Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 08-15-2018, 10:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1980 Glastron Carlson CVX-16 Deluxe w 1981 Evinrude 140
I think you have it right about the way people look at payments. I've done the same as you and have only had car payments one time in the late 70's. Never wanted to do it again, it was like millstone around the neck.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: None Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by jss101 View Post
I think what's happened is that people have decided it's normal to have a monthly car payment. They have a loan, so... they only think about how much it is per month. If you expect to always have a monthly payment, it's easy to rationalize buying whatever. I've seen people trade in a vehicle with a balance due, get about the same monthly payment, and get a new vehicle. Doesn't occur to them that they've started a five year clock of payments over again!

Frankly, I've always paid cash for my boats and cars. Pay it once, and done. I think I'm in the minority, though. I think most expect to have a loan, and just look at how much per month.
One of the many things keeping me from getting a boat/new car

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandbird View Post
Floating computer systems designed to come to the brink of intentionally sinking are probably going to have some issues.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:54 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2016 X30, 85 S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by LABlue View Post
To answer your question... ya they sell those for crazy prices. I think the pretty much start at $70k and quickly go up. They sell over msrp, so theres obviously a market for them. They are pretty sweet though.
They top out at 70k.

Paying cash for things these days at my age is unreasonable. Id have my $800 ranger as my only vehicle and Id have to live in the ghetto. No thanks.

LONE STAR MASTERBASH 2018!!!!!!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...30#post1417530

2016 X30-Wetsounds galore
2017 Misty Harbor Tri-Toon
1985 S&S- Gone but never forgotten
Old 08-15-2018, 11:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadster02 View Post
Just appeared to be regular, no special packages stated. What would bring the price up 20 grand? Gold rims??
I checked pretty much everything to get to that price. Other than things that conflicted and werent allowed.

802a luxury package adds almost $10k. There are tons of options in here including navigation, heated/cooled seats, 360 camera, etc.

I added graphics, carbon fiber package, special interior trim, technology package (lane sensors, speed adaptive cruise, auto wipers and highbeams), a spray in bed liner, bed cover, etc.

Its as easy to add $20k to this truck as it is to add $60k to an XStar.
Old 08-16-2018, 02:16 AM

Boat: XT22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC25 View Post

Paying cash for things these days at my age is unreasonable. Id have my $800 ranger as my only vehicle and Id have to live in the ghetto. No thanks.
I'm way older than you. Ahem.... But if I didn't have payments, I wouldn't have ever had a new MC, a new Avalanche/ Silverado/ Sierra, or house. And I built my first house at 25.
However, I've always had plenty of equity in all of them. If I waited until I had the cash for these things, time would pass me by. I'm fine with loans and a mortgage. And sure, I could have foregone the newer MC's from '07 - now. But the times I've shared on my boats over these years would never have happened on my old tristar and prostar. Those boats just couldn't handle the people we've boated with or the lakes we've been to. To each their own. Everybody has to judge what is important to them. And remember not to judge others. I don't mean you, Aric. If I had waited and saved cash for the toys I've enjoyed so much, my ex-wife would never have enjoyed them. She passed away tragically a few years ago. (albeit after we divorced) The times from '06 - '10 were so rewarding. Everybody has to decide what works for them. When I hear people giving all the unsolicited life and financial advice here, they really need to figure out whether anyone asked their advice. Often people do, but often they don't.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:06 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft Pro V 205
Send a message via AIM to jss101
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
I'm way older than you. Ahem.... But if I didn't have payments, I wouldn't have ever had a new MC, a new Avalanche/ Silverado/ Sierra, or house. And I built my first house at 25.
However, I've always had plenty of equity in all of them. If I waited until I had the cash for these things, time would pass me by. I'm fine with loans and a mortgage. And sure, I could have foregone the newer MC's from '07 - now. But the times I've shared on my boats over these years would never have happened on my old tristar and prostar. Those boats just couldn't handle the people we've boated with or the lakes we've been to. To each their own. Everybody has to judge what is important to them. And remember not to judge others. I don't mean you, Aric. If I had waited and saved cash for the toys I've enjoyed so much, my ex-wife would never have enjoyed them. She passed away tragically a few years ago. (albeit after we divorced) The times from '06 - '10 were so rewarding. Everybody has to decide what works for them. When I hear people giving all the unsolicited life and financial advice here, they really need to figure out whether anyone asked their advice. Often people do, but often they don't.
Hey, I didn't mean to offend anyone! What you said is quite rational. I, too, have a mortgage. Could never have bought my house without one. I'd say there's folks that are responsible with credit, and others who let it get out of control. I admire people who manage their finances well, and live within their means. I've paid cash for my boats and cars, but... I've always bought used and done some fix'er uppers.

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to judge...