extremes of lighting contrast and cheap ones fail in a big way. They also don't work well if the plate has a dark cover on it. If it's not at least 4Mp, don't count on being able to zoom in and read the plate.