Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2018, 02:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2018 NXT22 Prior 2002 Maristar 230 VRS
Mission's Patent on the Delta

Mission obtained a patent "granting MISSION exclusive rights as the inventor of a removable suction-based wakesurf shaper." I like the Mission stuff I've purchased over the years, but curious about the effect on competitors. Infringement suits are expensive battles to fight and it looks like they now have a leg up.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:37 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
I’m sure Malibu will have something to say

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 09-20-2018, 03:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 98/99 MariStar 230 VRS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post
Iím sure Malibu will have something to say
Why would that be? This is just suck-gates (though the patent is probably more specific).
2015 Ohio State Engineering
---------------------------------------
Old 09-20-2018, 03:22 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmothy07 View Post
Why would that be? This is just suck-gates (though the patent is probably more specific).
Because they patented a wake shaping device lol

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 09-20-2018, 04:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1958 DIY wood ski boat, 2008 X2
Dunno..
First they should update their patent number as it's wrong. Looks like a honest fat finger digit off

Their patent really isn't on the suction device rather looks to be ANY REMOVABLE device on the side of the hull to divert flow. A bit of a stretch.. A bit in the gray.. I'm nothing more than an armchair attorney in this case, but I would bet that Malibu may have something to say as well as wasn't the Ronix 8.3 predating this concept as a "removable" device? As well as some of the other swim platform mounted devices DIY were playing with? I'm surprised this could be classified as original art.

Despite the patent grant, given enough energy I would think it could be argued invalid or non defend-able possibly? Either way it's fun to say you got a grant. Especially one that involves being the first to say you stuck a shower handle on the side of a boat! LOL

In all seriousness though the concept has been great for us older boat owners. Also interesting note that pages from this forum are cited references for the grant.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:25 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2015 Tige RZR
Good reason to not buy any of their stuff!
Old 09-21-2018, 11:23 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboniman View Post
Dunno..
First they should update their patent number as it's wrong. Looks like a honest fat finger digit off

Their patent really isn't on the suction device rather looks to be ANY REMOVABLE device on the side of the hull to divert flow. A bit of a stretch.. A bit in the gray.. I'm nothing more than an armchair attorney in this case, but I would bet that Malibu may have something to say as well as wasn't the Ronix 8.3 predating this concept as a "removable" device? As well as some of the other swim platform mounted devices DIY were playing with? I'm surprised this could be classified as original art.

Despite the patent grant, given enough energy I would think it could be argued invalid or non defend-able possibly? Either way it's fun to say you got a grant. Especially one that involves being the first to say you stuck a shower handle on the side of a boat! LOL

In all seriousness though the concept has been great for us older boat owners. Also interesting note that pages from this forum are cited references for the grant.
Good for them, I was waiting to see how their patent would come about. What will likely happen is each company that ripped off Mission's idea will be served with a cease and desist letter, and if they choose not to cease and desist then Mission will likely pursue legal action against those who refuse to stop selling. What we'll probably see is the likes of things like Nauticurl, Swell, and the others fall off the map, where the big boys such as Ronix will fight the fight and hope they can fend off Mission long enough to strike a licensing deal.

I don't know the specifics of the Malibu patent, but I'm assuming it calls out automatic wave making devices, and likely not so specific on something like this. Also, Malibu probably won't care so much about Mission and damages. When you defend a patent, "damages" are considered the full value of what the product is sold on. So what Malibu has done is wait until all of these other boat companies started selling their surf systems on their boats, because the value of the boat/surf system combo is considered the "damages" that Malibu sues for. They're going to get a much better return on their litigation investment if they're calling damages a 100k dollar boat instead of a 5-10k dollar surf system. That's why you see them hopping for boat company to boat company and striking licensing deals. And that's why you also see the different boat companies spending a whole lotta money defending themselves as well.

Mission's not going to make the kind of money on a suit that Malibu would, just because the value of boats isn't going to be included in"damages" since they're just one off, sub $500 devices that people are buying, but if they have the patent and they have a good lawyer, I'd definitely hope they continue to defend/protect their IP and corner the market they created again. This is great.

Edit - Can you post their patent link?
Edit2 - NM, found it. Looks like they have a design and utility patent. That's a longgg road. Took me a little over 2 years to get issued our utility patent. https://patents.google.com/patent/US...=wake+diverter

Last edited by mzimme; 09-21-2018 at 11:42 AM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:57 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Oh, here's Malibu's patent for reference. Seems it involves a controller of some type.

https://patents.google.com/patent/US...r+a+watercraft
Old 09-21-2018, 03:57 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: '04 X9
if you run the google patent search on wake shape or wake shaper, there are tons of results, from a what youd expect to be the usual suspects - mastercraft, malibu, chaparral, mb sports, and on and on.

also for reading a patent just skip straight to the "claims" section. the rest is helpful in describing how it works, but the claims are the only enforceable part.
and my experience with patents is that if someone patents a physical device, and generally mentions the controls in the description but doesnt make claims on the controls, you can still patent controls of that (or a similar) device.
it looks like missions is specifically for one with suction cups.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzimme View Post
What we'll probably see is the likes of things like Nauticurl, Swell, and the others fall off the map...
WakeMate posted on FaceBook a few hours ago that their website and sales are paused for the time being.