Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 04-21-2018, 09:02 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2005 Mastercraft x10
Prop Damage effects

Hello,

I have a 2005 x10 and it is new to me as of January. i took the boat out for the second time today (been a month since I was able to take it out) and had a buddy who i thought knew what he was doing because he had helped me out with my previous boat but i was wrong. long story short he turned around right at the ramp where i put the boat in and scraped the ramp with the prop. i was parking the truck and got back to the boat, saw he was turned around and i asked if he scraped and he said if he did it didn't really do anything. i drove the boat for probably a total of 30 minutes got off the lake and got home looked at the prop and it looked like the picture below.

we did a lot of sitting and i noticed the auto pump kept pumping water out from time to time and thought something might be wrong but it was a new boat so still not sure what all to expect. now i realize the water is probably coming in from the prop shaft seal? i was going to look more into this tonight. i just wanted to know what all issues i can expect due to the vibrations from the messed up prop. from driving the boat i didn't feel lots of vibration but there had to be some vibration on the shaft. thanks for all your input, i did shed a tear when i saw this.
Attached Images

Old 04-21-2018, 09:03 PM
TT Newbie

i forgot to include this is a V-drive boat.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:15 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Sorry to see that. Looks like it made contact with the prop guard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $289 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 04-21-2018, 11:42 PM
TT Newbie

yeah the guy i bought the boat from had a '13 trailer for an 05 X10, its too close for comfort but i'm going to fix the trailer soon.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:51 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft 197 Pro Tournament Team
Send a message via Yahoo to Fullpass
Sh$t happens...no one got hurt, and can be the down side of boating, Luckily more good times ahead than bad, put in the past, just one of those stories to talk about later.

Also, maybe someone here on the TT forum has one for less than the cost of a repair..could happen, would start asking and look for a new condition/used prop maybe on eBay also.

And so Sh$t doesn't happen again, put A COTTER PIN on the drive shaft, to help prevent the jam nut from completely backing off and loosing the prop, your budding might have prevented you from being stranded in the middle of the lake.

Water in the bilge, shaft log packing, few drips a minute is normal, steady stream of water leaking into the boat indicates a problem. Locate ~ Let us know how much water is leaking N. Can go from there. People here on TT more than willing to help out.

More than likely to do nothing, will cause more damage to the drive line, strut bushing wear, drive shaft wear, metal fatigue shaft failure, drive line bearings and seals, intrusive water bearing damage, the list goes on.

So lets just say, need to get the prop fixed or replaced, stop any water from coming in the boat besides the few drips a minute.

You've heard this "BOAT>>> Bust out another Thousand" is so true. Welcome to the Club double edge sword.
Old 04-22-2018, 12:38 PM
TT Newbie

so last night at the house i put the plugs in and ran some water from the hose to the bilge and didn't see any water leaking below the boat and the boat was on level ground. the auto pump did pump the water out so possibly no leak from drive shaft area just water in the boat from engine or folks getting in and out of the boat being wet??
Old 04-22-2018, 12:46 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 93 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by redac7 View Post
so last night at the house i put the plugs in and ran some water from the hose to the bilge and didn't see any water leaking below the boat and the boat was on level ground. the auto pump did pump the water out so possibly no leak from drive shaft area just water in the boat from engine or folks getting in and out of the boat being wet??
Replace the packing. Preventative maintenance.

Typically water will not leak out of the boat relative to your method.

Nice prop

John 3:16-18
Old 04-22-2018, 04:14 PM
TT Newbie

ok thanks folks for the help. today i took the boat up to the boat ramp because i wanted to check out the ballast tanks and make sure everything was working properly. i put the boat in the water but left the boat on the trailer the whole time. i ran the boat on the trailer for about 30 minutes while i messed around with the ballast and checked out a few other things and when i got the boat out of the water there was enough water in the bilge to trigger the auto pump when i got to level ground. i couldn't determine where water was leaking in but since it is a v-drive and the boat is new to me i'm still trying to figure out how to see the hard to get to spots. there are 900 hours on the engine so there are drips but i haven't traced them down yet and nothing seems to be dripping heavily. i'm assuming the water in the bilge still could be a result from running the boat yesterday on the messed up prop or does this sound like it could be something else?
Old 04-22-2018, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2012 X35 6.0 Ilmor
Quote:
Originally Posted by redac7 View Post
Hello,

I have a 2005 x10 and it is new to me as of January. i took the boat out for the second time today (been a month since I was able to take it out) and had a buddy who i thought knew what he was doing because he had helped me out with my previous boat but i was wrong. long story short he turned around right at the ramp where i put the boat in and scraped the ramp with the prop. i was parking the truck and got back to the boat, saw he was turned around and i asked if he scraped and he said if he did it didn't really do anything. i drove the boat for probably a total of 30 minutes got off the lake and got home looked at the prop and it looked like the picture below.

we did a lot of sitting and i noticed the auto pump kept pumping water out from time to time and thought something might be wrong but it was a new boat so still not sure what all to expect. now i realize the water is probably coming in from the prop shaft seal? i was going to look more into this tonight. i just wanted to know what all issues i can expect due to the vibrations from the messed up prop. from driving the boat i didn't feel lots of vibration but there had to be some vibration on the shaft. thanks for all your input, i did shed a tear when i saw this.

Surprised you didnít feel significant vibration with that prop.

I send mine to Nettle props for repair-great job with reasonable price and good turn around time and customer service. They are out of Austin, TX.
I have spent years looking for a good prop shop.
Old 04-22-2018, 05:28 PM
TT Newbie

i'm surprised as well at the lack of vibration but i'm not one to speed around on the lake. when i drove yesterday i went max ~20mph. i've used murphys prop shop before, they are in norfolk va.

Tags
prop, propeller, shaft