Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 06-20-2011, 03:53 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X45 LQ9
Ballest Pump Operation

I'd like to begin using my stock ballest. Is there a recommended process for filling and emptying the tanks. For example: I know there are 3 controls for 3 tanks. Can I fill all 3 at the same time? Should I leave the switches in the fill position until the pump stops? I've seen the engin should be running at about 1500 rpm. Should the boat be moving, or not. When emptying, will the water come out through vents in the side of the boat, or below the water line? Again, drain all 3 at once or one at a time. And should the boat be moving during the drain down. Mastercraft Manual has very little about the operation. Thought member experience would be more useful. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:53 PM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by emnesto View Post
I'd like to begin using my stock ballest. Is there a recommended process for filling and emptying the tanks. For example: I know there are 3 controls for 3 tanks. Can I fill all 3 at the same time? Should I leave the switches in the fill position until the pump stops? I've seen the engin should be running at about 1500 rpm. Should the boat be moving, or not. When emptying, will the water come out through vents in the side of the boat, or below the water line? Again, drain all 3 at once or one at a time. And should the boat be moving during the drain down. Mastercraft Manual has very little about the operation. Thought member experience would be more useful. Thanks.
I think the all the 06s came with the larger mainfold so you should be able to fill them all at the same time.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:22 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Nautique
All at once is fine. I like filling while moving to the riding spot.........others like sitting and filling while they stretch before the set...........Just keep the boat running to maximize the "juice".

2000 Mastercraft Xstar
2004,2005 Ski Centurion Avalanche C4
2003, Ski Centurion Cyclone
99,2000,2001, 2002 Ski Centurion Elite V/Hurricane/lightning
88 2001 Nautique
Old 06-22-2011, 10:16 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I typically fill one at a time, but it seems to take forever. I looked at the manifold and it looks like a 1" hose from the thru hull that gets split into 3 3/4" hoses that run to the pumps. I am planning to add a couple more thru hull intakes this winter, so each pump has its own water source. I'm no fluid engineer, but it seems like that 1" can almost supply enough water for 2 pumps running simultaneously, but definitely not for all 3.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:03 AM

Boat: Passively looking for a CSX 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
I typically fill one at a time, but it seems to take forever. I looked at the manifold and it looks like a 1" hose from the thru hull that gets split into 3 3/4" hoses that run to the pumps. I am planning to add a couple more thru hull intakes this winter, so each pump has its own water source. I'm no fluid engineer, but it seems like that 1" can almost supply enough water for 2 pumps running simultaneously, but definitely not for all 3.
What year is your boat? On my 06 I have at least a 2.5 inch and could be a 3 inch thru hull with 1 inch feeder lines.

"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:10 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
I fill all 3 at the same time. But i empty the front 1st and the back last because the front will drain much quick and then the pump will run dry and risk dying.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Mastercraft 2008 X-1
I've got a 2008 X-1. I fill the tanks till water comes out the side of the boat. But when draining, is there some way to know when the tanks are empty?
Old 06-22-2011, 11:16 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft Prostar 205
when you drain water will come out of the sides of the boat, just watch till it starts the sputter and stop then turn the pumps off...
Old 06-22-2011, 11:25 AM
MC Addict

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarabaghi View Post
when you drain water will come out of the sides of the boat, just watch till it starts the sputter and stop then turn the pumps off...
not on 07 and newer. they drain out of the bottom of the hull.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:26 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by agarabaghi View Post
I dunno about the 08 X1's, but the 07-up I think newer hull styles drain out the bottom of the boat, so you have to rely on the guage or listen carefully to the pumps to know when the tanks are empty. Bad idea IMO, let the water come out the side so thre's an easy visual when they're drained or the pump quits working.
If I had a newer boat, I'd try to switch the empty port to above waterline or put a manual drain that I could open up once the boat is on the trailer.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN

Tags
ballest, operation, pump