Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 02-06-2018, 05:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 X-45 w/L18
Need replacement L18 8.1L Indmar

Some of you may remember my engine problems from a little less than a year ago
Fast forward, and here's my situation:

I have low compression in cylinder 8. Engine was taken apart and the exhaust manifolds are both cracked, and their gaskets poorly installed, as it's clear water has entered two of the cylinders (bent rods, rust, etc)

Engine appears rebuildable but I'm looking at almost $4k for everything including the replacement rods. (That's for a local shop to rebuild)

Have seen quotes from $5200 to $6200 for rebuilt long blocks online.

I would obviously also need the exhaust manifolds which is another $1200 or thereabouts, whether I rebuild what I have or go with another online purchased longblock

Looked at Michigan motors, Barr marine, Marine Engines Inc, and others.

Just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions. I can't afford $15k for a full drop in crate engine, and I'm already $4k in just labor (remove and reinstall engine, leakdown test etc).

Any ideas or suggestions?
Old 02-06-2018, 05:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Oh, and I also apparently need the silencer/muffler. The thing that both risers connect to, which then connects to the exterior exhaust baffles. Haven't had any luck finding that
Old 02-09-2018, 11:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '91 PS190, '05 X10 (sold) & '11 X25
I feel your pain, man. Just dropped 8 large to put mine back together. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2018, 10:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X Star
How much for a master reman
Old 02-15-2018, 02:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Here's where I ended up. For anyone searching for this topic in the future, this should hopefully help

You can find the 8.1L remanufactured longblocks anywhere from $5500 to $8000. They don't make the block anymore, so while you can find 'new' 8.1Ls, they're harder to find, and run closer to $15-18k.

Longblock 8.1L remanufactured engines with anywhere from 1-2 year parts and labor warranties are around $5000 on the low end, and $10,500 on the high end. Some vendors include the intake manifold with the longblock, which is a $500 value on its own. You can get the full crate engine with all the bells and whistles (fuel rail, intake, all manifolds and gaskets, etc) for ~$18k.

Muffler/silencer is another $750
MichiganMotorz sells the aluminum exhaust manifolds, gaskets, and risers (both sides) for ~$1250

Be careful of some vendors. There are some (even reputable ones) that do NOT offer a warranty AT ALL. To me, if I'm going to be dropping $8k on an engine, I'd at least want a 30 day, but some don't offer it.

Also, be sure you get the 'high output' version of the 8.1L - the 420 HP - not the standard 375 HP.

I opted for a $6500 remanufactured 8.1L engine, with a 2 yr parts and labor, and that includes a new intake manifold.

End of the day, I'm out around $9k in parts, and another $4k in labor to replace the engine (includes tests on old engine - leakdown, remove old engine and strip, install everything on new engine). Also another $3k for my rat problem resolution (replacing hoses, seals, etc)

...an expensive summer
Old 03-04-2018, 10:37 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS197
If the blocks are so expensive because they aren't made any more, did you get a decent core deposit back on your old block?
Old 03-18-2018, 06:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

$2500 core

Engine as of Friday afternoon...ready to go in. Should have the boat back this week
Attached Images