Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-29-2018, 04:44 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft 1987 pro star 190
Heat Safety Shutoff on 87 prostar?

Hello everyone, sorry if this is a topic already discussed.. I tried to do some research but could not find a thread about this issue.

I was pulling tubers behind my 1987 prostar 190 351w for almost an hour, I shutoff the boat to switch riders and then when I tired to crank it over I got nothing....

After getting towed back to the dock, approx. 15-20min the boat started just fine..

The Boat was running around 190 (pretty hot from the strain of the tubes, need to replace the impeller) but never over that.

My gut tells me I might have a loose connection at the key igintion, or is there some kind of safety mech in place that doesn't let you start the engine if it is to hot?

Just weird to me that it only happened once all summer..

any ideas is much appreciated!

This happened on my final day out last summer and just got the time to do some investigating..
Old 01-30-2018, 05:04 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2001 Prostar 190
Not sure if this helps, but we had a similar thing happen on our 2001 PS190 about a month ago. Overheated while slow cruising/idling watching an air show from the boat for an hour or two. Engine was DEAD. Absolutely nothing. Mechanic says it was a Heat sensor that tripped a switch and Wouldn't re-start at all. Mechanic reset the switch and started right up.

In our case the issue was apparently almost no fluid left in heat exchanger (added the heat exchanger because we're running it in salt water), but temp gauge never read over 160, as I was watching that. Who knows, maybe we have a bad temp sensor or bad gauge.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:45 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1987 ProStar 190
I have an '87 as well and have been thru the ignition system thoroughly. There is no overheat mechanism, other than the "buzzer" that is tied into the gauges. I think your loose connection theory is a good one.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: Mastercraft 1982 351 Powerslot Stars and Stripes
Vapor lock would be another possibility.... missed that it wasn't even cranking, check electrical from end to end.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:10 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
There are a couple things that can cause this. It’s not uncommon for the connections at the ignition switch to become loose- check that first.
Next is battery and starter cable connections. Remove and clean them all with a wire brush....don’t forget the block ground.
A loose or corroded connection will heat up and the resistance increases with the heat to the point where it can’t flow enough electricity.
My bet is the ignition switch connection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COSTOM DECALS - EMAIL FOR MORE INFO

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 02-07-2018, 02:17 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft 1987 pro star 190
Appreciate the info, I'll start from the ignition switch then run through the rest of the ignition system and check all of the connections/clean.