Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 06-05-2018, 04:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeynut99 View Post
i have swallowed the cool-aid need to loose 25# 220 is too heavy to deep start with out killing yourself... working with app fitnesspal love it
Welcome aboard!!!
Old 06-05-2018, 04:25 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Next time you hear from me, I may have seen hammerheads, tiger and oceanic white tip sharks up close and personal.

can't wait BUT getting there will suck and 9 days without waterskiing will suck even though my body is begging for a break.

I'm headed to BFE (yes, egypt literally) tomorrow, I hear the food on the dive boat is sensational.

I'm hoping to behave diet wise, but seems I cant get back to 165 here lately.
Old 06-05-2018, 08:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1993 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeders View Post
Good to hear. It had been about 2 years since my last check-up. Last week i had my blood checked after being on keto around 3-4 weeks and my cholesterol was a little high. I'm planning on keeping an eye on it to see what it does. Adding more fish/poultry starting this week.
Most day to be keto for at least 6 months before bloodwork.
Old 06-06-2018, 01:17 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2002 Prostar 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbryan70 View Post
got my blood work back a couple of weeks ago everything looks great. Been keto 11 months
when you say keto are you 20g a day gross carbs or less

all I'm eating is meat, cheese, lettuce, vegetables, and eggs. A lot of it. And I'm assuming that my cholesterol is thru the roof. It hasn't been 6 months yet, only 3. I'm probably 50g or less of gross carbs a day. I'm not sure waiting another 3 months to get bloodwork is going to do anything, I was planning on getting it within the next couple of weeks. If it doesn't look good then I'm going to go to a nutritionist and do something else

"Excuse me Mr or Mrs Nutritionist, what diets to you have, aside from keto, for an American slob and has no self control?"

Last edited by paintpollz; 06-06-2018 at 01:28 PM.
Old 06-22-2018, 09:57 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 PS 205-351w,285HO
180.0 today, down from 198+ on April 3rd doing the Weight Watcher app and counting points. I can now wear Birdwells again without feeling like jello is oozing over the waistband Other than ab workouts, free skiing as much as possible and some golf (walking) - no gym workouts. Pleased with the results and for me, WW is great b/c it doesn't eliminate any food groups rather it just encourages healthy eating habits and keeps you accountable. I find the Weight Watchers Smart Points are super easy to track, compared to calorie, fat, carb counting. Giving myself 3 months for the next 10 to come off and I will be at my goal.
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Old 06-22-2018, 10:31 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '99 205v
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2jp View Post
180.0 today, down from 198+ on April 3rd doing the Weight Watcher app and counting points. I can now wear Birdwells again without feeling like jello is oozing over the waistband Other than ab workouts, free skiing as much as possible and some golf (walking) - no gym workouts. Pleased with the results and for me, WW is great b/c it doesn't eliminate any food groups rather it just encourages healthy eating habits and keeps you accountable. I find the Weight Watchers Smart Points are super easy to track, compared to calorie, fat, carb counting. Giving myself 3 months for the next 10 to come off and I will be at my goal.
Nice!
Old 06-22-2018, 11:25 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2015 X30, 2008 X15 (sold)
I've gone vegan, minus eggs a few times in 2.5 months. Honestly not the change in weight one would think. I still do eat bread (Italian, so how can one not), in the last 8 days I also added probiotics, digestive enzymes, as well as herbs for a liver cleanse, paired with intermittent fasting. I stop eating at 7pm, don't eat until 11am, in those eight days I'm down a belt hole. It's hard to say, some people go vegan and gain weight, but lose fat, at the begging, you need to drink a lot of water LOL.

So far the whole vegan, minus a few eggs has been very easy; i thought it would be insanely difficult, not at all really. I was looking for a lifestyle change, and keto for me is a diet, not a way of living. What I've learnt from the research I've done is.

1. Most people don't have proper digestion, so get some good probiotics (11 strains, at least 10Billion cultures per capsule), get digestive enzymes, take one with every meal (I don't do snacks and pills, just main meals), you want the main enzymes, but pills that have 6+ are good, must have amalayse, lipase, bromelain.

2. Intermittent fasting is proven in science, try it for two weeks, i'm on day 8, I'm sold on it, something I can live with forever if I must - and if I'm invited for breakfast with a friend/client/etc one day is not going to kill me.

3. Vegan eating (yes minus a few eggs) is simple, it does get repetitive, but so does burgers, fries, fried chicken, etc AKA the typical American diet.

4. Processed foods: don't eat HFCS ever, eat as little processed food as possible - if you are going to eat meat/fish, try not to eat manufactured meat, from large farms, get local, get free range, find a wacky farmer and buy from him.

5. The whole 6 small meals is a joke, calories in, calories out, doesn't matter when you eat them, if you won't believe me check out Joe Donnelly online, the guy is a maniac of muscle, knowledge and humor. https://www.instagram.com/joedonnellyfit/?hl=en - he will tear apart anyone on here with scientific fact about metabolism.

6. Exercise is key, but only 20% of the equation, the food we eat is primarily responsible for weight loss/gain. I work to hit the gym 2-3 times a week, plus squash as many times a week I can find a guy to play. On this note HIIT is better than running on a treadmill for 60 minutes at a particular heart rate. Deadmill sprints suck, but work - High Intensity Interval Training is HIIT, get on the treadmill, DO NOT turn it on, run as fast as you can for 15-30 seconds, rest for the remainder of the minute, repeat 8-10 times, or more, man what a work out. Lift weights, muscle burns fat while we sit, sleep, etc.

That's about it for now - all this to say I am still overweight because I've always tried these diets, vegan eating, with intermittent fasting has become normal and acceptable to me, I do hope for weight loss, but changing my lifestyle is the first goal, weight loss will come - I liken it to business, work hard, results will come. Just my .30 cents LOL
Old 06-22-2018, 06:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1992 PS 205-351w,285HO
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt23 View Post
I've gone vegan, minus eggs a few times in 2.5 months. Honestly not the change in weight one would think. I still do eat bread (Italian, so how can one not), in the last 8 days I also added probiotics, digestive enzymes, as well as herbs for a liver cleanse, paired with intermittent fasting. I stop eating at 7pm, don't eat until 11am, in those eight days I'm down a belt hole. It's hard to say, some people go vegan and gain weight, but lose fat, at the begging, you need to drink a lot of water LOL.

So far the whole vegan, minus a few eggs has been very easy; i thought it would be insanely difficult, not at all really. I was looking for a lifestyle change, and keto for me is a diet, not a way of living. What I've learnt from the research I've done is.

1. Most people don't have proper digestion, so get some good probiotics (11 strains, at least 10Billion cultures per capsule), get digestive enzymes, take one with every meal (I don't do snacks and pills, just main meals), you want the main enzymes, but pills that have 6+ are good, must have amalayse, lipase, bromelain.

2. Intermittent fasting is proven in science, try it for two weeks, i'm on day 8, I'm sold on it, something I can live with forever if I must - and if I'm invited for breakfast with a friend/client/etc one day is not going to kill me.

3. Vegan eating (yes minus a few eggs) is simple, it does get repetitive, but so does burgers, fries, fried chicken, etc AKA the typical American diet.

4. Processed foods: don't eat HFCS ever, eat as little processed food as possible - if you are going to eat meat/fish, try not to eat manufactured meat, from large farms, get local, get free range, find a wacky farmer and buy from him.

5. The whole 6 small meals is a joke, calories in, calories out, doesn't matter when you eat them, if you won't believe me check out Joe Donnelly online, the guy is a maniac of muscle, knowledge and humor. https://www.instagram.com/joedonnellyfit/?hl=en - he will tear apart anyone on here with scientific fact about metabolism.

6. Exercise is key, but only 20% of the equation, the food we eat is primarily responsible for weight loss/gain. I work to hit the gym 2-3 times a week, plus squash as many times a week I can find a guy to play. On this note HIIT is better than running on a treadmill for 60 minutes at a particular heart rate. Deadmill sprints suck, but work - High Intensity Interval Training is HIIT, get on the treadmill, DO NOT turn it on, run as fast as you can for 15-30 seconds, rest for the remainder of the minute, repeat 8-10 times, or more, man what a work out. Lift weights, muscle burns fat while we sit, sleep, etc.

That's about it for now - all this to say I am still overweight because I've always tried these diets, vegan eating, with intermittent fasting has become normal and acceptable to me, I do hope for weight loss, but changing my lifestyle is the first goal, weight loss will come - I liken it to business, work hard, results will come. Just my .30 cents LOL
2 years ago I watched "Forks Over Knives" and adopted a Vegan diet, or least very close. My wife was on board with it as well, and I was also researching diets b/c I have a history of stroke and heart issues in my family. There is a lot of science that supports Vegan and overall good health. In the first year, my weight dropped a little, but not much. However in a year my cholesterol dropped by over 40 points and the ratios of ldl/hdl improved greatly. Over time, our love of seafood brought us to a Vegan/Mediterranean diet, and with Weight Watchers I've found I have to eat eggs b/c its one food that is no points and very filling. I eat very little red meat, and it's been the easiest diet change I've ever made. I would not have thought that before I tried it, but for me it's true. And my cholesterol numbers continue to drop and improve. Good luck with your change!
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Old 08-06-2018, 10:32 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
Hey folks,

Following up with a summary post based on being on a general ketogenic diet for the past six months. I started in the 180-185 pound range and have now settled firmly in the 150-155 range. That's right in line for my height and frame size. It took me about three and a half months to get that weight loss. In the past two and a half months, I've been maintaining in that range.

Some observations:

1. During the past two and a half months (I'll call this the "maintenance zone"), I've gone on a week long family vacation and a week long Boy Scout camp. On each of these, I didn't shy away from any carbs and ate what was available. After each, my weight was up about 5 pounds and then I got back on my normal low carb/low sugar plan. Within a week, the extra 5 pounds were gone and I was back to "normal".

2. I'm not as strict on carbs now as when I was in the active weight losing period. I'll have dinner out with friends/family and have chips/salsa, bread, beer, etc. Not that often, but from time to time. If it does impact weight, that small increase will be quickly removed after a day or two back on the general keto plan. So for me, this is very easy to live with and I'm not starving myself or limiting enjoyment.

3. It seems to me that once I got to the 150-155 range, that was the point at which additional weight loss stopped. I think this is a sweet spot for my body and this is where it wants to be and there is something inhibiting further loss, which is fine with me.

4. I've been doing light weight work and still running. My endurance is now about the same as it was before, if not a little better. I'm also stronger than I was before.

5. I have a physical in November, so I'll be interested to see results of the lipid profile at that point. I'll share that info when available.

Good luck to all!
Old 08-06-2018, 10:43 AM
TT Enthusiast

Similar experience SkiDaddy and similar weight loss.

180-185 down to 155-160 which is what I graduated from high school at and seems to be where my body is telling me I need to be.

Started in January and was 157 this morning. Summer is difficult and I have enjoyed far more carbs but those have been offset I think by a much more active physical activity.

During the weight loss I did notice a lack of energy which has now returned and actually increased. With more skiing this summer I am stronger now than anytime in recent memory.

This is a lifetime, I hope, commitment and am looking forward to maintaining my current weight and spending more time in the gym this fall and winter and less at the diner table.

Congrats SkiDaddy, keep up the good work!