Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-14-2018, 10:10 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Which temp tstat are you running. That engine needs a 142.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-15-2018, 09:23 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft PS 190 5.7 98 SN GT40
Not sure, I will watch it tonight and see what the gauge reads. My Cousins boat and he has it serviced in the fall. He is unsure what they do to it for normal winterization.
Think I will also take the infrared thermometer along to see if the gauge is accurate. Plan to attack the fuel system this weekend and may just put a new thermostat in it at the same time.
Thanks
Old 08-15-2018, 10:42 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Can also be a flaky coolant temp sensor..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-16-2018, 09:45 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: MasterCraft PS 190 5.7 98 SN GT40
Ran the boat last night for about 2 hours pulling skiers. Left running the whole time. When back at the dock shutting off and trying a restart worked fine. However, last week when the problem occurred it was 90 deg. Last night it was only 80.
WE let the boat sit for about 20 min. with the cover down Still started OK. But noticed that the fuel pump sounded a lot different then when we started it cold at the beginning of the night. Instead of a quick several second buzz when the ignition was turned to on, it started slowly and got faster before shutting off.
Temp gauge was reading right on the 0 of the 60 deg C mark on the gauge. So that should be right around 145 deg F. But after letting the boat sit I got reading of 170 F around the thermostat housing with a laser temp gauge. Exhaust risers were around 150 F and the lower block was about the same. Fuel pump was about 100 F .
Last week when it would not pump fuel the pump was too hot to leave you fingers on it for more that a second.
I am going to try one more reading with the laser this weekend under normal running conditions to determine if the thermostat housing temps match up to the dash gauge readings. Will probably pull the thermostat and replace either way, but may want to replace the coolant temp sensor also if my readings show a difference.