Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2018, 12:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 X-Star
I have been on the selling end of a bad test drive - two of them in a row to the same person.

I am pretty particular about stuff, so everything was in 100% working order before the test drive - boat was clean, all fresh fluids, just waxed, totally set up and dialed in...until we got to the lake.

GPS puck decided to take a crap for the perfect pass - so the speedo and PP didn't work.

we get off the lake, I get a new puck, fix it - and then take him back out the next week.

about 5 seconds after letting him take the wheel on the second test drive he hit a log at WOT. No damage to the boat, just the prop, but end of test drive.

get the prop fixed, next time out on the lake everything works - he buys the boat full price offer (even though it was priced really high - I think he felt bad).
Old 06-05-2018, 01:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
I was selling my wife's old car a few years ago. It had been a trouble car free for many years. Guy takes it for a test drive and returns saying, "It drove great, I will take it." He pops the hood to make sure it has an engine and there is antifreeze everywhere. The intake gasket failed on the test drive, probably coming up my driveway. The deal was off. The guy looked at me like he had just dodged a bullet.

I replaced the intake gasket, which was a huge pain on that car, raised the price $200 to pay for my parts and sold it to a different buyer.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:40 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-Star
i had a deposit down on an X2 and was going to buy contingent on a lake test. on the ride, I pointed out that the cruise didn't seem to be working. Seller assured me that it was, but he never used it when riding. Red flag. I took some hard corners to get the boat to slow and the engine would never change RPM's. Was prepared to offer our agreed price minus the amount to get PP installed, but that same day, I found out my friend was selling the boat I currently have. Went that route.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2019 XStar
I was selling the very first boat I had owned, a 22' SeaRay Seville right before buying my first inboard. A gentleman came to the house to look at it. He fell in love with it. It was 10 years old but had been a great boat for us and I had kept it up really nice. We hooked it up to the hose to run it in the driveway. As it ran I noticed it was spewing oil along with the water all over my concrete. What the heck?!! Of all the luck... Anyhow, in good conscience I pointed it out to him, but he said, "eh, probably just needs a new gasket" and he bought it anyway.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:33 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Was helping a friend look at a Glasstron a few years back. Boat looked good for the price and only had a couple hundred hours on it. Did the full walk around then started checking fluids. Oil was like a milk shake. Walked away.

Went to look at a 95 ProStar for a flip boat that was listed real cheap about 5 years ago. When I go there to look at it I noticed the trailer was not a MC trailer but was for an I/O. Worse yet the boat was driven up a 2x4 ramp/lift and was sitting half in the water and half on shore. He offered to take me on a test drive and figured I do it just to see how he got it off this ramp/lift. He starts it up hits the gas, water flying everywhere and we actually bakc off this thing but not without taking about 15 gallons of water over the transom. The boat shook, vibrated and could barely do 25 MPH.

When we get back I tell him I didn't want to insult him so I wouldn't make an offer. He tells me not to worry insulting him and says he just wants the boat gone. I sat in the truck trying to figure out how I could turn a profit on this boat without taking it apart and selling it piece by piece but just couldn't make the numbers work. Had to drive away. He was asking $3K and probably would have taken a grand. Too bad.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '94 PS205 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Was helping a friend look at a Glasstron a few years back. Boat looked good for the price and only had a couple hundred hours on it. Did the full walk around then started checking fluids. Oil was like a milk shake. Walked away.

Went to look at a 95 ProStar for a flip boat that was listed real cheap about 5 years ago. When I go there to look at it I noticed the trailer was not a MC trailer but was for an I/O. Worse yet the boat was driven up a 2x4 ramp/lift and was sitting half in the water and half on shore. He offered to take me on a test drive and figured I do it just to see how he got it off this ramp/lift. He starts it up hits the gas, water flying everywhere and we actually bakc off this thing but not without taking about 15 gallons of water over the transom. The boat shook, vibrated and could barely do 25 MPH.

When we get back I tell him I didn't want to insult him so I wouldn't make an offer. He tells me not to worry insulting him and says he just wants the boat gone. I sat in the truck trying to figure out how I could turn a profit on this boat without taking it apart and selling it piece by piece but just couldn't make the numbers work. Had to drive away. He was asking $3K and probably would have taken a grand. Too bad.

He wouldn’t take $2500. I tried that. If you are talking about the red ‘94 off Walton road on the little round lake. He wouldn’t budge off 3500 when I was there. I’m still amazed how trashed people will let stuff get.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:17 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
My current boat (2007 197TT) was a semi fail that worked out great. Drove 4 hours to trial a boat on Lake Lanier. Everything was great except PP didn’t work. Salesman called his shop and the mech said the module was probably bad so they took $500 off the agreed upon price and I was off on my return trip, boat in tow.

Got home and was just getting familiar with the boat/engine and found the PP was unplugged. Easiest $500 I’ve ever earned!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-06-2018, 08:43 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
He wouldn’t take $2500. I tried that. If you are talking about the red ‘94 off Walton road on the little round lake. He wouldn’t budge off 3500 when I was there. I’m still amazed how trashed people will let stuff get.
I'm thinking it was the same one. If I recall we traded posts on that one. He was at $3K when I got there and told me I'd be surprised at what he would take for the boat. Like you say it was beat, I mean really beat. The dash surround was broken and would have needed to be replaced which really killed any chance of putting it back together for me. The carpet was torn and one of the SS side rails along the gunnel was bent. Just unbelievable.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:05 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197
Been on a couple... One particular boat had the freeze plugs popped out of the engine... Fired the boat up on the trailer to check things out and water was pumping in as fast as the impeller could pump it... I'm thinking that a launch and go boater might have sunk that one... lol.. Needless to say we walked away and never looked back.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 197
Clarification... Fired up on the trailer while in the water....