Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 05-30-2018, 09:04 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: changes every month
Listen to HEDO he knows what he's talking about. Great source of info for anyone willing to learn.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:03 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 CSX 220 SWS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedojohn View Post
I just replaced a shaft seal in a Csx 220 while I was doing a new engine install, customer had the same issue, I also greased the rudder port, no more leaks, there is a newer version of the shaft seal out, it will work just fine, also make sure your engine alignment is good to prevent more issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How difficult is it to replace these seals? I found a fair amount of water in the bilge the last few times I took it out. I traced it down today and found there was a steady stream of water coming in from the shaft, nothing to end the day but enough to know I now need it fixed. I have a fair amount of DIY ability but don't want to get halfway through and realize its over my head. I too have a CSX.
Old 06-01-2018, 09:15 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: mc prostar 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker407 View Post
How difficult is it to replace these seals? I found a fair amount of water in the bilge the last few times I took it out. I traced it down today and found there was a steady stream of water coming in from the shaft, nothing to end the day but enough to know I now need it fixed. I have a fair amount of DIY ability but don't want to get halfway through and realize its over my head. I too have a CSX.

Itís not too bad of a job to do provided u have the correct tools, you will need some good wrenches, a 1/2 inch drive ratchet and some large sockets
To remove the nut inside the coupler, u should b able to access the seal there the rear hatch in the floor and a good 1/4 inch drive with a 5/16 socket! You will also need to remove the prop, once u have the shaft out of the coupler and the prop removed u should b able to slide the shaft out , also a good time to look at ur strut bearings, inspect the shaft make sure there are no groves in the shaft if there are some u may b able to sand them out with some emery cloth. If there really bad replace the shaft

Old 06-02-2018, 12:12 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedojohn View Post
Itís not too bad of a job to do provided u have the correct tools, you will need some good wrenches, a 1/2 inch drive ratchet and some large sockets
To remove the nut inside the coupler, u should b able to access the seal there the rear hatch in the floor and a good 1/4 inch drive with a 5/16 socket! You will also need to remove the prop, once u have the shaft out of the coupler and the prop removed u should b able to slide the shaft out , also a good time to look at ur strut bearings, inspect the shaft make sure there are no groves in the shaft if there are some u may b able to sand them out with some emery cloth. If there really bad replace the shaft

I looked again today after doing some research last night, was hoping for and easy fix being able to just tighten the packing nut but I can't seem to find one. Am I missing something?
Old 06-02-2018, 12:13 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
I looked again today after doing some research last night, was hoping for and easy fix being able to just tighten the packing nut but I can't seem to find one. Am I missing something?

Post a pic of what u have plse

Old 06-02-2018, 12:35 PM
TT Regular

The black plastic piece on the left was just spinning around the shaft when I opened it to look
Attached Images

Old 06-02-2018, 12:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
That is a dripless seal.

The loose piece is probably just the rubbery cover. If it is more than that, it is the seal itself and you have found your leak. You need to observe that seal while sitting in the water and idling if that is possible.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:20 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
The black plastic piece on the left was just spinning around the shaft when I opened it to look

So no packing but there , you have a drip less shaft seal, the newest one is Ava on Mc parts depot or skidim I think the new one is rebuild able, unlike the oe one u have, if u have and more questions just let me know and if I can help u in any way Iíll be glad to