Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 09-28-2018, 02:05 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
One last thought on this from me.....
When you pulled the throttle back was the barefooter still holding on to the line and did he/she let go before the boat came off plane? Where was the rope attached?

I ask these questions because in theory, a barefooter that hangs onto the line could act as a giant anchor point to slow the boat faster than it would normally. I am not an expert on engineering of the laws of physics but I have stayed in a few Holiday Inn Expresse's and would think that pending the attachment point of the rope and when the footer released, it could cause the nose to dive, especially if tied up behind the engine box (doubtful at the pylon or on tower but who am I to say).
Old 09-28-2018, 02:52 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkski View Post
One last thought on this from me.....
When you pulled the throttle back was the barefooter still holding on to the line and did he/she let go before the boat came off plane? Where was the rope attached?

I ask these questions because in theory, a barefooter that hangs onto the line could act as a giant anchor point to slow the boat faster than it would normally. I am not an expert on engineering of the laws of physics but I have stayed in a few Holiday Inn Expresse's and would think that pending the attachment point of the rope and when the footer released, it could cause the nose to dive, especially if tied up behind the engine box (doubtful at the pylon or on tower but who am I to say).
Wouldn't that pull the bow up?

Sent from my SM-G920R6 using Tapatalk

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 09-28-2018, 03:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 40th Anniv. Prostar 197 MCX and Powerslot
Not sure....again not an engineer by any stretch but I would think the farther back the attachment point of the rope is from the bow, the more chance of it affecting the nose if someone held on during boat slowing. If attached to the rear tow eye for example, I think it could potentially cause the issue as the footer would act as an anchor on the back of the boat......pulling from the tower or pylon would likely not cause this so it would have to be from behind the motor box.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox197 View Post
and straightens up and dumps from full throttle to neutral
Not neutral. No trained or rated driver does that. You power down to IDLE.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2018, 04:38 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Further back has less to do than how high up above the thrust. Prop is pushing from below the water, drag on any point above the prop has a net effect of pulling the bow up for instance an extended pylon would want to raise the bow given all other forces are exactly the same.

If you take the boat empty sitting in the water at rest that is where the boat wants to end up. So between on plane and rest it is mostly rate dependent, the more rapidly the bow is dropping the deeper it will go before it comes back up to the static resting point. This is entirely related to the rate at which the hull is slowing combined with weight in bow and countered by overall weight distribution in the hull.

You also have to consider the impact of things like fuel level, water in the bilge, how people are sitting (IE are the bow seated persons sitting as far forwards as possible looking backwards to watch the skier or are they seated butt to the window with their feet in the bow) water in the bilge will roll forwards and further drop the bow. A full fuel tank will keep the back of the boat down more so than an empty one which impacts the static balance quite a lot.

All this is to say, we know that if you want a boat to carry 4 adults in the bow cruising down the lake what you want is a 24' open bow runabout!