Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 07-05-2014, 10:54 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 Maristar 240 SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiffer View Post
A big thanks to everyone's suggestions. Went out yesterday morning with the wife and daughter and managed to get up one one ski on the 3rd try. For me head up with the ski to my butt were the keys I was missing Thursday. Hoping to go out this morning before the lake gets too crazy and repeat it. Overall not a bad progression for starting to ski only a week ago.

Congrats! Now the fun begins!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2014, 06:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 X2 MCX
Way to go!
Old 07-05-2014, 07:13 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X14
My youngest made some progress before she did a face plant and decided to call it quits for the day. One her 4th pull she got about 30' before she flopped to one side. She says the trainer rope really helps at the start of the pull. I think one more set of tries and she will have it. The winds were really kicking up here today (~16-23) and so I went out kiteboarding. That did not go well because I have a ton more to learn.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:26 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1993 Prostar 190 Stars&Stripes 25th Anniversary.
I have had my 93 prostar stars and stripes for about a month. Been greatly enjoying the boat and have greatly enjoyed teamtalk and all the helpful treads. I have been up on a slalom in about 30 years and now being 6'3 and 240 lbs I new it would be a challenge. This site was invaluable. I researched the type of ski I would need and as much as everything was telling me to go with a big daddy ski I wanted something that looked like a traditional ski. I found a house triumph 71 on Craigslist and I was ready and pumped up. Last weekend on my second try I thought I tore a hamstring and stopped for the day dejected only to wait another week. Spent week reviewing this thread and studying the recommendations into my brain. Got up on my third try today and enjoyed a great 20 minute run in less than perfect water. I'm juiced and glad my kids were there to cheer me on. Now just waiting until I can back on the water next weekend. Thank you to everyone.
Old 07-06-2014, 08:53 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
FWIW, I bought a used Big Daddy, after trying unsuccessfully with a Connelly Pilot. It's darn wide, but the Big Daddy did the trick for me. Super easy to get out, felt pretty stable until I tried to cross the wake. Right off the bat, I tried to carve across the wake and biffed hard. My wife said the ski and I both did 3 flips before coming to a stop. Second time I was more cautious and just slowly eased across. That worked much better. I'll be sticking with the BD for a while, at least until I get the hang of it.
G
Old 07-06-2014, 09:47 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ORidr View Post
My youngest made some progress before she did a face plant and decided to call it quits for the day. One her 4th pull she got about 30' before she flopped to one side. She says the trainer rope really helps at the start of the pull. I think one more set of tries and she will have it. The winds were really kicking up here today (~16-23) and so I went out kiteboarding. That did not go well because I have a ton more to learn.
Usually, that is from too much weight on the back foot. If you can get her to stand up straighter, bring her hips forward, knees slightly flexed, shoulders back and hands low, she will get that. Tell her it's like riding one of those Razor scooters. All your weight is on your front foot and your rear foot is only there to help you keep balance. If the front of the ski wags back and forth, it's most likely from weight too far back.