Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 12-28-2014, 11:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

New Boat Lift

I will be moving shortly and will boat at a new lake in 2015. During the summer I've kept the boat on the trailer, put it in and out for each use and stored it indoors at the marina. I will be joining the boat club at this lake and will be getting a slip. So, now I need to buy a lift and I'm looking for some advice since I don't know anything about them. I have a 2011 X2. 3500# dry weight. Must be powered. The tower doesn't fold easily so I will be leaving it up, but I still want a lift that has a canopy that's tall enough to accommodate the tower with it up. Does water depth make a difference? I'm not sure of the depth but I think it will be on the shallow side, probably 3 feet. Also, at some point I'm hoping to upgrade to a newer X30, so I'm hoping to get a lift that would accommodate the X2 now and an X30 in the future.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:36 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '13 x10 with 6.0 and '93 25th Anniversary Limited Edition
need more info ... lifts on my lake have to float (as do our docks) because of the water fluctuation ... sounds as if that is not your situation and you use a fixed dock????
Old 12-29-2014, 09:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
There are a lot of good lifts out there. My advice to you is make sure you go big as your next boat may weigh quite a bit more than 3500#. I had a 4k lift for my Prostar but had to upgrade to a 6k when I bought an x10 this last summer. If you think boats depreciate fast try trading in a boat lift!
Old 12-29-2014, 10:37 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Gekko GTO22(current)1998 Maristar 225VRS(past)
Agree with above. You just need more info. Are you talking a traditional lift that sits on the lake bed? Are you talking a air floater? Floaters usually don't have independent canopies, they would be part of the dock. They also have to be attached to the slip. Traditional lake bottom lifts are completely independent. They are common up to 5K and the options are very slim after that. A few companies make cable 6K's I think and then after that you go to hydraulics, which are close to double the cost.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:48 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 XT23
FLOE VSD6500 would be a great lift for you (unless you need floating)

The 6500 is a new size designed for medium/large tow boats

24Volt power (no cords on dock)
180 up/down cycles on one battery charge
virtually silent
48 seconds bottom to top
canopy extension kits available (leave tower up)
legs to level boat lift adjust with cordless drill

www.floeintl.com

VSD video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XJMICsRB4I

Leg adjustment video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEKMuTs8cz0

Canopy video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLK1NS_iUsE

2017 XT23

40 Mastercrafts and counting
Old 12-29-2014, 11:50 AM
jgraham37128

Hydro Hoist 6600lb lift.

Don't get a 4000lb pound lift with your boat even though you have 3500 dry weight a full tank of gas and a little gear inside and you're maxed out. Step into the boat and it goes down into the water. I've been there with my X2 and upgraded. Boat lifts will hold their value too so if you give 5K for one you should be able to sell it for 5K many years later. That's how it works in TN anyway. Only new lifts loose their value.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:23 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 19 X24
If you plan to get a newer X30, you better get a 6k lift. The new X30 is over 5k with just fuel in it....
Old 12-29-2014, 02:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
I'm in a similar situation as you. The difference is I don't want to shell out 8 grand for a lift. It's not that I don't have the money. When my nephew starts charging me for cleaning the bottom of the boat every week while its in the slip, then maybe I'll do an ROI analysis on the lift. Otherwise for now, it's staying in the water.

A nice new X30 would look pretty badass on a boat lift though.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintpollz View Post
I'm in a similar situation as you. The difference is I don't want to shell out 8 grand for a lift. It's not that I don't have the money. When my nephew starts charging me for cleaning the bottom of the boat every week while its in the slip, then maybe I'll do an ROI analysis on the lift. Otherwise for now, it's staying in the water.

A nice new X30 would look pretty badass on a boat lift though.
Some 90% boats (or some ridiculous figure close to that) that sink do so in the slip due to some sort of failure. That was the reason I bought my lift as I don't trust bilge pumps.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:58 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakerider16 View Post
Some 90% boats (or some ridiculous figure close to that) that sink do so in the slip due to some sort of failure.
I think that number is somewhere around 35-40% of wet docked boats sink because of wear and tear. Obviously, these numbers will vary depending on source. But even so, it is neglect by the operator in not replacing wear parts causing the boat to sink. Good maintenance will keep a boat afloat. There are only so many places water can make its way in.

My uncle kept his stars and stripes wet docked in Torch Lake, MI for 15 years until he got rid of it, never once a problem. He was on point with preventative maintenance.

Sorry if I derailed the thread a bit. I'm interested to see how your lift purchase goes as this may be the next big upgrade for me.