Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Electrical

Old 10-05-2010, 03:46 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1988, ProStar 190, 351w
Temp gauge reading increases when accessories powered up

Hey folks,

My prostar typically runs around 170 deg, gauge in general appears to work as it should.

However, with each accessory I power up the engine temp reading will increase by about 5 degrees. So, if I switch on the bilge, it will it 175, lights 180, heater and I am pushing 190.... etc. This works both ways (switch them all off and temp instantly back to normal).

Clearly this just has to do with the increased electrical draw and not actually a change in engine temperature. Not really a concern per say, but it is a bit unsettling when the high temp alarm goes off (I am compelled to turn off the accessories even though I know it is a false reading).

Is this normal? If not, any suggestions?

THANKS!

88 Prostar 190, 351w
Old 10-05-2010, 03:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
My guess would be a bad ground for the temp gauge.

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $289 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS
FOR 302, 351 & 454 STARTING AT $450 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 10-06-2010, 08:18 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
Before I can give any suggestions, I have a few questions:

#1 Does your temperature gauge work correctly at all other times? It starts at the
maximum cold position when it's first started and then moves to the 170 degree point?

#2 What do the other gauges do when this happens?

#3 To verify your gauge wiring, remove the tan wire from the temperature sending unit and
see if the temperature gauge drops to the cold position.
Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
My guess would be a bad ground for the temp gauge.
Connection to the sending unit is clean. I should remove the unit and clean both sides of the threads and see if that helps. I tightened all the gauge connections when I had the dash out a few months ago, so pretty sure it is all good on that end.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:06 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
my old boat does this as well. When i turn the blower on i lose a quarter tank of gas. Always fun when at idle i forget I have the blower on and think ive gone through alot more gas then i should then realize its on and turn it off
Old 10-06-2010, 11:19 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahhudgins View Post
#1 Does your temperature gauge work correctly at all other times? It starts at the maximum cold position when it's first started and then moves to the 170 degree point?
Yes, works exactly as one would expect at all other times. I suppose I don't know for certain that the readout is correct when it runs at 170, but that seams in the ballpark to me with a 160 deg thermostat

Quote:
#2 What do the other gauges do when this happens?
When an accessory if first switched on I may see a brief very bounce in the voltmeter, maybe the oil pressure gauge as well, but I believe they will quickly read normal after that. I will verify next time I am in the water.

Quote:
#3 To verify your gauge wiring, remove the tan wire from the temperature sending unit and see if the temperature gauge drops to the cold position.
I will do that next time I get to the water, which should be this weekend. Given that the gauge reads more or less correctly I suspect the wiring is correct but certainly worth investigating.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2010, 11:23 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
my old boat does this as well. When i turn the blower on i lose a quarter tank of gas. Always fun when at idle i forget I have the blower on and think ive gone through a lot more gas then i should then realize its on and turn it off
Interesting that you have the same symptom on a different gauge. Do any of your other gauges change?
Old 10-06-2010, 01:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft, PS 190, 1990, 351 windsor
False Alarms

My 1990 PS 190 does the same thing. Worse is when I plugged a spot light into the Aux port and it immediately jumped to 220 degrees with the alarm going off. That is very unnerving when it is dark and you are trying to navigate a strange lake looking for a houseboat. I thought I was toast until I finally figured out what was going on. It all turned out good and just got back from 4 days of glass on Lake Shasta, did not see one other skier or boarder the whole time! Anxious to know if anyone knows how to correct this.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
Send a message via Yahoo to ahhudgins
It is very common to see all of the gauges drop (go to the left) when more accessories are turned on, especially in older boats. The gauges have one side connected to 12V and the other side connects to a sensor that acts like a variable resistor to ground. It only takes a small resistance change to see a change on the meter. If you have any bad connections in the meter circuit, you will have less current flow and the meter will have less deflection (moves to the LEFT). Also, if you turn on a blower or a large flood light, your battery voltage can drop 1 or 2 volts and this also causes less current to flow through all of the meters.

I used to own an 87 Prostar and I fixed this problem by rewiring my dash. The wiring behind my dash had a bunch of those crimp connectors between the gauges. I installed two terminal strips under my dash; I connected one strip to the 12V from the ignition switch and the other directly to the battery ground. I then removed all of the crappy wiring between the gauges and ran a 12V wire and a ground wire to each gauge. Problem solved. I can hand draw a picture of what I did and post it since I donít have the boat any more.
I have a theory as to why one gauge deflects MORE, but I would have to get some one to test it with a voltmeter. I think rewiring the dash would fix that problem as well.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1983 Skier 190 Stars and Stripes
My boat does this too, not to bad though just a little movement when I activate the blower or bilge.

JTR
"The misery that is now upon us is but the passing of GREED-the bitterness of men who fear the way of human progress. The hate of all men will pass, and dictators die and the power they took from the people will return to the people and so long as men die Liberty will never perish."
-Charles Chaplin-