Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:28 AM
JasterCraft's Avatar
JasterCraft JasterCraft is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: 2006 X-2 (my 7th MC)
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,267
Possible move to KC area

My wife and I are possibly/probably moving to Kansas City in the next couple of months. We are pretty certain that we want to live at Raintree Lake in Lee's Summit.

Does anyone have knowledge/thoughts/opinions on this area? What is a realistic ski season (how many months)? Also who are the dealerships that best service inboards there? I think the closest MC dealer is in Lake of the Ozarks.

Thanks!
__________________
Troy
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:35 AM
mzimme's Avatar
mzimme mzimme is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 5,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdjaster View Post
My wife and I are possibly/probably moving to Kansas City in the next couple of months. We are pretty certain that we want to live at Raintree Lake in Lee's Summit.

Does anyone have knowledge/thoughts/opinions on this area? What is a realistic ski season (how many months)? Also who are the dealerships that best service inboards there? I think the closest MC dealer is in Lake of the Ozarks.

Thanks!
Not sure on the dealership side of things, as I haven't had to service mine at a dealer, however, I do know a little about the lakes in the area.

Raintree is nice. It's a bit smaller, and limited to 21' boats. Property in that area is "cheaper" for "lakefront" type property, but you also arent allowed to have private docks. Docks are all community based docks. Not sure if they have a ski course set up.

Somewhat close to raintree lake is Lake Lotawana. That lake is a bit bigger, and you're allowed to have private docks along the lake. It's also a bit more expensive to live there. I know Lotawana has a ski club with a slalom course to use during the week.

There's also other lakes in the area that you can't live on. Smithville, is on the north side of KC, about 20 minutes from the downtown area, and there's Truman Lake, a bit south... as well as the ever popular Lake of the Ozarks and Table Rock about 2 and 4 hours away respectively. There's lots of fun in the area!

Check the kansascity.craigslist.org housing section, and search for Lotawana or Raintree... you'll get an idea of what the properties are like around those areas.

As far as ski season, this year we could have been skiing in February if you're brave enough. We had a very mild winter this year. Sometimes it doesn't even get over 50 until late into March. I have friends that wakeboard up until Halloween on some years, again, it just depends on how much you like colder water.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Bob B Bob B is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Boat: 197 ProStar 2002
Location: Lees Summit MO
Posts: 163
I live at Lake Raintree. It is approx. 300 acres. Yes, there is a slalom course.
The Mastercraft dealer I use is at Table Rock Lake, 200 miles but worth the drive. He does excellent work. (Ski & sports) My son used to completion slalom ski. Feb thru Nov. Dry suits in winter and wet suits in early spring.
The max. Lg on a powerboat is 21. Ft. (I have a2002 prostar 197).
…….
http://rlpoa.com/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-22-2012, 11:55 AM
JasterCraft's Avatar
JasterCraft JasterCraft is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: 2006 X-2 (my 7th MC)
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
I live at Lake Raintree. It is approx. 300 acres. Yes, there is a slalom course.
The Mastercraft dealer I use is at Table Rock Lake, 200 miles but worth the drive. He does excellent work. (Ski & sports) My son used to completion slalom ski. Feb thru Nov. Dry suits in winter and wet suits in early spring.
The max. Lg on a powerboat is 21. Ft. (I have a2002 prostar 197).
…….
http://rlpoa.com/

Good insider info!

I'm guessing that since it's got a slalom course, the lake "culture" is pretty ski/wake-friendly? I'd hate to get there and then be shunned because my boat has a tower. :-)

How busy does it get? My vision is that we could come home from work and take a ski set a few nights per week and then spend some time on the weekends too, which I'm sure is crowded in the warm months.

P.S. I've lived in Texas for the past 9 years...what is this wet suit you speak of?.............just kidding.
__________________
Troy
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Bob B Bob B is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Boat: 197 ProStar 2002
Location: Lees Summit MO
Posts: 163
Most slalom skiing is done early morning or evening. No traffic at all during the day. Fri nite thru Sunday evening you don’t use the course. Lots of wakeboarders.

Last edited by Bob B; 05-22-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-22-2012, 07:16 PM
d2jp's Avatar
d2jp d2jp is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Boat: 1992 PS 205-351w,285HO
Location: Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Posts: 905
I lived in Overland Park for about 4 years in the late '90's. The greater KC area is an awesome place to live. Great schools, restaurants, etc. Really enjoyed living there!`
__________________
Jack
-----------------------------------------
1992 ProSport 205
(Former) 1989 ProStar 190 Power Slot
Smith Mountain Lake, VA
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-22-2012, 10:38 PM
StrmChzr StrmChzr is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Boat: 2005 XStar
Location: Midwest
Posts: 213
I live south of Olathe near Hillsdale. HD can be good on weekdays but it's a zoo on the weekends.

I just boat an 05 XStar from MarineWorld in Wichita - so far i've liked their service. I know Williams Bros in Shell Knob is great dealer, but it's a windy road to Table Rock for a service visit.

If I were looking at KS versus MO living, be aware KS boat taxes are ridiculously high.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 AM
SkiDaddy's Avatar
SkiDaddy SkiDaddy is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2012
Boat: 1993 ProStar 190
Location: Kansas
Posts: 210
Hi Troy,

I live in Shawnee on the West side of town. Just got a "new to me" 1993 190 ProStar. So far we've only gone to Clinton Lake which is in Lawrence. It's about 35 miles away from where we live. Had a great outing there last night with the wife and two boys.

KC is a great place to live. I just wish we lived on a lake instead of having to trailer to the water.......oh well......some day.

Good luck with your house search!

Chip
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 AM
mzimme's Avatar
mzimme mzimme is offline
MC Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: 2006 20' Vdrive
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 5,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiDaddy View Post
Hi Troy,

I live in Shawnee on the West side of town. Just got a "new to me" 1993 190 ProStar. So far we've only gone to Clinton Lake which is in Lawrence. It's about 35 miles away from where we live. Had a great outing there last night with the wife and two boys.

KC is a great place to live. I just wish we lived on a lake instead of having to trailer to the water.......oh well......some day.

Good luck with your house search!

Chip
You should check out smithville sometime if you haven't been there. The last time I dropped my boat in, the first boat I saw come into the dock was an 86 prostar. We chatted a bit, and went out separate ways. Pretty cool seeing another older MC out on the water at the beginning of the day.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-23-2012, 10:17 AM
JasterCraft's Avatar
JasterCraft JasterCraft is offline
MC Devotee
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: 2006 X-2 (my 7th MC)
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,267
Thanks for all the info. I'll keep you all updated if/when we move and hopefully we'll meet up on the water!
__________________
Troy
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:40 AM.


2018