Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 01-13-2016, 12:45 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
If the circulation pump is not leaking or making noise it is 99% chance ok. It would be unlikely for there to be an issue with the circulation pump impeller and no other external issues with the circ pump
Old 01-13-2016, 04:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 99 Prostar 205v 330 LTR
Maybe worth checking the belt tensioner, I had an issue last summer on holiday with the temp jumping up and down more than the usual indication of the thermostat opening and closing. The tensioner was smooth in most of its travel but not all. I replaced the tensioner and the issue was resolved although I'm still replacing the circulation pump this winter just as a precaution as I suspect it is the original and now has 500 hrs on it.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:32 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, prostar 2001 205v
all I can think of is a higher temp tstat? otherwise I have no idea... doubtful a circulation pump...
Old 01-13-2016, 12:38 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: mastercraft, X-30, 2004, MCX.
Did you ever shred an impeller and suck it all inside the cooling jacket?? I never had an issue but I did find impeller rubber at the freeze plug at the end of a season after am impeller blew apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
Myself I'll live on the edge and surf without a helmet.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:05 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 99 prostar 205 LTR
I doubt it's the circulation pump myself but I'm gonna throw one on it just for kicks, I will keep the original for a spare.
I'm kinda on the fence about going to a higher temp stat, I would like to keep it at 160. I have thought about trying to find another brand though.

G-wake sparked a thought with the belt tensioner, I remember last summer when pulling the plug after loading the boat the tensioner was alot hotter than I thought it should be. It actually blistered the inside of my arm. Never thought much about it after that because I'm not having any issues with the belt. Don't know how that could cause my issue and not an overheat or slipping belt but what the hell, I'll look into that as well.
Thanks again guys, I hope everyone's 2016 is off to a good start!!!

Almost forgot, that's a no on the impeller. Haven't had one come apart since I've owned the boat. I have had all of the hoses off and have looked into every orfice and have and have not seen any debris.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Mastercraft Prostar 205V
I had an issue last year with the temp never going over 120. I replace the stat with a new one (from the dealer) and I still had the same problem. Figured it must be the temp sender...nope, still the same problem. I decided to try a different stat from skidim and blammo...everything worked. I was back at a steady 160. I was racking my brain for weeks assuming the new stat wasn't the problem. Maybe you got double the bad luck.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:17 AM
MC Fanatic

I'm hoping that's the case, as long as the temp is constantly rising and falling I can't seem to take my eyes off the gauge. It's driving me nuts.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:26 AM
MC Fanatic

So I'm still chasing this bug. I haven't replaced the cir. pump yet, however I have removed and inspected all of the hoses and passages for blockages again. Everything is clean as a whistle and the raw water pump is new. I did however slightly enlarge the bypass hole in the t-stat. The only results I see have been a small decrease in the time it takes for the engine to get up to 160 which makes perfect sense since its allowing more water to bypass the t-stat. Temp still swings though.
I'll be ordering two new stats and a circ. pump today. Should know something this weekend if it doesn't rain here.
Old 04-09-2016, 06:19 PM
MC Fanatic

The new circulation pump fixed it. Temp is steady now, thanks for the suggestions.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:09 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MC 1999 Maristar 230 sport
How did the old circ. pump look? Pics? Was the circ. pump impeller stainless or just rusted steel? Maybe previous owner put in an automotive brand. Mine is still original pump and I have noticed engine is running a bit hotter than normal. Just touching the 180 mark at times. New impeller in raw pump, new 160 tstat, and clear tranny cooler. Also new hose from inlet to raw pump old hose wasn't wire reinforced.