Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 07-13-2018, 02:30 PM
caffn8r's Avatar
caffn8r caffn8r is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Boat: '87 PS 190
Location: southeast
Posts: 22
As I have been working my way through the restoration of my 87 PS190, I discovered that I need to replace the metal fuel fill deck fitting. I have read on several sites that it must have a bond wire to prevent spark discharge while fueling. My boat did not have one. Im assuming that it would not hurt to put one on it, however, my question is this; Where does it attach to and how do I complete the ground? It appears to me that I could clamp it between the rubber hose and terminate it at the fuel sender ground wire. Is this acceptable? What gauge wire is recommended? Thank you for any answers or suggestions! I have also posted this in the electrical forum. Sorry if anyone answers twice.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 07-13-2018, 08:10 PM
caffn8r's Avatar
caffn8r caffn8r is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Boat: '87 PS 190
Location: southeast
Posts: 22
If there was such a thing as a boat proctologist, I would be overqualified. I have been in the rear end of this boat for waaaaay too long! Today I replaced the rear tie down point hardware. The plates on the inside of the transom looked like they were recovered from the Titanic. As soon as I touched them, they fell apart. I replaced them with 2x4 3/8 stainless stock and new stainless u-bolts. In the pictures you can see where the rust ran down the outside of the boat, as well as just how severely oxidized the gelcoat is. I also polished the rudder shaft in preparation for its installation tomorrow. These little things take so much time, but it will be worth it in the long run.
Name:  59E19E8B-C302-40AB-A6A6-533E928096E3.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  114.4 KB

Name:  F21AD598-CB25-4F4D-9D9D-09F04B62632C.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  126.2 KB

Name:  27523441-D43B-445F-828E-9B59B1BEFC2D.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  105.5 KB

Name:  2D6579C6-E26B-4DF4-881F-CC45AE390ADB.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  149.8 KB

Name:  9E97C56F-70FC-4FAF-BB8F-8DD5A8B9496C.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  74.8 KB
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:36 AM
caffn8r's Avatar
caffn8r caffn8r is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Boat: '87 PS 190
Location: southeast
Posts: 22
Well, it finally turned into sunny central Florida again! Just have our normal mid afternoon shower to dodge now, so I have been hammering away at the boat and got quite a bit of stuff done. I will post pics later today, so I will just give a rundown on how things have gone, so far. The old girl was getting pretty grungy from me climbing in and out of her with greasy, rusty hands so I gave her a thorough pressure washing from stem to stern, then made the cabin boy give her a good scrub down with some Simple Green. My first mate thought I'd bought a new boat! LOL! I took this time to note any of the "little" things that needed fixing. I glued down a spot or two of loose carpet in the rear, tied up some wiring, scrubbed at some rust stains, yada yada. MCOCD stuff!
The good news is that I am putting more stuff ON than I am taking stuff OFF!
I have finally started tackling the Beast in the middle. I'm a motor guy, usually I go there first. With this project, I realized early on that I could have the best motor in the world, but all the stuff around it was going to have to be fixed first, so I have been kind of tiptoeing around it and making mental notes of what would eventually need to be done. I have my fingers crossed that the heart of the Beast is good. The motor turns over by hand, so I am going forward on the premise that it is mechanically sound internally. Fingers are crossed! So far, I have pulled off the pulleys and repainted them, replaced the fuel pump with a new Carter M6696, bent a new line from the pump to the carb, cleaned, painted and installed the coil bracket with a new epoxy filled Flame Thrower II coil. I pulled the raw water pump off, gave it a good scrubbing, stuffed a new impeller in it and reinstalled it with the freshly painted bracket and bolts. I am a lunatic for chasing threads, so I have spent some very satisfying time with my tap and die set! The first mate is getting used to the fun little silver smears of anti-seize that she finds on me! LOL. Anyhow, I'm getting closer and closer to the fire up stage. My new steering system came in yesterday, so, today I will try to get that installed so I can put the fuel tank back in and wrap up the work on the aft end. After that it will be time to reinstall the transmission, and the plumbing. Won't be long now!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 07-17-2018, 06:42 AM
caffn8r's Avatar
caffn8r caffn8r is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Boat: '87 PS 190
Location: southeast
Posts: 22
Name:  B5212780-7C77-47A3-9DD7-F83103943DE8.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  141.5 KB

Name:  7AD94929-91FA-4989-AFEC-E139811FAD42.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  147.9 KB

Name:  716A6F3D-5D8C-4761-BE6B-6FED37DCC764.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  150.4 KB
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:54 AM.


2018