Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 02-12-2013, 11:21 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1983 Stars and Stripes/ 1998 30th Anniversary Stars and Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickespi View Post
I think someone posted this just to get me going. I won't get into what I really feel, but just let the record show that there were other "elite" guys around and none of them are running around talking about what they did or how great they are. Being in that position is an inherent thankless job so don't cry about not getting recognition because you think you deserve it. You aren't special. Everyone in the service gets their benefits the same way, by serving 20 years. If you couldn't finish out your career for anything other than medical reasons, then too bad. The SEALS have tarnished the reputation of the armed services special operations community and its directly related to the commander of the special operations command...a navy admiral. Of course he's going to make it seem like his branch is more capable than the others. They need to stick to maritime operations and stay off the terra firma. That is all. Sorry
Dont drink the Kool aid guy, I spent 10 years in the Teams and quite frankly this article sounds like it was totally twisted out of context. As far as "tarnishing" the reputation of the Spec Ops community as a whole, well theres a helluva lot more interest in it now from the general public than theres ever been....... Period! Fifteen years ago, numbers were dangerously low for the community (all of Specops) as a whole, and then 911 happens and they drop even further due to the same cats going to work at various secuirty companies making 5 times more a year doing the same job. The idea that we need to stay off the "terra firma" as you say has been an ongoing debate since the inception. I remember the day that all the Draegars (Scuba gear for those that dont know) that the Army had, were turned over to the Navy. Its military wide. Everyone trains and everyone wants to be utilized. The more your utilized the more funding will float your way.Bottom line is that whoever is in charge of SOCOM is going to look out for their own people. Period. Its all about where the money goes and unfortunatley to get a bigger piece of that pie, you need to be utilized, plain and simple. As far as people stepping out and talking about recent missions, well, that starts from the top down. The "silent professional" seems to have disappeared. Make no bones about it that they are just following someone elses lead. The White House should have never ever ever released what unit took out Bin Laden. Thats a fact. As soon as they did, that just opened Pandoras box and made it acceptable for people "in the know" to talk, write books, so on and so forthe. Listen, would you feel like your "secret was safe" and that nobody knew your name when within hours after the release of information, Virginia Beach is flooded with photographers and journalists looking to get the inside scoop and are outside YOUR DOOR taking pictures of YOUR HOUSE and YOUR FAMILY? That happened! Think you might bfeel a little bit betrayed????????I mean really, would you? Think about how they knew where everyone lived. I can tell you right now the folks over at DEVGRU didnt share it. Cats outa the bag at this point, might as well write a book. The idea that these books have compromised tactics is crazy. Listen, our tactics are based on the KISS theory, Keep It Simple Stupid and quite honestly what seperates us (Specops as a whole) is training and practice. Repetition. As far as benefits that hes owed, well, like you said, you do your twenty you get your 50%. I do believe though that we do owe people that are getting out of the military more help as far as transitioning back into civillian life. Its not an easy task.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:27 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron. View Post
If he knew how long was required to work in order to receive benefits after retirement, why on earth did he quit? Couldn't he have just worked a desk for a few years to ensure the health safety of his family? Seems like a massive blunder here on his part.

I feel sorry for his situation, but this really could have been avoided pretty easily.
I heard (on the news this morning) that he and his wife are separated and she wants to do a name change for her and the kid(s), to put some distance between them and him.

I don't see thin going well in the long run.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:29 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Cantrepeat,
You know Quiet Professional doesn't apply to SEALS. That's just an SF thing lol. All of this made evident by Act of Valor, Zero Dark Thirty, and all the numerous books put out.
It's my generalized statement about ALL Tier 1 assets. I won't watch Hollywood's version of war, I lived it.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 02-12-2013, 11:39 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X25, 6.0 Ilmor, Pro Package, slammed and flaked!
So SEAL Team Six has nothing to do the actual Navy SEALs. Aren't Team Six Operators recruited from Delta, Rangers, SEALs, and other special ops groups?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:54 AM

The real question is, why did he retire early...?

Anyone know?
Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Cantrepeat,
You know Quiet Professional doesn't apply to SEALS. That's just an SF thing lol. All of this made evident by Act of Valor, Zero Dark Thirty, and all the numerous books put out.
You do realize that some of (but not all) these movies were made as recruiting tools to generate interest in and aid in recruiting young men to join the Navy. Before our numbers dropped, and our tasking increased, Demi Moore requested access to BUD/S to prep her for her upcoming movie GI Jane, and she was denied by the Navy. A couple days later there was a call from the president, and guess what, here comes Demi.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:02 PM
TT Regular

[quote=Nick911;908531]So SEAL Team Six has nothing to do the actual Navy SEALs. Aren't Team Six Operators recruited from Delta, Rangers, SEALs, and other special ops groups?[/QUOTE

DEVGRU is the new name for the old SEAL Team 6. It is derived from operators from the other SEAL Teams. Delta isthe Army's equivalent of DEVGRU only it is derived from people within the Army.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:16 PM
MC Fanatic

My father in law spent 3 Christmas' in Vietnam and is thankful for everything done for him on return - he went out, found a job that paid benefits, and is happily retired now. He must just be crazy or something.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:46 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Tango II View Post
Dont drink the Kool aid guy, I spent 10 years in the Teams and quite frankly this article sounds like it was totally twisted out of context. As far as "tarnishing" the reputation of the Spec Ops community as a whole, well theres a helluva lot more interest in it now from the general public than theres ever been....... Period! Fifteen years ago, numbers were dangerously low for the community (all of Specops) as a whole, and then 911 happens and they drop even further due to the same cats going to work at various secuirty companies making 5 times more a year doing the same job. The idea that we need to stay off the "terra firma" as you say has been an ongoing debate since the inception. I remember the day that all the Draegars (Scuba gear for those that dont know) that the Army had, were turned over to the Navy. Its military wide. Everyone trains and everyone wants to be utilized. The more your utilized the more funding will float your way.Bottom line is that whoever is in charge of SOCOM is going to look out for their own people. Period. Its all about where the money goes and unfortunatley to get a bigger piece of that pie, you need to be utilized, plain and simple. As far as people stepping out and talking about recent missions, well, that starts from the top down. The "silent professional" seems to have disappeared. Make no bones about it that they are just following someone elses lead. The White House should have never ever ever released what unit took out Bin Laden. Thats a fact. As soon as they did, that just opened Pandoras box and made it acceptable for people "in the know" to talk, write books, so on and so forthe. Listen, would you feel like your "secret was safe" and that nobody knew your name when within hours after the release of information, Virginia Beach is flooded with photographers and journalists looking to get the inside scoop and are outside YOUR DOOR taking pictures of YOUR HOUSE and YOUR FAMILY? That happened! Think you might bfeel a little bit betrayed????????I mean really, would you? Think about how they knew where everyone lived. I can tell you right now the folks over at DEVGRU didnt share it. Cats outa the bag at this point, might as well write a book. The idea that these books have compromised tactics is crazy. Listen, our tactics are based on the KISS theory, Keep It Simple Stupid and quite honestly what seperates us (Specops as a whole) is training and practice. Repetition. As far as benefits that hes owed, well, like you said, you do your twenty you get your 50%. I do believe though that we do owe people that are getting out of the military more help as far as transitioning back into civillian life. Its not an easy task.
KISS...makes me think of rouge warrior. Great book if you have not read it.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 197 ProStar 2002
But according to Stars and Stripes magazine, the claim about health care is wrong:

Like every combat veteran of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, the former SEAL, who is identified in the story only as “the Shooter”, is automatically eligible for five years of free health care through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

Stars and Stripes contacted Bronstein, who told the paper that no one told the SEAL he was eligible for health care benefits. He also said that there wasn’t enough space in the Esquire article to, as Stars and Stripes put it, "explain that the former SEAL’s lack of health care was driven by an ignorance of the benefits to which he is entitled."