Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-19-2013, 11:01 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2004 Prostar 197
New MC Boat (to me) and Boat Hoist - Help Please

Sold the old 1988 Hydrostream boat last fall and just picked up a 2004 MC 197. Pics are coming, so please be patient on that front. Picked it up last Saturday and put in the garage up at the cabin then had to drive straight home. Will get it out this weekend and into the water. I am so used to working on an outboard engine that I knew everything to do and now I have an inboard with little knowledge. So here are my two questions.

1 - What do I have to do to summerize it? The previous owner (only one) had everything done at a local MC dealer and never winterized or summerized because the dealer did everything - have all of the receipts to show the work done. That's not my style and I will do most of the work on the boat. I talked to a friend who is a regular behind many different MC's and he told me that I just needed to charge the battery and drop it in the water. Is that true? I know the plugs and impellor were put in last fall, but what about the antifreeze in the block? Don't even know where to start to drain the antifreeze? Anything else I am missing here?

2 - Also got the 4000 lb Shore Station hoist from the previous owner. Decided to pull all of the bunks off and redo them. I bought all new hardware and pressurzed lumber. Any recommendations on the carpet I should use for the bunks on the hoist? Have looked at outdoor carpet from Home Depot and some different marine carpet options. Recommendations / thoughts / concerns ? ? ?

Thanks for the help - I have been reading these forums for over 6 months - time to get some help and stop being concerned about being the idiot who asks a dumb question.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Depends what the dealer did. There may not be antifreeze in it. Could be block drains / knock sensors left out. If someone winterized it I would discuss summerization with them.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:53 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchtime View Post
I talked to a friend who is a regular behind many different MC's and he told me that I just needed to charge the battery and drop it in the water. Is that true? I know the plugs and impellor were put in last fall, but what about the antifreeze in the block? Don't even know where to start to drain the antifreeze? Anything else I am missing here?
If you're sure about the plugs and everything being in - you don't need to worry about the antifreeze. It will just drain itself out when the boat starts and be replaced by lake water as it runs.

2013 X-25
Old 05-21-2013, 06:39 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 86 19' skier 351 PCM
Hey "torchtime", congratulations on your purchase and i'm sure you will be happy with it. Any chance your cottage is on Torch Lake?
Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-Series, 30, 2008
For the carpet runners on the boat lift. If you buy the roll carpet at Home Depot, the nice thing is the can cut it in the width of strips that you need. Saves a lot of measuring and cutting time. Make sure to use stainless staples.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 AM
TT Newbie

Thanks for the help. Decided to take a run at the Home Depot carpet. It is about a 1/3 of the cost and I have used that stuff in the past and I have not had to redo my bunks on my old hoist in over ten years. Talked to the dealer at Action Water and he said they made the boat summer ready when they winterized it. Told me the antifreeze will wash out and that the plugs are good to go. The only thing he said is that I need to check the manifold hose to make sure it is connected. Anyone have a picture of what he is talking about????

Byronic - We were up on Torch for a handful of years but recently moved down to the south east corner of Elk Lake - Get the sunsets and am only about 10 miles outside of Traverse City. Where we were on torch took over 40 minutes to get in to TC. Plus there is a ski course about 3 min boat ride away.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:44 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2010 MasterCraft Prostar 190 TT, Indmar MCX GM 350
I would consider an oil change.....

Hook Em' Horns
Old 05-22-2013, 10:48 AM
TT Newbie

Oil Change was done in the fall by the dealer. Anything else I might consider?
Old 05-22-2013, 11:14 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Quote:
Originally Posted by torchtime View Post

Byronic - We were up on Torch for a handful of years but recently moved down to the south east corner of Elk Lake - Get the sunsets and am only about 10 miles outside of Traverse City. Where we were on torch took over 40 minutes to get in to TC. Plus there is a ski course about 3 min boat ride away.

Dude do you own that course? I've been trying to find the owner - PM me!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:15 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Manifold hose is the cross over hose on the back of the boat - between the two sides of the manifold where older boats had drains.