Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 05-25-2018, 10:16 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Hope to fill this in with a boat soon...
Hot stall in 1994 PS205

Took the old girl for a couple of spins around the lake this afternoon. Ran it hard for about 5 minutes and shut it off at a friends cottage. Came back after an hour or so and it started ok for about 20 sec and then just quit. I got it started back up after a tense 5-10 minutes. With the cowl up, the fuel injectors were hissing like mad. Sounded terrible. Then it quieted down again for a minute and stalled again. I got it restarted and gave it a bit of throttle and it ran just fine after that. (Me getting up on one ski? óTHATS A DIFFERNT STORY). Ran perfect for 10 failed attempts.
So we went back and docked it again this time with the cowl UP. Started and ran just fine after we left.
So, Iíve put new plugs in and new distributor (I have a new coil, just havenít installed it yet)
Iím leaning toward a heat issue. I had a 160 stat in it last year and switched to a 143 to try and tame this problem but the 143 doesnít seem to have made much of a difference. It feels fuel related (especially with the hissing I heard from the injectors, but Iím looking for some guidance.
Thanks in advance!!!!!!
-Aaron
Old 05-25-2018, 10:58 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
LT1 or base engine?
Old 05-25-2018, 11:23 PM
TT Newbie

Sorry, base engine
Old 05-26-2018, 12:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Prostar 190, 1993, Anniversary Limited.
You made sure you got the distributor indexed absolutely correct? Was this a problem before the distributor install? Impeller, trans cooler clear, engine water pump, temp sensor...

The TBI unit on that 94, reference to Chevy, is from the 455, not the 350 chevy TBI. There's a good thread on here about the TBI, search when you have time.
1993 25th Anniversary Limited ProStar 190, #17
Old 05-26-2018, 07:49 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Needing throttle on hot restart is a symptom of the engine coolant temp sensor. A 17 dollar part at NAPA.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:41 AM
TT Newbie

Definitely got the distributor on correctly, I’ll look into the coolant temp sensor. It ohmed out correctly last fall but I’ve seen sensors get flaky before. I’ll look into the tbi on here.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:01 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Check coolant temp sensor... resistance values in librabry dropbox. When ubsay injectors hissing.. are you getting a nice cone of fuel?

What does temp guage read?

If u never replaced coolant sensor .. 2 wire.. its time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2018, 11:13 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossi_the_heeler View Post
Took the old girl for a couple of spins around the lake this afternoon. Ran it hard for about 5 minutes and shut it off at a friends cottage. Came back after an hour or so and it started ok for about 20 sec and then just quit. I got it started back up after a tense 5-10 minutes. With the cowl up, the fuel injectors were hissing like mad. Sounded terrible. Then it quieted down again for a minute and stalled again. I got it restarted and gave it a bit of throttle and it ran just fine after that. (Me getting up on one ski? óTHATS A DIFFERNT STORY). Ran perfect for 10 failed attempts.
So we went back and docked it again this time with the cowl UP. Started and ran just fine after we left.
So, Iíve put new plugs in and new distributor (I have a new coil, just havenít installed it yet)
Iím leaning toward a heat issue. I had a 160 stat in it last year and switched to a 143 to try and tame this problem but the 143 doesnít seem to have made much of a difference. It feels fuel related (especially with the hissing I heard from the injectors, but Iím looking for some guidance.
Thanks in advance!!!!!!
-Aaron
You replaced the distributor? Why?

You know you can see the codes by inserting a paper clip into terminals A and B of the DLC, right? Watch the check engine light for the flash sequences. Insert the paper clip, turn the key to ON and watch- it will flash once, pause then flash twice (this is how it shows the number 12 and it does this before AND after showing the codes)- it will do this three times before getting to the codes. If it only flashes 12, you have no stored codes and an ECT will definitely be a stored code.

This engine has a diagnostic system in place- this is no time to feel anything about it. Measure and test before replacing ANYTHING.

Use the 160 degree thermostat- that's what it was designed to run with and you'll just be wasting gas if you keep the 143 in it. A cold engine isn't efficient.

The troubleshooting steps for these is all over the internet- learn the theory behind its operation and troubleshooting will be much easier.

"When you gave it a bit of throttle", were you pumping it like you might if it had a carb? That doesn't help an injected engine because it sends conflicting information to the computer- >2% throttle position tells the ECM that the engine is in Run Mode, not Crank Mode and Crank Mode occurs when the engine speed is ~300RPM. If it does it again, just open the throttle a bit and if it starts, check the ECT- it's an easy way to determine this- if the ECT resistance is too high, it tells the ECM that the temperature is very low, so it increases the amount of fuel delivered and since it's trying to estimate what's needed for that 14.7% fuel-air ratio, too much gas means it won't start because it's too rich. Opening the throttle increases the air supply, so it starts.

What did the temperature gauge show when you turned the key to ON? If it does this again, turn the key to ON, but don't crank- this will show the temperature after heat soak.

Last edited by JimN; 05-26-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 01:06 PM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the replies!
Jim, I replaced the distributor this winter as it is a new to me boat with VERY little maintenance by the previous owner. I also got a new ignition coil but havenít replaced that yet. I will definitely check the engine codes. The ect checked good last fall, however it was cold out. I picked up an in-line adapter with a schraeder valve in it to check fuel pressure. Iíll stick that in before I head out next time, if that would be a help in diagnosis.
I took your advice last fall and replaced the thermostat with a 160. (Bear in mind that I only ran it once before I realized that the stat that was in it when I bought it was stuck open). It was the next weekend that I started having the hot start. So I bought a 143. I will gladly put the 160 back in.
Thanks again guys!
Old 05-26-2018, 01:08 PM
TT Newbie

The temp gauge was right at 143 (ish). It wasnít super high. However the engine box was HOT. Iíll bring my IR temp gun next time as well.