Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2016, 12:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-14
Help with another upholstery issue

I've read a lot of the upholstery threads but wanted to get thoughts on my situation. I have a 2008 214. The long seams in the three rear bottom seats have each come apart from being stepped on getting in and out of boat. The rest of the vinyl is still in great shape (not near needing replacement). I have talked with Viper who talked with great lakes and there is no more matching vinyl for redoing these three seats. I hate to pay for a complete redo when the only problem is the three seams on these seats. What do you folks recommend? Living with it until the rest needs replacing? Trying to get the seams resown? Finding something close enough until the rest need replacing? Other suggestions? Any good upholstery shops near Richmond, VA?
Old 04-27-2016, 06:03 AM
MC Addict

Boat: Barefoot 200 MasterCraft 1993 ProV200 Outboard
Call Jim !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(865) 679 2246 Cph (ANYTM UPTO 9PM EST)
[email protected]

I've got badass '93 MC BF 200 w/ a Yahamie ProV 200.
M O S T A W E S O M E C R A F T E V E R B U I L T
'Luv'n life behind a Barefoot 200'
atlfootr

Old 04-27-2016, 06:48 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
There is a shop in Caroline (north of Hanover) right on 301. I have a seam that needs re-stiching and I stopped by to talk to them. They showed me pictures of a few of the boats they have done and their work looked very good. I'm going to get them to restich my seat soon. If you're interested I'll find the name and contact info.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:14 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '07 X2
I had a similar issue with seams separating where people step in/out of the boat. My local shop said the age and condition of the vinyl wouldn't allow them to restitch with some kind of backing on it (my idea). The vinyl where the stitching would need to be was brittle/dry and so I am having new skins made, was lucky to get matching vinyl. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 X14
This brings up a question. How to prevent this with the constant stepping? I have taken to putting a moving blanket folded up on the back seat where people come in and out. Problem is we forget about it when going full speed and it goes for a swim. Any idea how heavy a moving blanket is when full soaked with water? Hint: it *ain't* light!

How to prevent feet from damaging old vinyl?
Old 04-27-2016, 12:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Maristar 210VRS, 2000
This is what I got for my boat. Same issue with ripping vinyl where everyone steps. Also use it when setting stuff around the boat and I don't want it damaging seats or floor.

Kind of ghetto, but hopefully it gets me a few more years out of the center seat pad.

http://seatsaver.com/
Old 04-27-2016, 05:50 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94 Prostar 190
its hard to be able to tell without pictures but I had a vinyl tell me that if it's just the seem that is split you can take the whole skin off the seat and have it re-sewn from the inside and then have the skin replaced. I've never had it done to any boat that I've owned but I've been told its a good option if the vinyl is good but the seems are splitting, which seems to be your case.
good luck and keep us updated with what ever route you go!
Old 04-27-2016, 06:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 79 S&S. 87 Prostar Powerslot. Present 95 Maristar 200VRS
I had to make the same decision on my 95 Maristar. The one cushion that everyone steps on when leaving the dock was starting to split. Rather than recover that one cushion, I had all 5 of them done. My vinyl is an off white and no one can see the difference between the seat backs and the cushions. If I had to do it all over again, I would just recover the one torn cushion and then have the complete boat redone later. It all depends on the condition of the rest of your interior, and if you think that you might need to redo the entire boat in a few years.

This is why I should have waited and had the whole boat done.
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ght=upholstery
Old 04-27-2016, 08:39 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiecharlie View Post
I've read a lot of the upholstery threads but wanted to get thoughts on my situation. I have a 2008 214. The long seams in the three rear bottom seats have each come apart from being stepped on getting in and out of boat. The rest of the vinyl is still in great shape (not near needing replacement). I have talked with Viper who talked with great lakes and there is no more matching vinyl for redoing these three seats. I hate to pay for a complete redo when the only problem is the three seams on these seats. What do you folks recommend? Living with it until the rest needs replacing? Trying to get the seams resown? Finding something close enough until the rest need replacing? Other suggestions? Any good upholstery shops near Richmond, VA?
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=71998&page=9
Old 04-27-2016, 08:43 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
I had one small screw hole in the driver's seat (my fault). I had the entire boat skinned to get matching skins. Seems to be the nature of the beast.

Good luck
Attached Images

Tags
seats, upholstery, vinyl