Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 02-21-2017, 07:51 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft 205V 2000 310 TBI
2000 205v ballast install

I've read a lot of the threads on the subject but still looking for solid answer on easy question. I'm installing wake makers ultra system.

What is the best way to route electric wiring from battery to dash? Ok to run from battery box under floor and on top of fuel tank to starboard rear seat and down side to dash?

Is there a more direct way to route?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2017, 08:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Factory ballast wiring ties into negative and positive bus bars under the dash without any additional wiring needed for the power feeds. From there they go to the ballast switches/circuit breakers and then back to the three ballast pump locations (drivers side rear seat compartment and back transome on left and roght side under carpeted covers.
Old 02-21-2017, 08:28 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft 205V 2000 310 TBI
Thank you for reply. This will be a new install and does not have factory ballast. Wake makers is adamant that each pump be connected directly to battery. Are your thoughts that is over the top?

Old 02-22-2017, 08:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
I agree with Wake Makers.. It's been a while since I did my ballast install, but if you run the numbers you'll see that the current draw on the pumps is too much for the existing wiring. My '01 205V did not have any factory ballast.

When I installed Ballast, I installed a new dedicated circuit breaker panel (Blue Sea ST CLB) under the dash just for the pumps. I ran new cables from the battery block under the observer's seat to the new panel, following the factory wiring from the batteries to the dash. To gain access you will have to remove the access panel in the floor. I then wired each pump in to the new circuit breaker panel.

Good Luck
Old 02-22-2017, 09:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 Maristar 200VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitcra View Post
Thank you for reply. This will be a new install and does not have factory ballast. Wake makers is adamant that each pump be connected directly to battery. Are your thoughts that is over the top?

When I did my install last year on my 200 VRS I ordered the pre-made wiring harness from Wake makers for each pump. Included connections to the battery, a inline fuse and plug in connector for the switch. Pretty simple install, just had to find a place to put the extra wiring.
Old 02-22-2017, 11:36 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwg View Post
I agree with Wake Makers.. It's been a while since I did my ballast install, but if you run the numbers you'll see that the current draw on the pumps is too much for the existing wiring. My '01 205V did not have any factory ballast.

When I installed Ballast, I installed a new dedicated circuit breaker panel (Blue Sea ST CLB) under the dash just for the pumps. I ran new cables from the battery block under the observer's seat to the new panel, following the factory wiring from the batteries to the dash. To gain access you will have to remove the access panel in the floor. I then wired each pump in to the new circuit breaker panel.

Good Luck
oh if you get time I bet a picture would be awesome of what you did....
Old 02-22-2017, 05:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
oh if you get time I bet a picture would be awesome of what you did....

Sorry.. I sold the boat just before Christmas.