Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 11-17-2017, 01:38 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X-15
Vinyl Wrap Questions

I️ have a 2007 X-15 that has some sun fading on the gel coat and a few of the Mastercraft letters falling off. The sun fading is fairly noticeable as someone not only removed a sticker that had been there for years but, at one point, something was written on the stern with I️ am assuming grease pencil then left to sit and bake!!! I️ am told it will be impossible to fix it without stripping and re-finishing the gel coat completely.

So....I️ am curious, could I️ just have it vinyl wrapped? I’ve heard of some people doing this but am not sure how it would stand up. I️ live in Canada so it gets cold over the winter and hot over the summer. Our season lasts 4 months at best and will be in a lift when not in use. The boat stays in our fresh water lake and will NEVER see salt but, at times, the lake can get a little scummy leaving a yellowish/brown residue.

My questions are...

1. How long to wraps usually last?

2. Are they fairly durable?

3. I️ am assuming you can’t use Oxalic Acid to clean it so what would you use instead?

4. Are they cost effective when compared to a full gel coat re-paint.

I️ LOVE the idea I️ can put custom graphics AND a new virtual paint job but, at the same time, I️ do not want to have to redo it every few years either

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Gsxrgrizz; 11-17-2017 at 02:03 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 Mastercraft X-45
Honestly - i would get a second opinion before going the wrap route, unless you had your heart set on a different look.

Gel Coat is fairly thick and forgiving to work with, so I would assume that a proper buff job could remove the oxidation (possibly wetsanding, depending on the condition). There are plenty of threads on here of people restoring gel coat to its former glory. This can be accomplished with a proper rotary buffer, wool pads, and your compound of choice.

Post some pictures of the boat and the fading and we will be able to give you a better idea of if the gel can be restored.

I personally have no experience with a wrap, but if I were in your shoes, I would try to restore the gel coat before putting a wrap on the boat. Hopefully some other people with wraps can chime in on the cost and durability.

If your boat sits on the a lift and gets beat on by the sun, I would consider a full waterline cover, such as skiboatcovers.com to keep the gel coat from oxidizing.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:35 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X14 w/ LY6
We had a guy at our lake that wrapped his Moomba. It looked great for 5 years and ok for the last 2. I would say if the wrap is good quality and you take care of your boat, you'll get 5 to 7 years.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:43 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for all the advice so far. The condition of the gel coat is actually quite good with the exception of a few small areas and now the lettering. If it was not for the fading behind the letters I️ would just consider removing them all together. As for the fading on the stern, I️ could just put something over it as well. I️ will look into the polishing/wet sanding route as well.

Below is a pic of the boat however it was not taken to show fading and I️ can not get another as its winterized three hours away.

Old 11-17-2017, 02:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: THEN: 1998 PS205, 2002 X9 & 2012 X14v. NOW: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
Wetsanding, compounding, polishing, and waxing will bring it back to life. I have stripped many of 'em down and changed graphics over the years with great success. This forum has several threads on how to do this, or you could search for a good fiberglass guy in your area and let them do it. Your MC dealer will likely have a name or two that you could consider.

"KC"

Cmon...lemme just push one button...
- Center Hill, Norris, & Old Hickory lakes in TN -
Old 11-17-2017, 11:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '06 X1 RTP
Same as others have said, wet sand, compound and buff should bring it back very well. I did a very faded and chalky red gel a few years ago and it looked excellent when I was done. This is something you can do yourself if you're inclined. White should be easy to restore. The gray might be a little more work, but very doable. You'll need some fine grit wet/dry paper, compound, polish, a buffer (not the kind you'd use to apply wax, rather a high speed model), some bonnets, and some elbow grease. All told, probably $300 - 400 dollars worth of supplies including the buffer. It takes a while, but is well worth it.

Personally, I wouldn't do a vinyl wrap on a boat.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:40 PM
TT Regular

Thanks everyone...looks like I️ have a lot more to consider. I️ figured there would be no way to get the sun fading to disappear from the lettering that has been there for 10 years but, if I️ can, that might be a better route