Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-08-2018, 03:21 PM
MC Master Poster

OBD2 apps/software and dongle?

I'm looking for a good solution for reading data, reading/clearing codes and generally knowing what;s happening with my engine/vehicles. I bought a cheap ELM-327 mini dongle, but it's a PITA to set up- I would rather have something that connects to a smart phone or computer easily but I don't want to spend a lot because I'm not using it for a business.

I have an iPhone6 (latest update) and a Windows 7 laptop. If needed, I can buy a used Android.

What are youse using?
Old 02-09-2018, 12:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 SN196, PCM 330HP 5.7L, ZeroOff
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
I'm looking for a good solution for reading data, reading/clearing codes and generally knowing what;s happening with my engine/vehicles. I bought a cheap ELM-327 mini dongle, but it's a PITA to set up- I would rather have something that connects to a smart phone or computer easily but I don't want to spend a lot because I'm not using it for a business.

I have an iPhone6 (latest update) and a Windows 7 laptop. If needed, I can buy a used Android.

What are youse using?
http://www.ultra-gauge.com/ultragauge/

I have their blue wireless version for precisely that need. I donít use it permantly in any of my vehicles. I have used it to clear codes and to understsnd smog sensors. It works great with the iPhone. I have several of their wired devices. One is installed in my Ď04 Tacoma and another in a Ď15 Tacoma.

Last check engine light codes were for a O2 sensor on exhaust on a Chev Tahoe. $20 in parts and problem solved and codes cleared. When I sold Tahoe I had smog sensors not ready to test after battery change. I used Blue Ultraguage to monitor until ready to smog test.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:56 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
I bought this and paid $5 (I think) for the Torque app for my phone. There were a lot of complaints on Amazon about not being able to get Bluetooth to connect, but I haven't had any problems. I'm not sure how in depth you're looking for, and I haven't spent a lot of time playing with mine. I mainly bought it for code reading/clearing. I know it does acceleration, power, and displays a lot of real time data.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 02-09-2018, 07:57 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X-2
If you're looking for some specific items, I can hook it up and check for you.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:17 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14 MCX w/Powerslot
Depending on your tech interest or level...a Raspberry pi with the can bus hat let's you read and write to the can bus (depending on how your vehicle is setup). I have a Ford and a GM, the GM being a bit easier.
Link (there are other options): http://copperhilltech.com/pican2-duo...pberry-pi-2-3/
Example of what you can do: when the vehicle is put into reverse, you can tilt your mirrors down. When you hold down your window button, it can turn a non auto up/down window into an auto up/down window. Of course you can also see throttle position and other engine data.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 86 Magnum Skier
I just went with forscan. Dongle comes Monday. Will let you know if that does any better. Next step for me is probably autoenguinity.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:26 PM
MC Master Poster

The problems I had were mainly connectivity and I tried using two laptops and my iPhone. I don't really care if it's wireless, but it's convenient if I happen to need to check something when I'm not at home or don't have a laptop. I wouldn't have a problem if it connected via USB cable, either. That way, some schmuck can't drive along, connect to it and screw something up. I thought one of the car parts stores would have a diagnostic tool that shows what I need, but they just have a code scanner and I want to see data.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:46 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Jim,
I've been using one from Blue Driver for about 2 years now and it works great.

https://www.bluedriver.com/

It's a bit more expensive but it's made in North America, it's not cheap China crap and they actually have a support team and provide updates.