Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 01-16-2015, 10:01 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Alternative to teak

Help me out here.

Here is my situation. Im doing a platform swap. I would like to keep the original platform incase I ever sell.

I would like a new platform for multiple reasons, so please don't say "trim/cut/restore restore your old one". This is not an option.

Also, due to the fact that this will go through running changes, I need a wood that isn't costly like teak.

My boat is trailered as well so it is not moored.

So what other wood is suitable for being in the water for prolonged periods of time? Im building a platform for surfing; with wooden gates; with an area to mount a small bbq. If I need to coat to protect, then I can apply strips of seadek or similar to restore grip. But I also love the look of wood so not looking to make it out of fiberglass
Old 01-16-2015, 10:23 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Marine plywood? And then change it until you get what you are looking for then use that as a pattern for transferring to teak.

I would screw 2 3/4 inch pieces together and go from there, don't forget to put some marine varnish on it if it will be in the water for a period of time.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:30 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
marine plywood wouldn't be suitable unless encased in resin, and even then not great.

Ipe (Ironwood) may work but I doubt it is much cheaper than teak.
I'd probably be inclined to use composite or PVC decking and make an aluminum or SS frame.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 VRS 230 w/X-boat package, 8.1L
I will +1 Curver and suggest building it out of something cheap, until you figure out a final design. Plywood and epoxy will be plenty durable for testing purposes, and I would imagine it'll be much cheaper than going with good wood. Plus you can always cut and trim, then reapply epoxy without having to redo the entire panel.
G
Old 01-16-2015, 06:13 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 22' Progression
Wooden gates and a BBQ? This could be the start of the " ugly swim platform thread"
Old 01-16-2015, 07:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 ProStar 209
Look in Craigslist in the free section. I find postings for free teak furniture frequently. Maybe you can limit your costs by using old dressers, lawn furniture and cabinets some doesn't want anymore then after you perfect your design make a new one?
Old 01-16-2015, 08:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Marine teak and just normal teak I believe are different. Like bouyhead said, this could get ugly. Despite you not wanting to use your platform you have, that's your best option. I don't believe that would affect any kind of resale value on your boat.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 01-17-2015, 07:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 XT22 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
marine plywood wouldn't be suitable unless encased in resin, and even then not great.

Ipe (Ironwood) may work but I doubt it is much cheaper than teak.
I'd probably be inclined to use composite or PVC decking and make an aluminum or SS frame.
I would second the composite idea. You could probably get a good looking decking composite that would stand up to the water, and perform just like wood.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:17 AM

Boat: XT22
Composite would work. One of our old members made a platform for his X30 out of composite. Also 5/4x6 or 1x4 mahogany decking is about the same price and will work.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1991 Maristar 240 Open Bow w/ 454
Quote:
Wooden gates and a BBQ? This could be the start of the " ugly swim platform thread"
Sorry, The bbq is not going to be hard mounted. But I need to be able to stick an aluminum pole or square stock in the platform and have the area reinforced so the bbq doesn't tip over, and I need it to withstand the torquing stresses. I would rather it be over the water so I don't grease stain anything as well. My uncle has this on his huge cruiser. Its a very nice option to be able to fire up the grill on the water when we are anchored, have a few brews, and grill some meat. Some friends have tried to convince me to bring the small grill and do it on the platform, but that's an accident waiting to happen.

Quote:
Like bouyhead said, this could get ugly. Despite you not wanting to use your platform you have, that's your best option. I don't believe that would affect any kind of resale value on your boat.
Well Aric, your wrong. Every additional thing you do to the boat that is not factory takes away from the value. Yup I'm bottom painted and have some poor gel-coat color mating done, but I don't need to ruin things further. Plus I can tell your not a builder or mess with things. Anyone that does knows its a bad idea to start cutting up the original platform.

Quote:
Also 5/4x6 or 1x4 mahogany decking is about the same price and will work.
I will have to look into this. I'm leary on composite as Ive read to many bad things, so Im looking for a wood that will work. I might just have to oil it a bit more often but Im ok with that