Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-13-2004, 06:56 PM
TT Newbie
Question Change in Seating... Captains chair vs bench

I would like to change my passenger seat on my 1990 Maristar 210 from a chair to a bench. Anyone ever done this? Would like to make something to look like the seating in the open bow prostar / x-star. Plus it should help add a new storage area.

Just looking for ideas.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:11 AM
I changed out my captain's chair observer's seat in my '90 TriStar with a "bench" I built out of 3/4 inch plywood painted white with hinged lid for storage. I bought two inexpensive folding boat seats and bolted them to the base. Works great. Adds storage. Looks decent. cost $75 maybe. Adds another seat (the captain chair is very inefficient) Can change it back to original when selling.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:17 AM
MC Hero
Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
John, pictures?
Previous: 1993 Prostar 205

Red 1998 Ski Nautique, PCM GT40, 310 hp, , Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG/Zbox.

Be kind. Have fun.
Old 09-14-2004, 10:28 AM
TT Enthusiast
Boat: MasterCraft, 19 FT, 1986 S&S, 351 Ford
How about some pictures?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:38 PM
Good idea - will take them this weekend and post.
Old 09-16-2004, 02:05 AM
TT Newbie
Boat: 1990 TriStar 190
There was an earlier post on this topic with quite a bit of response. It seems there was a man who said that you might have some problems structurally by removing seat/adding another.
Personally, I like having the passenger captain's chair. I usually keep it spun around at an angle in the corner but I find useful however you configure it. I would like to have the storage that ProStar seating has, but I'm happy with what I've got.
Different strokes for different folks, eh?
To be quite honest, I don't sit over there, so I ain't worried about it that much.
the driver
Old 09-16-2004, 07:45 AM
MC Devotee
Boat: 2000 PS205/1999 Manitou 24' party barge
John, That's a good idea!! I hated that swivel bucket seat on my 89 Tristar.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:26 AM
Thanks. I thought it was a pretty good idea. I've got a wife and two small kids - all of whom I want right beside me when going full speed. Plus when pulling the wife, it helps to have two seats for the kids rather than one. Structurally, there is no negative to the different seating. Both the observer and driver's captain's chairs have 8 screws going into the floor - so you give up no structural integrity. The only trick (atleast on the TriStar with a center mounted fuel tank) is make sure your screws on the observer's side are not too long or you will go into the fuel tank with two screws. That may be what the post was referring too. Will try to get some pics this weekend. It's nothing beautiful - probably not up to you guys standards. But it works beautifully and adds storage. Hey the boat is 14 years old - so who cares. Plus we eat Cheetos in the boat. I definitely do not deserve a new MC!!