Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 03-10-2014, 11:55 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristarboarder View Post
Awesome! Thanks JRW! I know, I just got my star in Oct, so I pulled the starboard bow cushion out yesterday to take a look and there is not much room...I like your design, looks like you got as much as you could for box size squeezed in there. Look forward to seeing your finished project!
I think I may have been able to make the box an inch or two wider, but that's about it.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:18 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 190, 1991, Indmar 351
1. Pulled risers and exhaust manifolds. Miracle of miracles, nothing terrible happened. All 8 riser bolts, and all 8 manifold bolts came out easily after hitting them with penetrating oil for a few days. I did have to cut off a 5/16" allen wrench to get to the back riser bolts. Wish I would have just cut the allen wrench right off the bat instead of wasting time, driving around trying to find a tool I could use.

2. Internals of the manifolds soaked in evapo rust, and rinsed. Risers are next. Then some external work to remove rust on manifolds, and some touch up paint.

3. Used a "back tap" to chase the threads on a spark plug that I had cross threaded when changing plugs while winterizing. This felt like another miracle, because it went so perfectly smoothly. Now that "thing" that has been worrying me since about September is off the list.

4. The only thing that didn't go perfectly is that I heard a "crack" while trying to get one riser loose from the muffler. Need to chase that down and see if I injured my muffler....
Old 03-10-2014, 01:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2005 x-10
I put the plugs back in the boat, getting it ready to take to the lake in a couple weeks. The water only has to rise another 1.5' before I can safely put my boat in. My the end of March, I should be there and then some. I still have not been able to get all the way to the other side of the boat to finish the wetsanding, but I figure I will do that once I have it out at the lake. I was also able to get my paddle wheel assembly replaced, so now I have a working speedo/PP. I can't wait to try that out as it has not worked since I installed it last year. Plus the new steering cable should make it feel like a new boat. Come on Summer time!
Old 03-10-2014, 04:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197
What Work did you do on your Mastercraft Today?

Not technically today, but Saturday a.m. did the Clarion MW1 remote install on the transom. Despite using a brand new hole saw and running through the gelcoat in reverse, I still managed a very small chip when I let the saw "wander" off perpendicular axis, so that's a cautionary note to TT. I have some gelcoat to repair elsewhere so this is just another for the list. At any rate, love the install location and even got to wet test it on Saturday.

And while we had the boat off the trailer, installed the new Ramp n Clamp. Nice build quality and a two minute swap out for the Boat Buddy.

And yeah, I know my rub rail looks like s#%*--that's a fall project. But at least the hull is freshly polished and waxed.

Last edited by Kweisner; 03-10-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:12 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kweisner View Post
Not technically today, but Saturday a.m. did the Clarion MW1 remote install on the transom. Despite using a brand new hole saw and running through the gelcoat in reverse, I still managed a very small chip when I let the saw "wander" off perpendicular axis, so that's a cautionary note to TT. I have some gelcoat to repair elsewhere so this is just another for the list. At any rate, love the install location and even got to wet test it on Saturday.

And while we had the boat off the trailer, installed the new Ramp n Clamp. Nice build quality and a two minute swap out for the Boat Buddy.

And yeah, I know my rub rail looks like s#%*--that's a fall project. But at least the hull is freshly polished and waxed.
Nice work. Great time to have a removable platform.

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $325 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS $495 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]
Old 03-10-2014, 08:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
Thanks for the pics.thinking of installing the transom remote also.

Quote:

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 03-10-2014, 09:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO-TALL View Post
It keeps your boat cleaner. Less in and out of boat.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2014, 09:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOO-TALL View Post

You're welcome! Everything I know or have done in terms of boat mods, I learned here.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:04 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
It keeps your boat cleaner. Less in and out of boat.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Great point--had not considerd that benefit. But think I should have cut another hole with a tiny refrigerator door to supply full beers out to the swim deck.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:35 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1991 BF200 yamaha Pro V 200
Quote:
Great point--had not considerd that benefit. But think I should have cut another hole with a tiny refrigerator door to supply full beers out to the swim deck.
Ill second that but i do have to admit the rear ski gear locker in the outboard is huge Im 6'4 and 135 kgs and can fit in it. Now that would be a good size ESKY!!!!!!!