Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2017, 07:51 PM
Whitcra Whitcra is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Boat: Mastercraft 205V 2000 310 TBI
Location: South
Posts: 19
2000 205v ballast install

I've read a lot of the threads on the subject but still looking for solid answer on easy question. I'm installing wake makers ultra system.

What is the best way to route electric wiring from battery to dash? Ok to run from battery box under floor and on top of fuel tank to starboard rear seat and down side to dash?

Is there a more direct way to route?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-21-2017, 08:21 PM
Rossterman's Avatar
Rossterman Rossterman is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: May 2012
Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Location: Westcoast
Posts: 1,067
Factory ballast wiring ties into negative and positive bus bars under the dash without any additional wiring needed for the power feeds. From there they go to the ballast switches/circuit breakers and then back to the three ballast pump locations (drivers side rear seat compartment and back transome on left and roght side under carpeted covers.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2017, 08:28 PM
Whitcra Whitcra is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Boat: Mastercraft 205V 2000 310 TBI
Location: South
Posts: 19
Thank you for reply. This will be a new install and does not have factory ballast. Wake makers is adamant that each pump be connected directly to battery. Are your thoughts that is over the top?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-22-2017, 08:11 AM
mwg's Avatar
mwg mwg is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Location: South
Posts: 465
I agree with Wake Makers.. It's been a while since I did my ballast install, but if you run the numbers you'll see that the current draw on the pumps is too much for the existing wiring. My '01 205V did not have any factory ballast.

When I installed Ballast, I installed a new dedicated circuit breaker panel (Blue Sea ST CLB) under the dash just for the pumps. I ran new cables from the battery block under the observer's seat to the new panel, following the factory wiring from the batteries to the dash. To gain access you will have to remove the access panel in the floor. I then wired each pump in to the new circuit breaker panel.


Good Luck
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 AM
fannin fannin is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Boat: 1997 Maristar 200VRS
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitcra View Post
Thank you for reply. This will be a new install and does not have factory ballast. Wake makers is adamant that each pump be connected directly to battery. Are your thoughts that is over the top?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I did my install last year on my 200 VRS I ordered the pre-made wiring harness from Wake makers for each pump. Included connections to the battery, a inline fuse and plug in connector for the switch. Pretty simple install, just had to find a place to put the extra wiring.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-22-2017, 11:36 AM
curver900 curver900 is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Location: midwest
Posts: 2,155
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg View Post
I agree with Wake Makers.. It's been a while since I did my ballast install, but if you run the numbers you'll see that the current draw on the pumps is too much for the existing wiring. My '01 205V did not have any factory ballast.

When I installed Ballast, I installed a new dedicated circuit breaker panel (Blue Sea ST CLB) under the dash just for the pumps. I ran new cables from the battery block under the observer's seat to the new panel, following the factory wiring from the batteries to the dash. To gain access you will have to remove the access panel in the floor. I then wired each pump in to the new circuit breaker panel.


Good Luck
oh if you get time I bet a picture would be awesome of what you did....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-22-2017, 05:15 PM
mwg's Avatar
mwg mwg is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Location: South
Posts: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
oh if you get time I bet a picture would be awesome of what you did....

Sorry.. I sold the boat just before Christmas.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:08 PM.