Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Upholstery

Old 12-02-2014, 04:50 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Foam for seating

I have to redo the foam in the bottoms of the rear most seats. Four years of being stepped on has taken its toll on them. The foam is compress and the seats are no longer comfortable to sit on. The vinyl is in great shape.

Any recommendations for specific foam/densities? Where to find? I stopped in a fabric store and was not too happy with what they had for a higher density.

My first time doing this so any other advice will be appreciated.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
---
My wakeboard is calling, and I must go ride! ~~ Me
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
Old 12-02-2014, 04:53 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Dang. I had spare seats from my 15 that I just gave to the new owner, that i coulda sent your way. (The cross stitching came undone under warranty) I'd give your local upholsterer a call!

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 12-02-2014, 05:03 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
Dang. I had spare seats from my 15 that I just gave to the new owner, that i coulda sent your way. (The cross stitching came undone under warranty) I'd give your local upholsterer a call!
I went to visit one that I though I knew. On the sign under the word "Upholstery" was cleaning in smaller print I never noticed before.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, Wow! What a Ride! ~~ Hunter S. Thompson
---
---
It is better to light one small candle than to curse the darkness. ~~ Chinese fortune cookie
Old 12-03-2014, 09:44 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 86 19' skier 351 PCM
I use www.sailrite.com or www.foamforyou.com for foam and fabrics. Some discussion on both sites about types and densities.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
Where in NorCal are you? I'm just south of Santa Rosa- there's a place called Creator's Foam Shop where I bought foam when I did my seats. They were really great- I went in and spent about an hour sitting on different pieces of foam to find something that felt good. I don't remember what density/firmness I ended up with, but I'm really happy with the way my seats turned out.
G
Old 12-03-2014, 10:23 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
awesome info - added to library thanks.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:28 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweaver View Post
Where in NorCal are you? I'm just south of Santa Rosa- there's a place called Creator's Foam Shop where I bought foam when I did my seats. They were really great- I went in and spent about an hour sitting on different pieces of foam to find something that felt good. I don't remember what density/firmness I ended up with, but I'm really happy with the way my seats turned out.
G
East Bay (San Ramon) so that would be a bit of a drive for me. I found their website. They have some information on the foam they have along with the density listed.
---
---
Old 12-03-2014, 11:00 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by byronic View Post
I use www.sailrite.com or www.foamforyou.com for foam and fabrics. Some discussion on both sites about types and densities.
Thank you. Lots of information...
---
---
Old 12-04-2014, 01:20 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 89 Prostar 190
check out sailrite's youtube videos. very good info there
Old 12-05-2014, 02:18 AM
MC Maniac

So I'm wondering. When I measure the height of the seat it foam section appears to be 3". However It occurs to me that if I use 3" foam then the vinyl will be loose. So is it really 4" that should be used?
---
---