Go Back   TeamTalk > Classifieds Buy/Sell > What is this boat worth?

Old 07-25-2014, 05:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: '03 x9 mcx
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02ProstarSammyD View Post
Only thing I'll say is be up front with the guy if you have a number in mind before you go lake testing and using up alot of his time. God knows I spent more times spending 2 hours running around for a lake test to hear "I've got 20 to spend".

Early I hear ya man. Might have something to do with the Charlotte area too. I got my x9 for a steal and returned the favor to someone but most of the time they pop up in raleigh they are in the 22-28 range.

Absolutely! Honestly is key as a buyer and seller! I don't want to waste his time and more than I want to waste my own! More great advice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasjet View Post
One thing I have been told is that NADA does not include the trailer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
There is an option to include a trailer, along with trailer options. I've included this into the NADA value i listed.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:18 PM
TT Newbie

Ok guys, went and looked at the boat today and here is what I took from it. Looks to be a decently maintained, but not miticulously maintained boat overall. Several scrapes and scaring of the hull mainly on the decal sections and rub rails from docks etc... (see pics).

The shaft seal as mentioned in the first post definitely needs repacked, as the engine compartment was probably filled with 3 in of water within 30 mins. Vinyl is not as bad as I was expecting, with main "problem areas" being on the transom and rear seat bottom from people in and out of rear of boat. Some heavy fading on the stitched emblems (see pics) but still in nice shape otherwise.

Tower seems to be in decent shape, but was concern with wiring of speakers, the wires were exposed across the top beam for the tower speakers and the wires were exposed again with somentype of connection point at the towers pivot point (see pics), is this normal?

Also, the trailer has some trouble areas as well, lights missing on one side and broken fender on other.

With all this being said and new pictures to show, what do you guys think price wise now?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:37 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: MasterCraft X-14, '09 Blue
Screams rode hard and put away wet. Some of that rub rail and scuff damage can be cleaned up, maybe not the decal. If the hull is cloudy with oxidation, it can be brought back to life. Fenders look like they can be buffed out, the damage repair will set you back a few hundred. Now that the shaft seal needs repacking you can put in an OJ dripless. I can't remember, was the hull hooked in 2003? Did you notice if it had a hook in it? You have a $2500 tower on a $22K boat, so $24500 is where I would be at. This has a big ski wake, nothing like the smooth wake of a 190, 197, or 214.
Old 07-27-2014, 09:43 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
The tower wiring picture is hard to see so you may want to share a few more pics or describe it a little better in order for folks to be able to comment. On ours, the wiring is exposed coming out of the top tower structure and goes into the bottom bracket. This allows to to flex and move when lowering the tower. It comes out at the front foot of the tower and goes into the hull without a connector. I've seen some that have a connector there but unless you have a need to remove the tower, I don't see the point or value.

Boat wise it's not bad shape but far from MCOD maintained or operated. Upholstry wise there wasn't much that could be done to prevent the damage you see however, it's just the nature of the vinyl used those years. Comparison wise our 2001 205V is in better shape overall and beginning to get these little tears in the seat bases. I've had one piece fixed but will be looking at having to do the interior sooner rather than later. So that plus other damage noted would need to be deducted from the price and considered as an added expense you will have to fork out later. Probably ~$6k in costs to fix interior, fender, and dock rash if you took it to viper and shops to do all the work. Maybe $4k if you did some DIY?

I don't know relative value of other hulls as much as I do the 205V but it sounds like it's priced pretty high and just average maintained As you already mentioned. Probably better deals out there or from folks on this site if patient. I know the fall will be approaching soon and more will come available as winter begins to set in and folks decide to sell.

Let us know how this comes out.
Old 07-27-2014, 10:48 AM
TT Newbie

The wiring on the tower that I was speaking of is basically that, rather than the wiringncomingndirectly out of the tower at each speaker and connecting the wire(s) come out of a central hole near the nav light on top and then route to the speaker via laying on the top of the tower crossbars. The connections pictured in the last picture are at the flex point doing out of the down tube and into the lower bracket as mentioned. The concern I have is that there is probably a 12-16 inch lead of wire hanging, then of course the connectors for tower removal as mentioned earlier. This just didn't look like a very clean or maintained install, which was why I questioned if this is how it is factory?
Old 07-27-2014, 12:31 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fst97gt View Post
The wiring on the tower that I was speaking of is basically that, rather than the wiringncomingndirectly out of the tower at each speaker and connecting the wire(s) come out of a central hole near the nav light on top and then route to the speaker via laying on the top of the tower crossbars. The connections pictured in the last picture are at the flex point doing out of the down tube and into the lower bracket as mentioned. The concern I have is that there is probably a 12-16 inch lead of wire hanging, then of course the connectors for tower removal as mentioned earlier. This just didn't look like a very clean or maintained install, which was why I questioned if this is how it is factory?
OK that's a pretty clear picture. As to speaker routing, ours has 2 holes - each centered around each bank of speakers and a short length of wire (with weather cover over it) maybe 10" long going to the farthest speaker. The other leads are shorter. As you describe, the single opening isn't the cleanest way to do an install. My guess is that the tower was added after it left the factory and they either used an existing hole or wanted to do it quick so went this route. Some speakers actually hide the wire in the clamp.

If it's properly protected it's likely OK just not pretty.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:12 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2003 X-9
I have the same year and model and mine was treated a little worse! I started a thread needing a little tlc. Once I got it cleaned up, it has been perfect. I would say it is a lot over priced. He needs to come down quite a bit. I would expect he priced it a what a dealer would.
Make sure to check the brakes if it has them.
I made the deal on my boat and drove off and after a mile I did another inspection only to find out my hubs were hotter than you not what. The brakes weren't releasing.
My lights were wired the same on the tower, a little annoying.
Mine didn't have sacs or a cover but that is a small price.
Perfect Pass?
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=53412
Old 07-27-2014, 07:23 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHighorDie View Post
I have the same year and model and mine was treated a little worse! I started a thread needing a little tlc. Once I got it cleaned up, it has been perfect. I would say it is a lot over priced. He needs to come down quite a bit. I would expect he priced it a what a dealer would.
Make sure to check the brakes if it has them.
I made the deal on my boat and drove off and after a mile I did another inspection only to find out my hubs were hotter than you not what. The brakes weren't releasing.
My lights were wired the same on the tower, a little annoying.
Mine didn't have sacs or a cover but that is a small price.
Perfect Pass?
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=53412
WOW! yes yours looked to be a far worse shape than this one for sure! I don't want to give the full impression that this thing is turd or need major restoration, however I do feel that it has its imperfections and not the meticulous upkeep that i feel it deserves.

One thing I forgot to mention is the current owner said that most of the rub rail marks on the side came from the previous owner, with him basically just buying and enjoying the boat to pull around his two kids. The current owner was very nice and as informative as he could be with what he could explain and knew. He didn't come off as a "hands on" kind of guy though, meaning he would be the first to allow a dealer do work and not a detailing kind of guy.

I feel a good cleaning and buffing of the outside will rejuvenate this boat back to its glory! HAHA

Mechanically it was very sound and stable, steering was very responsive, throttle easily, into gear without any noise or heavy engagement. However i will mention that it did make a "whine" when in reverse, is this typical?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2016 X30 6.0L
Yes the whine in reverse is normal.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:12 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Looks like your average to above average boat to me!

Got to remember that the MCOCD exhibited on this site is not so much the norm!

I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on that boat if the price was right.