Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2018, 07:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
My Home river is 2.5ft-4ft deep. Always hitting sh$t and having to drop the rudder to remove the drivetrain to straighten it. 3 repairs in the last 4months alone. I hate that damn muffler. Iím always looking for a way to make anything I work on easier too. The FAE website shows 50 percent noise reduction so I think it would be quieter than what I have now. My biggest concern is doing damage to the engine from running to lean from not having a muffler.
How can you even get a wave with 2.5-4 ft of depth?

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 02-17-2018, 07:31 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Achilles sg124
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoody51 View Post
Go for it!!!!

My '08 X-14 with MCX came stock with straight pipes and no balancing between cylinder banks... absolutely no mufflers. Hard to believe but this is how they came in '08... Only thing it had was the wimpy baffles in the thru hull exhaust ports.

I installed an FAE and it quieted the sound down significantly. I can say with certainty that removing the mufflers and adding an FAE will reduce the sound from your current state and you will be NO louder than you are currently.

Larry, the FAE inventor, even suggested that having mufflers w/ FAE vs no mufflers with FAE, will be louder as the muffler(s) will add additional vibrations in the boat.
Thank you this is what I was looking for.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
How can you even get a wave with 2.5-4 ft of depth?
That is where we wake board and itís a 5 mile stretch. We surf by a 1/3 of mile stretch next to a bridge that is 15 ft.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Some years I get lucky and it will only be my buddies boat that is a stump magnet. This year it has been mine lol
Old 02-17-2018, 10:48 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None
A lot of wrong info in this thread. The main dude at FAE (cant remember his name at the moment) told me that the QUIETEST combination is straight pipes combined with FAE, quieter than mufflers combined with FAE. I am removing the muffler on my 2006 MCX and adding FAE.
Old 02-17-2018, 10:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesam View Post
A lot of wrong info in this thread. The main dude at FAE (cant remember his name at the moment) told me that the QUIETEST combination is straight pipes combined with FAE, quieter than mufflers combined with FAE. I am removing the muffler on my 2006 MCX and adding FAE.
Tell me how that makes any kind of sense besides trying to sell a product

Old 02-17-2018, 11:06 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None
No incentive. I am ordering FAE regardless.

Last edited by jesam; 02-17-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:14 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '08 X14
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Tell me how that makes any kind of sense besides trying to sell a product
I asked this same question and got the same answer from Larry the inventor, owner of FAE.

The theory is that the muffler can create extra vibrations, albeit small, that can get transferred into the boat. This have some validity but it also seems a bit of a stretch.

I do know and said it earlier, water is a superior sound dampening medium and will deaden sound better than any muffler ever could. IO and outboards don’t have mufflers as they exhaust into the water. All you hear on these setups is the mechanical noise of the motor, not exhaust noise.

If you are worried about sound with FAE, don’t. The sound will less than you can imagine.
Old 02-18-2018, 12:26 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoody51 View Post
I asked this same question and got the same answer from Larry the inventor, owner of FAE.

The theory is that the muffler can create extra vibrations, albeit small, that can get transferred into the boat. This have some validity but it also seems a bit of a stretch.

I do know and said it earlier, water is a superior sound dampening medium and will deaden sound better than any muffler ever could. IO and outboards donít have mufflers as they exhaust into the water. All you hear on these setups is the mechanical noise of the motor, not exhaust noise.

If you are worried about sound with FAE, donít. The sound will less than you can imagine.
Cool info. Would like to invest in one, but still not sold on the idea of maybe voiding a warranty if something catastrophic were to happen.

When I start up the pontoon (new merc 150) I can hardly even tell itís running. Itís wild.

Old 02-18-2018, 01:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 XT22, 2008 X2
There’s a group of us that all hand X2’s, all 4 of us had the MCX. Mine an 08 had had no mufflers, the other 3 newer models had exhaust. If there was ever a difference in noise it went unnoticed. I’d say without the exhaust it’s nots much louder and if anything it would be more efficient.