Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 11-16-2012, 09:08 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: White/Red 91 PS 190
http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=lFHfk...%3DlFHfkYVRJAc

Team MasterCraft Google Search Engine
Old 11-17-2012, 11:57 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 190, x45
I will second that the boat is over 9000lbs on the trailer. With a full fuel tank (100 gallons) I bet its almost over 9500lbs. I scaled it with an empty tank, no water in the boat, and it was at 9200.
Yes my truck is a liittle light for the job, bit it only has to go a few blocks.
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2012, 07:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
The listing is being caused by the step in the hull if I had to guess. Does the boat come up to speed and then start listing over and not want to accelerate? The step needs to be able to draw in air to ventilate the back side of the step, if that does not happen you will actually start drawing a vacuum and the boat will try to reach equilibrium, thus causing your list.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:36 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIskier View Post
The listing is being caused by the step in the hull if I had to guess. Does the boat come up to speed and then start listing over and not want to accelerate? The step needs to be able to draw in air to ventilate the back side of the step, if that does not happen you will actually start drawing a vacuum and the boat will try to reach equilibrium, thus causing your list.
And, with excessive weight at the rear, the step may be the first outside edge in contact with the water, so it's not going to be stable. Also, it was mentioned that the swim platform was being pressed into the wake hard and that lifts the stern, causing uneven pressure because of the prop wash's bias WRT the rotation and centerline of the prop shaft although using counter-rotating props would minimize this to some degree.

Last edited by JimN; 11-17-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:33 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2006 PS 190 w/ mini tower
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
And, with excessive weight at the rear, the step may be the first outside edge in contact with the water, so it's not going to be stable. Also, it was mentioned that the swim platform was being pressed into the wake hard and that lifts the stern, causing uneven pressure because of the prop wash's bias WRT the rotation and centerline of the prop shaft although using counter-rotating props would minimize this to some degree.
Without seeing pictures that's all just conjecture and its hard to determine how the boat is running. But as I said blocked flow is a common cause of dynamic instability in stepped hull boats especially single stepped boats like the 80.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 mastercraft x80
my wife would kill me if i parked something like that in our driveway
Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2011 mastercraft x80
i think i need to reconfigure my stereo battery bank. i have 8 6volts in the crapper room. probably move them to the bow and put 4 on one side and 4 on the other. other than that it should pretty equal on weight. never thought about the extra 900 pounds of batteries right in the middle of the boat making it crap. i also have my 2 13w6 in a bandpass box on the same side.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
i think i need to reconfigure my stereo battery bank. i have 8 6volts in the crapper room. probably move them to the bow and put 4 on one side and 4 on the other. other than that it should pretty equal on weight. never thought about the extra 900 pounds of batteries right in the middle of the boat making it crap. i also have my 2 13w6 in a bandpass box on the same side.
Why are you using 6V batteries? This is the second time I have seen a reference to using 6v batteries in the last two weeks. Putting them in series works for getting 12VDC but it's really an odd way of getting the best performance. Also, if you didn't update the alternator, you need to.
Old 11-19-2012, 05:06 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200 SS, 2006, 5.7L Crusader
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Why are you using 6V batteries? This is the second time I have seen a reference to using 6v batteries in the last two weeks. Putting them in series works for getting 12VDC but it's really an odd way of getting the best performance. Also, if you didn't update the alternator, you need to.
I think people are using 6 volt golf cart batteries. Supposedly the cheapest route to go per amp hour.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:45 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgardjr1 View Post
I think people are using 6 volt golf cart batteries. Supposedly the cheapest route to go per amp hour.
OK, then add the extra cables, terminals, switches, time to make the setup work, battery cases/terminal covers and the fact that every connection is a likely point of failure- what's the actual benefit, again?