Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2016, 04:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
No blaming the tire on this one. Self inflicted if the tire has been sitting in sun light for 8 years.
Old 09-26-2016, 04:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 205V
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
No blaming the tire on this one. Self inflicted if the tire has been sitting in sun light for 8 years.
Yeah, I'm not totally blaming the tire but I've never actually seen this before. My boat sits in a covered area on the side of the house so it get very little, if any, direct sunlight on that area where the spare is. Just seemed a little weird to me, but understandable I guess.
Old 09-26-2016, 07:03 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 mastercraft CSX, mcx350.
Goodyear Marathon exploded...

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-Dog View Post
I forgot to look at the code but I think it's around 7-8 years old. I was going to replace it next year, but now I'm thinking maybe a little earlier. I replace all four tires on the trailer with Maxxis ones a couple of years ago...I'll probably just stick with the same brand. Looking back I guess I should have replaced the spare at the same time.

The tire dealer told me not to buy those again, they dry rot fast. Replaced with the maxxis tire brand. Goodyears don't last. Blew three Goodyears in the four years I had my boat cause they dry rot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-28-2016, 02:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC,197,2004,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
It's easy to economize on the spare tire, especially on a tandem axle trailer. It usually seems like s good idea until you need it in the road. Good thing you didn't try to run that.
Is it a good idea to rotate trailer tires and get the spare in the rotation?
Old 09-28-2016, 02:16 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by stig View Post
Is it a good idea to rotate trailer tires and get the spare in the rotation?
great idea.. I should have done this..
Old 09-28-2016, 02:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X-Star sold. In the market.
I had a brand new spare tire ride around in my work cars trunk for about 10 years. I always made sure the pressure was right. It made it about 2 days when I needed it and looked very similar to this when it came apart. Even without sunlight!
Old 09-28-2016, 03:08 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1992 ProStar 205, 1991 Ski Pro
Does that mean the OEM Firestone spare tire for my 2002 Tahoe is no good, even though it has never touched the ground or seen the light of day?
Old 09-28-2016, 03:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2017 X10
Location: Center Hill Lake, Old Hickory, and Norris Lakes in TN
Do you guys deflate the tires and put it up on blocks in the winter? Is there any real merit to this? Just curious.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:33 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Malibu 23 LSV, 1990 Prostar 190
I'm just such a skeptic when it comes to trailer tires anymore. I feel that no matter what you do they just won't last long and I tow the boat quite a bit but that's still not nearly as much as say a commercial trailer gets towed every day.

I don't rotate them, I just check the pressure before any big trip and keep them new. 4-5 years from the mfg date and I change them no matter what.

I've heard bad things about every brand and the last guy I bought tires from literally had the professional opinion "they all suck" After years of trailering I'm convinced that the age is directly correlated to the reliability and nothing else really matters. I don't bother jacking them up in the winter but I do use indoor winter storage.
I don't rotate them.

Age will matter on car tires too but for me they've always been much more reliable. All rubber eventually breaks down. Usually I just rotate the best old tire in as the spare to make sure the spare never gets too old. I can't imagine the original spare on a 2002 Tahoe is very strong anymore.

Peter, you're in the biz. What's your opinion? How do you take care of your trailers?
Old 09-28-2016, 05:28 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
I use trailer tires for five seasons only. Rotating the spare in is good if you trailer a lot and actually use up your tread. Jacking up the trailer is only an advantage to take the weight off the springs and make them last longer, it doesn't help radials. My trailers sit outside year round and I have no problems. Best thing you can do is make sure the tires are at max pressure. For what it's worth, I have been selling Kenda Loadstars here since 2008 and have had one reported tire failure, which was replaced by Kenda promptly and at n/c. Even the tires I sent to Dubai are still holding up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$125 LED TRAILER LIGHT PACKAGE - FREE SHIPPING
REBUILDING HOLLEY MARINE CARBS - $289 DELIVERED
REBUILT COMPLETE MARINE HOLLEY 4160 CARBS
FOR 302, 351 & 454 STARTING AT $450 DELIVERED
Email - [email protected]